When Does Vector Addition Equal the Sum of Magnitudes?

• Thread starter antiflag403
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation is about understanding the circumstances in which the equation [(vector)C]= [(vector)A + (vector)B] is true and whether the equation [(vector)C]= [(vector)A - (vector)B] can also be true. The person is seeking guidance and suggests trying out some examples to better understand the concept. They also mention the dot product of two vectors as a potential tool for understanding.
antiflag403
Hey everyone,
I realize that this is a pretty simple problem but i can't seem to wrap my brain around it. If someone could point me in the right direction i would be thankful.
suppose (vector)C= (vector)A + (vector)B
a) under what circumstances does [(vector)C]= [(vector)A] + [(vector)B]? ( [ ]= absolute value)
b) could [(vector)C]= [(vector)A] - [(Vector)B]? if so how? if not, why not?
ok. for A i was thinking the only way that could be true is if both A and B had the same sign, but I am pretty sure that's wrong.
For B I don't think both C=A+B and [C]=[A]- could be true, but I am not sure why.
If someone could guide me in the right direction i would be grateful. THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you'll go a long way in understanding this if you try out some examples.

Why don't you try to check your equalities with the following:

1.) [itex]\vec{A}=3\hat{i}+4\hat{j}[/itex], [itex]\vec{B}=9\hat{i}+12\hat{j}[/itex]
2.) [itex]\vec{A}=3\hat{i}+4\hat{j}[/itex], [itex]\vec{B}=5\hat{i}+13\hat{i}[/itex]
3.) [itex]\vec{A}=3\hat{i}+4\hat{j}[/itex], [itex]\vec{B}=-3\hat{i}-4\hat{j}[/itex]
4.) [itex]\vec{A}=3\hat{i}+4\hat{j}[/itex], [itex]\vec{B}=0\hat{i}+0\hat{j}[/itex]

edited to add:

Have you been taught the dot product of two vectors?

Hello there,
It seems like you are struggling with understanding vector addition and subtraction. Let me try to explain it in simpler terms for you.

Firstly, let's define what a vector is. A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is usually represented by an arrow pointing in a specific direction.

Now, let's look at vector addition. When we add two vectors, we are essentially combining their magnitudes and directions. This means that the resulting vector will have a magnitude equal to the sum of the magnitudes of the two vectors and a direction that is determined by the angle between the two vectors. So, if vector A has a magnitude of 5 and vector B has a magnitude of 3, the resulting vector C will have a magnitude of 8 (5+3) and a direction determined by the angle between A and B.

To answer your first question, [(vector)C]= [(vector)A] + [(vector)B] is true when the two vectors are added in the same direction. This means that the angle between A and B is 0 degrees, making the direction of C the same as A and B.

Now, let's move on to vector subtraction. When we subtract one vector from another, we are essentially finding the difference between their magnitudes and directions. This means that the resulting vector will have a magnitude equal to the difference between the magnitudes of the two vectors and a direction determined by the angle between the two vectors. So, if vector A has a magnitude of 5 and vector B has a magnitude of 3, the resulting vector C will have a magnitude of 2 (5-3) and a direction determined by the angle between A and B.

To answer your second question, [(vector)C]= [(vector)A] - [(Vector)B] is possible if the two vectors are subtracted in the same direction. This means that the angle between A and B is 0 degrees, making the direction of C the same as A and B.

I hope this helps to clear things up for you. Remember, vectors are all about magnitude and direction, so make sure to pay attention to those when performing vector operations. Good luck!

1. What is a simple vector problem?

A simple vector problem involves solving for the magnitude and direction of a vector using basic algebraic operations. It can also involve finding the components of a vector given its magnitude and direction.

2. How do I solve a simple vector problem?

To solve a simple vector problem, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the vector and then use trigonometric functions to find the direction.

3. What are some common applications of simple vector problems?

Simple vector problems are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other branches of science to analyze the motion of objects and forces acting on them. They can also be used in navigation and mapping.

4. Can you provide an example of a simple vector problem?

Sure, here's an example: A ball is thrown with an initial velocity of 20 m/s at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal. What is the horizontal and vertical component of its velocity?

5. What are some tips for solving simple vector problems?

Some helpful tips for solving simple vector problems include drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, breaking down the vector into its components, and using the correct trigonometric functions for finding the direction.