Estabilishing a Statistically Based Causal Relationship

• Thread starter X89codered89X
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relationship
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of causation and how it can be proven in the traditional sense of logic. It also touches on the relationship between causation and correlation and how causation can be non-linear. The mention of Judea Pearl and his work on causality through Bayesian networks is also brought up.
X89codered89X
Hi all,

I was curious about how i would go about showing that samples of a variable separated in time may have a causal relationship. This actually may be more stochastic processes than pure statistics becuase I'm assuming random variables [itex] X, Y [/itex] have distributions [itex] f(x; k), g(y;k) [/itex] where k is a discrete index representing time samples. How would I prove that X->Y in the traditional sense of logic that "Given X, then Y", where the truth of this statement ranges from -1 to 1.

Also just my thinking but "Given Y, then X" would not just be the negative of "Given X, then Y"

I don't have anything in my stat book about this, but maybe it's just too basic? Not Sure. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you expect a causal relation? X->Y for some k?
You can find a correlation (if there is one), but that won't give you a causal relationship between both.

X->Y where X comes before Y? You cannot rule out a common influence on both just based on that correlation, but at least you can rule out Y->X.

X89codered89X said:
How would I prove that X->Y in the traditional sense of logic that "Given X, then Y", where the truth of this statement ranges from -1 to 1.

In the traditional sense of logic, the truth of "If X then Y" doesn't range from -1 to 1. In traditional logic, the truth of "If X then Y" is either true or false and it is a function of the truth or falsity of the propositions X,Y.. So you need to rephrase your question.

("Implication" is a topic of traditional logic. "Causation" is not. In fact, mathematics does have any standard definition for "causation". Discussions of causation are in the scope of Philosophy and Metaphysics.)

Judea Pearl has done quite a bit of work on causality, especially through Bayesian networks. Googling his name, you will find quite a few general-audience articles that might be interesting.

More mathematically, we may consider Bayesian Networks through graphical models and consider "interventions" in the model. In particular, see "Causal inference in statistics:
An overview" by Pearl at http://ftp.cs.ucla.edu/pub/stat_ser/r350.pdf

Everyone always like to say "Correlation does not imply Causation", so it is nice to be able to think about the other direction!

Last edited by a moderator:
X89codered89X said:
Hi all,

I was curious about how i would go about showing that samples of a variable separated in time may have a causal relationship. This actually may be more stochastic processes than pure statistics becuase I'm assuming random variables [itex] X, Y [/itex] have distributions [itex] f(x; k), g(y;k) [/itex] where k is a discrete index representing time samples. How would I prove that X->Y in the traditional sense of logic that "Given X, then Y", where the truth of this statement ranges from -1 to 1.

Also just my thinking but "Given Y, then X" would not just be the negative of "Given X, then Y"

I don't have anything in my stat book about this, but maybe it's just too basic? Not Sure. Thanks for the help.

If X and Y are correlated, then they may have a causal relationship. If not correlated, then no causal relationship. If it is stochastic processes, they might be correlated with some delay.

mathandpi said:
Judea Pearl has done quite a bit of work on causality, especially through Bayesian networks. Googling his name, you will find quite a few general-audience articles that might be interesting.

More mathematically, we may consider Bayesian Networks through graphical models and consider "interventions" in the model. In particular, see "Causal inference in statistics:
An overview" by Pearl at http://ftp.cs.ucla.edu/pub/stat_ser/r350.pdf

Everyone always like to say "Correlation does not imply Causation", so it is nice to be able to think about the other direction!

Math and Pi: this is so close to what I was looking for it's not even funny. Thank you

Stephen tashi: yes I suppose you are right. I may need to revise my range of outcome to 0 to 1.

Mfb: I am talking about a metric in which you conclude some analog truth value to "x causes y" using both time series for all k.

Edit* ImaLooser: Based on MathandPi's Post (after actually starting to read the material from Pearl), Causation does not imply correlation since it's actually possible that the causation is nonlinear (from my understanding since correlation would imply, if anything at all, a linear causation between [itex] X [/itex] and [itex] Y [/itex]). There is no reason for causation to be an inherently linear operation in general.

Last edited:

1. What is a statistically based causal relationship?

A statistically based causal relationship is a relationship between two variables where changes in one variable can be attributed to changes in the other variable. This relationship is determined through statistical analysis and is based on a cause-and-effect relationship rather than just a correlation.

2. How is a statistically based causal relationship established?

A statistically based causal relationship is established through careful research and data analysis. This involves identifying the variables of interest, collecting and organizing data, and using statistical methods to determine the strength and direction of the relationship between the variables. It is important to control for potential confounding variables and to use appropriate statistical tests to establish causality.

3. Why is establishing a statistically based causal relationship important?

Establishing a statistically based causal relationship is important because it allows us to understand the underlying mechanisms and factors that influence a particular phenomenon. It also helps us make more accurate predictions and informed decisions based on the relationship between variables. Additionally, establishing causality can provide evidence for the effectiveness of interventions or treatments.

4. What are some limitations of establishing a statistically based causal relationship?

One limitation is that it can be difficult to determine the direction of causality. Just because two variables are statistically related does not necessarily mean that one causes the other. Another limitation is that there may be other variables that influence the relationship between the two variables of interest, making it difficult to establish a clear causal relationship. Additionally, certain ethical considerations may prevent researchers from conducting experiments to establish causality.

5. How can we strengthen the evidence for a statistically based causal relationship?

We can strengthen the evidence for a statistically based causal relationship by using multiple methods of data collection and analysis, controlling for potential confounding variables, and replicating the study with different samples or in different contexts. Additionally, conducting longitudinal studies over a period of time can help establish a stronger causal relationship. It is also important to use well-established statistical techniques and to clearly report the results and limitations of the study.