Collision in Western Australia, Australia

In summary, a lady was killed in a car accident caused by a drunk driver traveling in the wrong direction on the freeway. The lady was going 27.77m/s and the driver was going 41.66m/s. Assuming both vehicles weigh 1000kg each and there was no impact force dissipated, it is difficult to calculate the impact force without more detailed information about the cars. The force would depend on the deformation of both cars and can be calculated using Newtonian motion equations. The nationality of the members in the forum is irrelevant in this scenario. The specified figures are appropriate and the velocity unit used is m/s.
Psalter
As i am new to these forums i do not have any idea of how many of the members might be from Australia. But here is the scenario, it happened 2 days ago i beleive.

A lady was killed when a drunk driver was heading down the free way... in the wrong direction . She was going (v)= 27.77m/s. he was going (v)= 41.66m/s

Assuming that each of their vehicle collided directly and their was no impact force dissapated or redirected by "riccochet" What would be the impact force be if both their vehicles weighed 1000kg each. (including driver)

If you have any queries or need clarification please don't hesitate. I don't have any idea how to calculate the following or i would

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot calculate the "force" without much more detailed information about each vehicle. Are your four significant figures appropriate? Is this a hypothetical (homework) problem, or some morbid fascination with recent tragedy? Why is nationality relevant?

Last edited:
The force depends on the deformation of both cars and is pretty difficult to calculate. That's what crash tests are for. But you might try assuming the pair decelerates linearly from its 70m/s closing speed to zero in 2 meters (1 for each car), and plug that into the Newtonian motion equations.

Last edited:
What about pure amount of force at the moment of impact, not over a lineal time frame ?

As you can tell i am very much a physics noob --.--, didn't pay enough attention at school and then decided to drop out and become a chef... big mistake .

As for the deceleration, i think that would be a appropriate to say that they decelerated from 70m/s to zero in 2 meters

For this instance should we say that crumple points do not exist on the cars and compensate for that by taking off 25% of the resulting force in the calculations to take into account crumple points, as inaccurate as this may be.

In reply to Csfrogs post,

I only mentioned nationality because chances are if you were in australia you would of heard about the crash.
Its a morbid fascination
The figures specified are appropriate, from my my previous knowledge in physics i know the general velocity unit of measurement is m/s so i took the time to convert the speeds.

Off topic question, Why did you pick Caesium?

Last edited:
Still would like some help with this please guys

1. What caused the collision in Western Australia, Australia?

The collision in Western Australia, Australia was caused by two objects, most likely vehicles, colliding with each other.

2. How severe was the collision?

The severity of the collision depends on various factors such as the speed of the vehicles, the size of the objects involved, and the impact angle. Without further information, it is difficult to determine the severity of the collision in Western Australia, Australia.

3. Were there any injuries or fatalities?

It is possible that there were injuries or fatalities as a result of the collision in Western Australia, Australia. However, this information has not been provided and would require further investigation.

4. What steps are being taken to prevent future collisions in Western Australia, Australia?

This information is not available, as it would depend on the specific circumstances and causes of the collision. However, measures such as enforcing traffic laws and promoting safe driving practices can help prevent future collisions.

5. Has there been any damage to property as a result of the collision?

It is possible that there was damage to property as a result of the collision in Western Australia, Australia. This could include damage to the vehicles involved or any nearby structures. Without further information, it is difficult to determine the extent of the damage caused.