Help me with this equation from Invariance of interval

In summary: The assumption that we make in this note is that the symmetric property of the metric holds for all b: that is, that b\equiv ba for all b in the range of the metric. This is known as the assumption ofinvariance of the metric. Now, one might wonder why we need to make this assumption. After all, we're not going to be changing the coordinates around so much, are we? The answer is that the metric can be used to describe distances and times in other ways as well. For example, suppose we have a coordinate system in which the x-axis is pointing towards the positive z-axis, and the y-axis is pointing downwards. Then
dpa
Here is an equation from proof of invariance of interval:
This equation is from bernard schutz's first course in GR:

attachment.php?attachmentid=42909&stc=1&d=1327144022.png

I could not understand what M stands for.

Can someone help me with this?

I don't have advanced knowledge. I am a beginner UG.

Attachments

• asd.PNG
    asd.PNG
    1.2 KB · Views: 497
Physics news on Phys.org
M is the metric, in most other books it is labeled g. It is essentially the object which maps changes in the coordinates (Δx) to distances and times (Δs).

For example, if you have a spherical coordinate system in flat spacetime then your coordinates would be [itex]x=(t,r,\theta,\phi)[/itex], but if θ changes by 1, how much does s change? That is what M contains.

Last edited:
To Piggy Back onto this question, I am confused as to the Note regarding this metric. Why exactly may we assume that the element Mab=Mba? I do not understand what they mean by the fact that Mab+Mba only appears when b doest not equal a.

Thank You,

-PD

PSMD said:
To Piggy Back onto this question, I am confused as to the Note regarding this metric. Why exactly may we assume that the element Mab=Mba? I do not understand what they mean by the fact that Mab+Mba only appears when b does not equal a.

The equation you've quoted above is only one particular application of the metric. More generally, the metric is used to calculate the dot-product of two vectors [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]Y[/itex] with components [itex]X^{i}[/itex] and [itex]Y^{i}[/itex]: [itex]X\cdot{Y} = g_{ab}X^{a}Y^{b}[/itex]
(Here I've written the metric as a lower-case g instead of an upper-case M because that's more common, and I've used the Einstein summation convention in which we sum across pairs of repeated indices - you'll see this a lot in GR)

You'll notice that if you compute the dot-product of a vector with itself, you'll get exactly the equation you quoted (with the [itex]\Delta{\chi}^{a}[/itex] being the components of the vector and the dot-product being the square of the length of the vector, that is, the interval between the two ends of the vector).

Because the dot-product is commutative [itex]X\cdot{Y}=Y\cdot{X}[/itex], it follows that [itex]g_{ab}=g_{ba}[/itex]. When a tensor has this property, we say that it is symmetric, and because the metric tensor is defined to produce the dot-product of vectors, it has to be symmetric.

Last edited:

What does the equation for Invariance of Interval represent?

The equation for Invariance of Interval represents the relationship between time and space in special relativity. It states that the interval between two events in spacetime is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

How is the Invariance of Interval equation derived?

The Invariance of Interval equation is derived from the Lorentz transformation, which is a mathematical formula that describes how measurements of time and space change for observers in different frames of reference.

What are the implications of the Invariance of Interval equation?

The Invariance of Interval equation has significant implications for our understanding of time and space. It means that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. It also implies that the speed of light is constant for all observers.

How does the Invariance of Interval equation relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

The Invariance of Interval equation is a fundamental principle in Einstein's theory of relativity. It is one of the key concepts that led to the development of the theory and is essential for understanding the relationship between time and space in the universe.

Can the Invariance of Interval equation be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, the Invariance of Interval equation can be applied to everyday situations. It is used in many modern technologies, such as GPS systems, which rely on the principles of special relativity to accurately measure time and space. It also helps us understand phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction, which can occur at high speeds.