Matrices in Microsoft Word 2007

• Thread starter Despondent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary: To create a matrix in Word 2007, you first need to create a template. This can be done by clicking on the Insert menu and selecting Object. From the list of options, select Matrix. The Matrix template will appear. In the Matrix Template dialog box, you will need to enter the number of rows and columns you would like the matrix to have. You can also adjust the Spacing and other Matrix properties. After filling in the necessary information, click OK. You now have a matrix template. To create a matrix using this template, you simply right-click on the matrix and select Insert. From the menu that appears, select Matrix. The Matrix dialog box will appear. Here, you can fill in the values for the matrix.
Despondent
Hey everyone. I can't figure out how to use "Equation Tools" to enter a matrix with dimensions of my choosing. I can only find a very limited set of default matrix sizes to choose from, such as 1 by 2, 3 by 3 and 4 by 4, which are not sufficient for my purposes. More specifically, I'm trying to use "Equation Tools" to generate an empty 6 by 5 matrix which I can put values into. Can someone explain how I can go about doing this? Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I am not sure what you mean by "Equation tools".

I use Microsoft Equation 3.0 found under the Insert menu.

Insert -> object -> Microsoft Equation 3.0.

This sequence brings up the equation editor, Select the matrix template and fill in the numbers you want.

Unfortunately with the transitition from Word 2003 to 2007, MS decided to be a nuisance and perform a complete overhaul of the interface. It doesn't have Equation 3.0 anymore, it's been replaced with Equation Tools which has a rather poor set of matrix options compared to it's predecessor. Thanks anyway, I'll try to make do with what I've got.

Edit: After googling again, I found the answer. You can just create any matrix and then right click on it, go to insert, and you can choose from inserting columns or rows before or after the current row or column.

Last edited:
It seems that this would be a perfect opportunity to learn LaTeX, which makes typing math relatively painless (especially compared to Microsoft Word). For example:
[tex]
\pmb{\mathsf{E}} =
\begin{bmatrix}
\epsilon_0 & \epsilon_1 & \epsilon_2 & \ldots & \epsilon_{s}\\
\epsilon_{-1} & \epsilon_0 & \epsilon_1 & \ldots & \epsilon_{(s-1)} \\
\epsilon_{-2} & \epsilon_{-1} & \epsilon_0 & \ldots & \epsilon_{(s-2)} \\
\vdots & \vdots & \vdots & \ddots & \vdots \\
\epsilon_{-s} & \epsilon_{(-s+1)} & \epsilon_{(-s+2)}& \ldots & \epsilon_0 \\
\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

I'd like to offer an alternative opinion. I'm extremely impressed with the math editor in Word 2007 and I appreciate all the hard work that went into it. I've never found anything that I can do in Latex that I cannot do in Word 2007. Just like Latex, however, you have to learn how to use it. One is not better than the other, they are just different. Personally, I use Word 2007 when I am trying to quickly produce a document that is rich in math content. I can usually do this much more quickly in Word. I use Latex primarily when I am working on a professional publication, mostly to take advantage of everything else Latex has to offer.

In order to create larger matrices, simply insert one of the default matrices. Then, right click on the newly-created matrix. You will see on the menu the ability to add/delete rows and columns. You can also adjust many aspects of the matrix spacing, which is quite useful. This is a recurring theme with the equation editor. You can often right-click on something after you insert it in order to make adjustments. For some people, the graphical interface allows for faster editing.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
It is so typical (and naive) for a neophyte to choose a graphical interface for entering essentially textual information...

It is typical, though not necessarily naive, for a neophyte to use a graphical user interface for essentially textual information. A gui often better suits the purposes of that type of user, e.g., a more intuitive interface with a reduced learning curve (particularly for casual use). Furthermore, Word 2007 provides a more intuitive typesetting capability, which is essentially non-textual information and is implicit in much "word processing" use. Lastly, while many standards exist, Microsoft Word is the de facto standard for word processing if we consider the general population -- while many, often superior, alternatives exist for it -- it is generally the most widely used word processor which helps in collaboration. Certainly, this may depend on the context in which you use it, e.g., certain academics will require submission of publications in LaTeX. Arguably, Word 2007 does not abide by this de facto standard, as backward compatibility is limited, although it exists.

That stated, it may be of note that Word 2007 has adopted a lot of LaTeX syntax. You can often use LaTeX syntax to achieve the same results you are looking for without needing to recompile and the results are more immediately gratifying and verifiable. However, Word 2007 does not use the same syntax as LaTeX for matrices. Rather they use a modified form, as follows:

\matrix(11&12&13&14@21&22&23&24@31&32&33&34@41&42&43&44)

Word 2007 will turn the "\matrix" into what a black square as you type it. This is normal. Word 2007 will turn the remainder of your text into the appropriately sized matrix after any character typed after the ")". Typing the space character will often force Word 2007 to "compile" previous code without actually inserting a space.

