Grade K-12 Explained: What It Is & What It Means

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, K-12 refers to the grade levels before college, typically starting with kindergarten and ending with 12th grade. In the UK, the final year is known as year 13, which is equivalent to 12th grade in the US. The site rules also specify that users must be at least 13 years old to join, so it is unlikely for there to be questions from younger students.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I really have no clue what grade K-12 means..

Physics news on Phys.org
Kindergarden through 12-th grade. (everything before college and after pre-school)

The final year at our schools in the UK are for 17/18 year olds. We call them year 13s, so I suppose that is 13th Grade?

i wonder if we would seriously expect to get K through 5 or 6 level questions on this board... imagine if we had 8 years olds asking us for help to multiply 2 digit numbers...

or kindergartners asking for help to learn how to read

chuckles.

Originally posted by Adrian Baker
The final year at our schools in the UK are for 17/18 year olds. We call them year 13s, so I suppose that is 13th Grade?

You could call it 13th grade, but it's equivalent to 12th grade in an American school (which is also for 17/18 year olds). Perhaps what American schools call "kindergarten", you call "year 1", so you start your numbering earlier.

Originally posted by lethe
i wonder if we would seriously expect to get K through 5 or 6 level questions on this board...

Especially since the site rules specifically state that one must be at least 13 years old to join!

Yeah, but kids do ask tricky questions, don't they? So there might be some parents looking for help...

1. What is Grade K-12?

Grade K-12 refers to the educational levels from kindergarten (K) through 12th grade. It is the standard system used in the United States to organize and categorize levels of education.

2. What subjects are covered in Grade K-12?

Grade K-12 education covers a variety of subjects such as language arts, mathematics, science, social studies, and physical education. As students progress through each grade level, the curriculum becomes more complex and specialized.

3. What is the purpose of Grade K-12 education?

The purpose of Grade K-12 education is to provide a structured and comprehensive learning experience for students. It aims to develop their knowledge, skills, and critical thinking abilities, preparing them for higher education and future careers.

4. How is Grade K-12 different from other educational systems?

Grade K-12 is unique to the United States, but similar systems exist in other countries. What sets it apart is the inclusion of kindergarten as the first year of formal education, and the organization of grade levels into elementary, middle, and high school.

5. What are the benefits of Grade K-12 education?

Grade K-12 education provides a strong foundation for students to build upon as they progress through higher education and enter the workforce. It also allows for a more structured and comprehensive learning experience, ensuring students are well-equipped for future challenges.