Update To My Problem On Vectorcalculus

• Thread starter Lisa...
  • Start date
In summary, we have discussed a particle moving in a circular path with position r and angular velocity w. The velocity v is given by v = w x r, and when we calculate the cross product with w = (d(theta)/dt)k and r = xi + yj + zk, we get (d(theta)/dt)xj - (d(theta)/dt)yi, which denotes the velocity. We can also compute the modulus of v and find that it is equal to (dtheta(t)/dt)R, where R is the radius of the circle. This vector can be checked for tangency to the circle by dotting it with r.
Lisa...
A particle moves in a circle that is centered at the origin. The particle has position r and angular velocity w. The velocity v is given by:

v = w x r (with x = the cross product).

My question is, when I calculate this crossproduct with

w= (d(theta)/dt) k and
r= x i + y j + z k

it gives:

(d(theta)/dt) * x j - (d(theta)/dt) * yi

Why does this denote the velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Compute its modulus and see whether you can find

[tex] |\vec{v}|=\frac{d\theta (t)}{dt} R [/tex]

,where R is the circle's radius.

Daniel.

BTW, you can check whether that vector is always tangent to the circle by dotting it with [itex] \vec{r} [/itex].

Thanks I get it now :)

1. What is vector calculus and why is it important?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and behavior of vectors in multi-dimensional space. It is important because it provides a powerful tool for solving many problems in physics, engineering, and other fields where quantities have both direction and magnitude.

2. What is the problem you are trying to solve with your update on vector calculus?

The problem I am addressing in my update is related to the calculation of line integrals in vector calculus. Specifically, I am exploring ways to improve the accuracy and efficiency of numerical methods used to solve these integrals.

3. What is the significance of your solution to this problem?

My solution has the potential to improve the accuracy and speed of calculations in various fields that rely on line integrals, such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and optimization problems. It can also pave the way for further advancements in numerical methods for vector calculus.

4. Can your update be applied to other areas of mathematics besides vector calculus?

Yes, the techniques and methods I am proposing in my update can also be applied to other areas of mathematics that involve solving integrals, such as differential equations and numerical analysis. However, further research and testing would be needed to determine the effectiveness of these methods in those fields.

5. How does your update compare to existing methods for solving line integrals?

My update builds upon existing methods and aims to improve upon their limitations, such as accuracy and computational speed. It may not completely replace current methods, but it can offer a more efficient and accurate alternative for certain types of line integrals.