Virtual Particles: What is Known & Effects on Spacetime, Matter, Light

In summary, virtual particles are theoretical and have never been observed [not experimentally verified]. For some reason I haven't figured out, people think virtual photons play a part in near field antenna radiation.
binbots
All I ever hear about Feynman’s virtual particles is that they are created then destroy each other in a short period of time. I was wondering what else we know about these particles? How often is this occurring? How big are these particles? What if any affects do these particles have on spacetime, matter, and light? Do these particles on exist in the vacuum of space? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Ignore the part about reactive energy in the near field of an antenna being composed of virtual photons. That's all wrong.

The electrostatic (DC) fields are virtual photons but the AC near fields are real photons.

In addition to the reference mentioned above:

Virtual particles are theoretical and have never been observed [not experimentally verified].
For some reason I haven't figured out, people think virtual photons play a part in near field antenna radiation.

Here is a closely realated article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_energy

I'll excerpt just a few key ideas:

Vacuum energy is an underlying background energy that exists in space even when the space is devoid of matter (free space). The concept of vacuum energy has been deduced from the concept of virtual particles, which is itself derived from the energy-time uncertainty principle...Vacuum energy can also be thought of in terms of virtual particles (also known as vacuum fluctuations) which are created and destroyed out of the vacuum. These particles are always created out of the vacuum in particle-antiparticle pairs, which shortly annihilate each other and disappear. However, these particles and antiparticles may interact with others before disappearing, a process which can be mapped using Feynman diagrams. (but these virtual particles are not observable) ...the Casimir effect is no certain proof for vacuum energy since it can also be explained without this theory.[4]

Other predictions are harder to verify. Vacuum fluctuations are always created as particle/antiparticle pairs. The creation of these virtual particles near the event horizon of a black hole has been hypothesized by physicist Stephen Hawking to be a mechanism for the eventual "evaporation" of black holes.

...Hawking Radiation from another source...(also not directly observable)

http://www.physics.ucdavis.edu/Text/Carlip.html#Hawkrad
(I know Wikipedia also discusses Hawking Radiation)

Hawking's mathematical development of Hawking Radiation does not explicitly involve virtual particles; he used virtual particles as an intuitive description of how radiation might originate.

please use the search function here in the forum; there are many threads regarding virtual particles and both their usefulness and uselessness

Antiphon:

Ignore the part about reactive energy in the near field of an antenna being composed of virtual photons. That's all wrong.

Thanks...

As I posted already, I never could make sense of virtual photons there...have you any
source...especially anything I can read online..

1. What are virtual particles?

Virtual particles are particles that are believed to exist temporarily as fluctuations in the quantum vacuum. They are not observable in the traditional sense, but their effects can be measured.

2. How do virtual particles affect spacetime?

Virtual particles can cause ripples in the fabric of spacetime, altering the geometry and curvature of space. This is known as the Casimir effect and has been observed in experiments.

3. Can virtual particles interact with matter?

Yes, virtual particles can interact with matter through the strong and weak nuclear forces. They are responsible for the decay of unstable particles and can also contribute to the mass of particles through the Higgs mechanism.

4. Do virtual particles have an impact on light?

Virtual particles can affect the behavior of light, as they can act as intermediaries in electromagnetic interactions. They can also contribute to the polarization and scattering of light.

5. How do scientists study virtual particles?

Scientists study virtual particles through theoretical models and experiments. They use mathematical equations and simulations to understand their behavior and effects on the physical world.