Can Humans Digest Dental Floss?

• Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strange
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential dangers of cats ingesting string or similar objects, such as yarn or dental floss. It is advised to keep these items out of a cat's reach to prevent potential health issues. The conversation also includes a message from a cat owner urging for more information on this topic to be included on a website. The response notes that cats are more prone to ingesting string than dogs and that it is best to have a veterinarian remove any string rather than pulling on it, as it can cause serious damage to the digestive tract.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
Can the human digestive system digest dental floss?

Biology news on Phys.org
Hi,

No, most of them are made of Nylon (plastic).

Ok, thank you.

It could cause problems.

Some cats run into problems when eating ribbons and the like.

Q: Dear Dr. Richards,

Two months ago, my three-year-old Russain blue became seriously ill, with symptoms of prolonged vomiting, severe dehydration, anorexia, and lethargy. Your website was one of several I reviewed for information on these symptoms as the veterinarians who were treating her tried to find the diagnosis.

Almost three weeks into her illness, the diagnosis became obvious when she started to pass yarn in her stools. Again, I went back to your website for information on "linear foreign bodies."

Unfortunately, this topic is not covered on your web site, nor is there information warning cat owners about preventing this type of health problem by keeping cats away from yarn, thread, dental floss, and similar household materials. After searching through over two dozen cat and pet manuals available in national bookstore chains, I found very little information there either.

Because the Internet has the potnetial for reaching many individuals, I would like to encourage you to put some information about this topic on your web site, warning cat owners about how to prevent this problem from occurring, as well as information on symptoms and treatment if a cat does ingest a linear foreign body.

As a cat owner for 20 years who also has a hobby of weaving and an entire room of yarns, I was totally unaware of the dangers until this incident with my cat. I hope you will consider adding some information to your web site so a tragedy can be prevented for another cat owner.

Thank you,
Connie

A: Dear Connie-

We will post your note on the site. Cats do appear to be much more prone to swallowing string and similar things like tinsel, yarn and fishing line than dogs. If there is obvious evidence of string disappearing down a cat's throat it is best to have your vet remove it rather than grabbing one end and pulling. The digestive tract has a hard time moving string through. Sometimes, instead of the string moving, the intestines will just bunch up around the string and if it is pulled it saws right through the intestine or esophagus. When cats appear to have symptoms of an intestinal obstruction such as persistent vomiting while being reluctant to eat, it is best to consider the possibility of a linear foreign body. Often these do not show up well on X-rays so it is sometimes necessary to do exploratory surgery to find them. It is best to keep string and yarn where the cat can't get into them and people with cat should probably avoid putting tinsel on their Christmas trees.

Mike Richards, DVM

So, may not be good for people to swallow as a general rule.

Guess we half to keep the floss up out of Matts reach. :rofl:

hypatia said:
Guess we half to keep the floss up out of Matts reach. :rofl:

Pfft, I'm tall enough to reach all the high shelves now! :tongue2:

Don't worry, I'm not planning anything.

1. Can humans digest dental floss?

No, humans cannot digest dental floss. It is made of synthetic materials that are not broken down by the digestive enzymes in our bodies.

2. What happens if a person accidentally swallows dental floss?

If a person accidentally swallows dental floss, it will pass through the digestive system and be excreted in the stool. It is unlikely to cause any harm unless it becomes tangled or causes a blockage.

3. Is it safe to use dental floss with fluoride?

Yes, it is safe to use dental floss with fluoride. Fluoride is a mineral that helps strengthen tooth enamel and prevent tooth decay. It is commonly found in toothpaste and mouthwash as well.

4. Can dental floss get stuck in the digestive tract?

While it is possible for dental floss to get stuck in the digestive tract, it is rare. The floss is thin and slippery, making it unlikely to cause a blockage. However, if you have a history of digestive issues, it may be best to avoid swallowing dental floss.

5. Is there a risk of ingesting harmful chemicals from dental floss?

The materials used in dental floss, such as nylon or Teflon, are considered safe for human use. However, it is important to choose a reputable brand and follow proper hygiene practices to minimize the risk of ingesting any harmful chemicals.