Installing Ubuntu on Phillips CD-ROM: Can I Use an External Drive?

In summary, the individual encountered issues while trying to install Ubuntu on their computer due to compatibility with the CD-ROM. They inquired about installing from an external CD drive or directly from the hard drive, but both options did not work and resulted in the "grub>" prompt. They sought assistance from others and were advised to enter specific commands at the prompt to potentially resolve the issue.
sid_galt
I tried installing Ubuntu on my computer. Turns out that the CD-ROM is not compatible with it (it's phillips). Can I install it from an external CD drive (my computer does not boot from external CD Drives)? If so, how?
I don't have a floppy drive so I can't use boot floppies.

I also contemplated installing straight from the harddrive as documented https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Installation/FromWindows" .

However this isn't working either as on boot, it just shows me the
Code:
grub>

prompt.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Try entering these commands at the grub> command line and see if it helps

Code:
 root (hd0,1)
 setup (hd0)
 quit

Then you can reboot with ctrl-alt-del

Yes, it is possible to install Ubuntu from an external CD drive if your computer does not have a built-in CD drive. However, since your computer does not boot from external CD drives, you will need to use a different method to install Ubuntu.

One option is to create a bootable USB drive with the Ubuntu ISO file. You can use a tool like Rufus or UNetbootin to create the bootable USB drive. Then, you can boot from the USB drive and proceed with the installation process.

Another option is to install Ubuntu from a network. This requires another computer on the same network that has a built-in CD drive and is already running Ubuntu. You can follow the instructions on the Ubuntu website for installing from a network.

If neither of these options are feasible for you, you can also try installing Ubuntu using a virtual machine. This would allow you to run Ubuntu within your current operating system without affecting your computer's boot process.

As for the issue with the grub prompt, it seems like the installation may not have completed successfully. You may need to try the installation again using one of the methods mentioned above. If you continue to have issues, you can seek support from the Ubuntu community or consult the documentation for further troubleshooting steps.

What is Ubuntu?

Ubuntu is a free and open-source operating system based on the Linux kernel. It is known for its user-friendly interface and customizable features.

Why would I want to install Ubuntu on a Phillips CD-ROM?

Installing Ubuntu on a Phillips CD-ROM allows you to use the operating system on a computer that does not have a built-in CD/DVD drive. It also allows for a portable and versatile way to use Ubuntu on different devices.

Can I use an external drive to install Ubuntu on my Phillips CD-ROM?

Yes, you can use an external drive to install Ubuntu on your Phillips CD-ROM. You will need to make sure that your computer's BIOS is set to boot from the external drive, and follow the same installation process as you would with a regular CD/DVD drive.

Will my Phillips CD-ROM be compatible with Ubuntu?

In most cases, yes, your Phillips CD-ROM will be compatible with Ubuntu. However, it is always recommended to check the system requirements for Ubuntu and make sure your CD-ROM meets them before attempting to install the operating system.

Is there a specific version of Ubuntu that is best for installing on a Phillips CD-ROM?

There is not a specific version of Ubuntu that is better for installing on a Phillips CD-ROM. However, it is recommended to use a lightweight version of Ubuntu, such as Xubuntu or Lubuntu, to ensure smooth performance on older or less powerful devices.