Orthogonal Basis: Importance & Benefits

In summary, an orthogonal basis is important because it allows for simpler calculations and a stronger foundation in areas such as Fourier series and harmonic analysis. However, in a curved space, it is not always possible to find mutually orthogonal basis vectors. In this case, other non-orthogonal vectors can still be used as a basis, but the calculations may be more difficult.
matqkks
Why is an orthogonal basis important?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
They're important in so many ways. For example, in Fourier series, where we can say

[tex]x=\sum_{i=1}^n{\frac{<x,e_i>}{<e_i,e_i>}e_i}[/tex]

And this provides the very foundation for trigonometric series and harmonic analysis.

Because basis vectors have got to be orthogonal ( perpendicular ) so that they are Linearly Independent and one of them can not be formed from any combo of others.

Take i , j , k

can you solve for a ,b ,c in ai+bj+ck = 0 without setting all to zero ?

stallionx said:
Because basis vectors have got to be orthogonal ( perpendicular ) so that they are Linearly Independent and one of them can not be formed from any combo of others.
They don't have to be orthogonal. In an arbitrary curved space, it is not generally possible to find basis vectors that are mutually orthogonal.

WannabeNewton said:
They don't have to be orthogonal. In an arbitrary curved space, it is not generally possible to find basis vectors that are mutually orthogonal.

But one will have a projection unto another, is not this an infraction of " linear independency " ?

is not this an infraction of " linear independency

No it is not an infraction.

Any set of enough non parallel vectors from a vector space can be used as a basis.
However finding the correct coefficients is more difficult (laborious) than for an orthogonal set since the orthogonality means they can be found one at a time.

What is an orthogonal basis?

An orthogonal basis is a set of vectors that are mutually perpendicular to each other. This means that the angle between any two vectors in the set is 90 degrees. In other words, the vectors are linearly independent and span the entire vector space.

Why is an orthogonal basis important in mathematics and science?

Orthogonal bases have many applications in mathematics and science. One of the most important uses is in linear algebra, where they are used to simplify calculations and solve systems of equations. They are also used in signal processing, image compression, and computer graphics.

What are the benefits of using an orthogonal basis?

Using an orthogonal basis has several benefits, including simplifying calculations, reducing computational complexity, and improving numerical stability. Additionally, orthogonal bases allow for easier visualization and interpretation of data, making it easier to understand and analyze complex systems.

How do you find an orthogonal basis?

To find an orthogonal basis, one can use the Gram-Schmidt process. This involves taking a set of linearly independent vectors and orthogonalizing them by projecting each vector onto the subspace spanned by the previous vectors. This process results in a set of orthogonal vectors that form an orthogonal basis.

Can an orthogonal basis be non-orthonormal?

Yes, an orthogonal basis can be non-orthonormal. An orthonormal basis is a special case of an orthogonal basis where all the vectors have unit length. However, in some applications, it may be useful to have an orthogonal basis without the constraint of unit length. In these cases, the basis is still considered orthogonal, but not orthonormal.