Astronomy Basics: Solving Problems with Earth & Mars

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems - calculating the orbital period of Mars in Earth years and finding the mass of one sphere based on the force of attraction between two spheres. The first problem involves using Kepler's third law and converting units, while the second problem involves using the equation for gravitational force. The conversation ends with a request for help and clarification on the calculations.
vintagechic1251
yes, i am defintely not a genius at this stuff...

i am having some problems figuring these two problems out:

Earth is 1.5x10^11 m from the Sun and has a period of 365.2 days. Mars is an average of 2.28x10^11 km from the sun. what is the orbital period of Mars in Earth years?

i am not exactly sure on what to do. should i convert m to km or the other way around? and i am not exactly sure on what equation to use either. i have used keplers third law to come out with an equation of the period of Mars is equal to the square root of the Earth's period squared times the radius of Mars over the radius of Earth cubed... i am getting really high answers like 5612 days and such. am i missing something?

i am also having problems with:

two spheres are 1.02 km apart. one of the spheres has a mass of 57.0 kg, and the force of attraction between the spheres is 1.79x10^-14 N. find the mass of the other sphere.

i'm not exactly sure on how to do that one because of the "force of attraction" i am not sure where i plug that value into. i have an equation of force times radius squared over gravitational force (6.67x10^-11) times the mass of the first sphere. and the answer i get when i do this is slightly unreasonable.

your help is greatly appreciated :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not totally sure how to do the first part, but I'd check into Kepler's laws. You should take a look at your units too; perhaps you mean miles, not meters for Earth's radius of rotation.

For the second part, remember that the gravitational interaction between tow objects is found by:

F = (G*m1*m2)/r^2

G is a constant: 6.674E-11

Last edited:
seang said:
I'm not totally sure how to do the first part, but I'd check into Kepler's laws.

In particular the third one. :smile:

well i have done the third law and i get a really high answer which i am pretty sure can't be right.

vintagechic1251 said:
well i have done the third law and i get a really high answer which i am pretty sure can't be right.

Could you show us what you did?

1. What is the difference between Earth and Mars?

The main difference between Earth and Mars is their size and composition. Earth is the third planet from the sun and is larger and more massive than Mars. Earth has a dense atmosphere and abundant liquid water on its surface, while Mars has a thin atmosphere and very little surface water.

2. How long does it take for Mars to orbit the sun?

It takes Mars about 687 Earth days, or 1.88 Earth years, to orbit the sun. This is due to its distance from the sun and its slower orbital speed compared to Earth.

3. What are the main challenges of sending a spacecraft to Mars?

Sending a spacecraft to Mars is a complex and challenging endeavor. Some of the main challenges include the long distance and travel time, the harsh environment of space and the surface of Mars, and the need for precise navigation and communication.

4. How do scientists study Mars from Earth?

Scientists study Mars from Earth using a variety of tools and techniques. These include telescopes, satellites, and robotic rovers that can collect data and images from the surface of Mars. Scientists also use spectroscopy to analyze the composition of Mars' atmosphere and surface.

5. What are some potential benefits of human exploration of Mars?

There are many potential benefits of human exploration of Mars. It could lead to new scientific discoveries, such as the potential for past or present life on Mars. It could also pave the way for future human colonization of other planets. Additionally, studying Mars could provide valuable insights into the history and evolution of our own planet.