Last edited:
How does one insert bold oblique (ie, not italic) capital letters to represent matrices within equations? I found one reference to the style function within EE (with which I'm familiar in pre-W2007 EE), but was unable to locate it in the 2007 version. Murray Sargent III's 2006 reference work on plain-text encoding was silent on the issue.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

LaTeX is -- hands-down -- superior to every version of GUI equation editors. Anyone who doesn't want to learn it is lazy. With LaTeX, you learn it ONCE, and you'll never need to learn a new equation editor again. It's like riding a bike.

All these GUI editors are garbage. They want to reinvent the wheel and put square wheels on my bike, so I have to learn how to ride my bike on their new triangular-grooved roads every time they change their editor.

You will note that the Word 2007 equation editor allows many pieces of LaTeX code as input. The BEST GUI equation editor will be one that allows the entirety of LaTeX code as input.

Bottom line: get the commercialized politics out of basic stuff like equation typesetting, and let's move onto more important things in life. LaTeX is EASY when it comes to typesetting equations. It takes less than an hour to learn, and you won't need to hunt down symbols in endless menus with your mouse ever again (usually, only to discover that the symbol is NOT there!). It takes less than a minute to google something like "math symbols latex" to get a comprehensive listing of every conceivable math symbol in the world, ...it takes ten minutes to hunt down a symbol buried in a series of menus -- and they usually aren't there, or are some unwanted version of the symbol.

Incidentally, when it comes to making arbitrary-dimension arrays/matrices with the new editor -- if you really have to add one column and one row at a time, this is an UNINTUITIVE and UNINSPIRED equation editor. It makes me want to use Word less than five years ago. I only use Word/Office when I have something mindlessly simple to create for others -- and usually find that I can generate it in LaTeX in less than half the time.

I'll stick with an efficient equation typesetting program. I value my time -- and yours.

====8<------------------------

I am able to generate in MS Word - matrices but without the brackets. How to get matrices with the enclosing brackets? Can we choose the brackets? curved, square or flower. Thanks in advance. I am really stuck up here.

@manjuvenamma --

I have never been able to achieve this in linear mode, but in professional (WYSIWYG) mode, enter your matrix. Then highlight the entire matrix and use one of the Bracket options on the Design menu. Hope this works for you.

It worked. And thanks a lot!

manjuvenamma said:
It worked. And thanks a lot!

The other thing you could have done is go into Word, Tables (drop down arrow), select Excel Spreadsheet, and done you work in an Excel sheet inserted automatically in the Word document.

You could just press the bracket button on the keyboard...

As in [\matrix(&@)] for a 2x2 matrix.

manjuvenamma said:
I am able to generate in MS Word - matrices but without the brackets. How to get matrices with the enclosing brackets? Can we choose the brackets? curved, square or flower. Thanks in advance. I am really stuck up here.

@manjuvenamma..
cld u pls brief me how u were able to generate matrix and how u ended up adding brackets to it in ms word 2007? .. thanks!

Okay Despondent I got correct answer for your problem. According to the title I think you have Word 2007. First go to the insert tab in the GUI of word 2007. Then go to the object button press it .After that in create new tab choose object type Microsoft Equation 3.0. After you pressed that there is a small window comes. Bottom right corner of that window you see matrix template button.After you pressed that there is a small drop down list comes .In bottom right corner there is a button you should press it .After you press that there is a small window appears and set configuration as you wanted and press ok.Then you can enter your value to matrix template as you wanted. But the problem is there is no brackets.But you have not told in your problem that you need brackets too .Because of that I won't tell how create brackets.

What is a matrix in Microsoft Word 2007?

A matrix in Microsoft Word 2007 is a grid of cells that can contain text, numbers, and formulas. It is commonly used for organizing and analyzing data or creating tables.

How do I create a matrix in Microsoft Word 2007?

To create a matrix in Microsoft Word 2007, go to the "Insert" tab and click on "Table." Choose the number of rows and columns you want for your matrix, and it will automatically be inserted into your document.

Can I perform calculations on a matrix in Microsoft Word 2007?

Yes, you can perform calculations on a matrix in Microsoft Word 2007 by using Excel functions. Simply select the cells you want to include in your calculation and type the desired formula in the formula bar at the top of the document.

How do I edit a matrix in Microsoft Word 2007?

To edit a matrix in Microsoft Word 2007, simply click on any cell within the matrix and type in your desired text or numbers. You can also use the "Table Tools" tab to make formatting changes such as changing the cell borders or background color.

Can I copy and paste a matrix from other programs into Microsoft Word 2007?

Yes, you can copy and paste a matrix from other programs into Microsoft Word 2007. Simply select the cells you want to copy, right-click, and choose "Copy." Then, go to your Word document and right-click where you want to paste the matrix, and choose "Paste."