How safe is a digital-TV repeater?

by logics
Tags: digitaltv, repeater, safe
Share this thread:
xxChrisxx
May11-12, 11:55 AM
P: 2,043
Seriously OP. Ask yourself this.

Why does it matter what the level is where you sleep?
Why are you more vulnerable when you are asleep?
DragonPetter
May11-12, 11:55 AM
P: 834
Quote Quote by logics View Post
I do not know if you have children [around]. But I am not saying I believe anything, I only would like to know, roughly, what field strength might be. I'll decide whether to worry only afterwards.
I'm too young to have children yet. I think a good idea would be to call the owner of the transmitting station and ask them what safety hazards you are susceptible to by living where you are, and what documentation they have of standards and procedures used when they established the station. Perhaps you could call a local public administration office and tell them your concerns? I don't think building an anechoic chamber house is very practical or necessary.
xxChrisxx
May11-12, 12:04 PM
P: 2,043
I've got to post this before the thread gets locked.

As there is no proper evidence for a link between the low level EMF or RF and really any adverse effects. The site you linked to is a crackpot site, that is breeding fear to sell you the cure to the disorder you don't have.

The following is not a flippant remark, but your should seriously consider:
Hypochondria
Psychosomatic Illness.

Both are more harmful than that transmitter.
DragonPetter
May11-12, 12:07 PM
P: 834
Quote Quote by xxChrisxx View Post
Seriously OP. Ask yourself this.

Why does it matter what the level is where you sleep?
Why are you more vulnerable when you are asleep?
I would guess the idea is that during sleep your brain does a lot of organization and processing of information and memories. Also, your body performs a lot of maintenance functions during sleep. They probably think that EM waves disrupt these processes.
Drakkith
May11-12, 03:54 PM
Mentor
P: 11,532
Quote Quote by logics View Post
I do not know if you have children [around]. But I am not saying I believe anything, I only would like to know, roughly, what field strength might be. I'll decide whether to worry only afterwards.
It's pretty obvious that you have already decided that it is unsafe, otherwise you wouldn't be here asking this question. The fact is that small amounts of this type of EMR have never been scientifically shown to have ANY effect, positive or negative, to people nearby.

Anyways, a quick rough calculation gave me about 2 microwatts using the formula here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law#Example
Bobbywhy
May11-12, 11:02 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,881
Here is a website that appears to be legitimate (not a crackpot outfit more interested in selling products) that gives information on potential health effects:

“Biological Effects
There are two undisputed health effects that can occur with exposure to high levels of RF energy:
Heating of the human body
Electrostimulation (RF shocks and burns)

Although some researchers believe that exposure to low-level fields for long periods of time can result in other harmful effects, none of these nonthermal effects are the basis of any of the major standards in the world. And while research and the debate continues over low-level effects, body heating and shocks and burns have never been disputed.

RF radiation is almost exclusively an occupational problem. It is rare for someone to be exposed to significant RF field levels outside of work. There is one major exception. The proliferation of wireless antennas on rooftops has made public exposure and exposure to workers outside the electronics industry a concern for anyone that goes on a rooftop.”
http://www.rfsafetysolutions.com/RF%...l_Effects.html

Once you decide to investigate the radiation in your home you must measure it. Here are some US Federal Standards with recommendations:

“Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Health Effects
Electric and magnetic fields are complex physical agents whose potential health effects are the subject of much research. Particularly controversial are the biophysical mechanisms by which these RF fields may affect biological systems. General health effects reviews explore possible carcinogenic, reproductive and neurological effects. Health effects by exposure source are noted in radar traffic devices, wireless communications with cellular phones, radio transmission, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).”
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/radiofrequencyradiation/

These may help you decide what’s best for you and your family.
logics
May12-12, 01:31 AM
P: 137
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
It's pretty obvious that you have already decided that it is unsafe, otherwise you wouldn't be here asking this question.
If I had decided, I wouldn't ask anyone, just move, I suppose 1 Km (= 0.02) would be safe. Of course, I was joking before , with jitbell

I did not even read the link I quoted, so I do not know what some of you are talking about. I quoted the first link I found in a Google-search: "Bau Biologie exposure standars", my only intent was to quote the standards I read in the article, (you can check , that's the first to pop up), are you so competent to disprove Bau standards?

I wrote here just to get a vague idea about what the value (you say 2 ?) of field strength might be, as I am not sure: if /4π applies when a beam is highly directional, ...what is the absorption of a wall ,... what is the wavelenght of TV repeaters and so on...I expected this kind [of] replies,

It's better be safe than sorry, I suppose (remember the thalidomide tragedy?), I am quite ancient, any way ready to go, not much worried about myself. Recently there has been an alert by WHO for cellphones etc. (you can find many videos on youtube (ELECTROSMOG21,EMFWATCH etc).

But that is not the problem, this is a physics subforum, I asked only for scientific data. Thank you.
Vanadium 50
May12-12, 06:18 AM
Mentor
P: 16,164
Locked pending moderation.

Register to reply