Solve 1-D Motion Problem: Find Vo & a

• Thread starter kfink85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, a truck traveling at an initial speed is slowing down and covers a distance of 40.0 m in 8.50 s, reaching a final speed of 2.80 m/s. By finding the average speed, the initial speed is determined to be 6.62 m/s. Using the equation V=Vo+at, the acceleration is calculated to be -0.45 m/s^2.
kfink85
A truck covers 40.0 m in 8.50 s while smoothly slowing down to a final speed of 2.80 m/s. (a) Find the truck's original speed. (b) Find it's acceleration.

I used the 2nd formula originally (X=VoT+1/2aT^2) but I wasn't getting anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to do this problem? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try figuring out the average speed of the truck and see what that tells you.

I found it to be 4.71 m/s but I'm still stuck. Where do I go next?

Good. Now use that to find the initial speed:
[tex]v_{ave} = (v_i + v_f)/2[/tex]

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

I got 6.62 m/s for part A and used V=Vo+at to get -.45m/s^2 on part B.

I hope this is correct. I'm pretty sure A is.

Can anyone confirm?

Last edited:
Looks good to me.

1. What is 1-D motion?

1-D motion refers to motion that occurs along a straight line or in a single direction. It involves the study of an object's position, velocity, and acceleration in relation to time.

2. How do you solve a 1-D motion problem?

To solve a 1-D motion problem, you need to identify the known and unknown variables, such as initial velocity (Vo), acceleration (a), and time (t). Then, use the equations of motion, such as the formula d = Vo*t + 1/2*a*t^2, to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What is Vo in a 1-D motion problem?

Vo, or the initial velocity, is the velocity of an object at the start of its motion. It is usually given in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

4. What is a in a 1-D motion problem?

a, or acceleration, is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is usually measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) or kilometers per hour squared (km/h^2). It can be positive, negative, or zero, depending on whether the object is speeding up, slowing down, or maintaining a constant velocity.

5. Can you solve a 1-D motion problem without knowing all the variables?

Yes, you can solve a 1-D motion problem if you have at least three out of the four variables: Vo, a, d (distance), and t (time). However, having all four variables will make the calculation more accurate and reliable.