Exploring the Role of Strong Magnetic Fields in Moving Water Molecules

In summary: Interesting. I would not have guessed that the water would have been attracted to the rod.In summary, water molecules are attracted to a magnetic field if it has a strong enough magnetic moment.
fredreload
Can a strong magnetic field move water molecules because it is a polar molecule. How strong does the field need to be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since when magnetic field interacts with stationary charges?

Water molecule has an electric dipole, so if it is possible to change its orientation in magnetic field, maybe it is possible to move it?

Have you came across this in your research of this topic?

You might be confusing magnetic field with electric field. A strong electric field and low temperature should cause the water molecules to line up. I don't know if this would form a weird solid-ish phase.

fredreload said:
How bout giving water a magnetic moment then moving it with electric field?

I don't believe the electric field has any effect on magnetic moments.

How about electric field effect on magnet, since electric field attracts or repels charges such as electrons and protons. I should say water molecules being passed through a magnetic field instead of magnetic moment.

fredreload said:
How about electric field effect on magnet, since electric field attracts or repels charges such as electrons and protons. I should say water molecules being passed through a magnetic field instead of magnetic moment.

The magnet has a neutral electric charge, so nothing will happen. And water molecules are only very very weakly diamagnetic, and will be very slightly repelled by a magnetic field. But it takes an extremely strong magnet to even notice the effect.

You are right, the effect of an electric field on water seems to be much stronger.

Last edited by a moderator:
fredreload said:
You are right, the effect of an electric field on water seems to be much stronger.

Interesting. I would not have guessed that the water would have been attracted to the rod.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? I believe the same effect is achieved with a charged balloon.

Drakkith said:
And water molecules are only very very weakly diamagnetic, and will be very slightly repelled by a magnetic field. But it takes an extremely strong magnet to even notice the effect.

A 10 gigatesla field ... would be lethal even at a distance of 1000 km, tearing tissues due to the diamagnetism of water. At a distance halfway to the moon ... could strip information from the magnetic stripes of all credit cards on Earth.

From [en.wikipedia.org].

1. What is the purpose of exploring the role of strong magnetic fields in moving water molecules?

The purpose of this research is to better understand the behavior of water molecules in the presence of strong magnetic fields, which can have important applications in various industries such as energy production, environmental remediation, and medicine.

2. How are strong magnetic fields able to affect the movement of water molecules?

Magnetic fields can interact with the dipole moment of water molecules, causing them to align and move in a specific direction. This can also lead to changes in the physical properties of water, such as its boiling point and surface tension.

3. What methods are used to study the role of strong magnetic fields in moving water molecules?

Scientists use a variety of techniques such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and neutron scattering to study the behavior of water molecules in the presence of strong magnetic fields.

4. What are some potential applications of this research?

Understanding how magnetic fields affect the movement of water molecules can have practical applications in industries such as energy production, where water is used as a coolant, and in environmental remediation to remove contaminants from water. It can also aid in the development of new medical technologies, such as targeted drug delivery and non-invasive imaging techniques.

5. What are the potential implications for the future of this research?

Further research in this area could lead to the development of new technologies and processes that utilize the unique properties of water in the presence of strong magnetic fields. It could also provide a deeper understanding of the role of water in various natural phenomena, such as weather patterns and ocean currents.