Affordable Chemistry Math Help: Calculating Costs, Masses & Volumes

• Thread starter ticklemedammit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary: I need to find a source for 50 g of vanillin and the cost for that. Let me know if you have any other questions.In summary, to detect the scent of vanillin in a large aircraft hangar filled with 3.0 107 ft3 of air, it would cost $112 to purchase and supply enough vanillin.
ticklemedammit
1) Vanillin (used to flavor vanilla ice cream and other foods) is the substance whose aroma the human nose detects in the smallest amount. The threshold limit is 2.0 10-11 g per liter of air. If the current price of 50. g of vanillin is $112, determine the cost to supply enough vanillin so that the aroma could be detected in a large aircraft hangar with a volume of 3.0 107 ft3. (Enter your answers in units of dollars and two decimal places.)

2) The total volume of seawater is 1.5 1021 L. Assume that seawater contains 3.1 percent sodium chloride by mass and that its density is 1.03 g/mL. Calculate the total mass of sodium chloride in kilograms and in tons. (1 ton = 2000 lb; 1 lb = 453.6 g)

3) Chalcopyrite, the principal ore of copper (Cu), contains 34.63% Cu by mass. How many grams of Cu can be obtained from 5.80 103 kg of the ore?

4) The density of sulfuric acid in a certain car battery is 1.41 g/mL. Calculate the mass of 165 mL of the liquid.

5) The volume of a room is 2.07 108 dm3. What is the volume in m3?

Ive done about 40 out of 50 so far and these are the ones I got stuck on.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to the forum!
the rules are that you need to show some work/ideas on the problems for us to help you

Thanks

What do you mean by showing some work/ideas?

well let's start with the first problem, how would you first attempt this problem? Hint: Figure out what quantities you need to finish the problem and how you might be able to get them from the values you have.

Sorry but I don't even know where to begin, which is why I turned to an forum for help.

ok, i'll try and walk you though the first one.
1) Vanillin (used to flavor vanilla ice cream and other foods) is the substance whose aroma the human nose detects in the smallest amount. The threshold limit is 2.0 10-11 g per liter of air. If the current price of 50. g of vanillin is $112, determine the cost to supply enough vanillin so that the aroma could be detected in a large aircraft hangar with a volume of 3.0 107 ft3. (Enter your answers in units of dollars and two decimal places.)

The first thing we want to figure out is the amount of vanillin that we need to fill the entire hanger. Unfortunatly the units of volume for the hanger are in feet^3 and not liters... a quick look online tells me that 1ft^3=28.32L. So to convert the volume of the hanger to liters it is 3.0 * 10^7 ft^3 * 28.32L = 8.5 * 10^8 L.

Now we can use the threshold limit of 2.0 * 10^-11 g/L of air. We have 8.5 * 10^8 L so we will need 2.0*10^-11 g/L * 8.5 * 10^8 L = X g of Vanillin... once we have that the cost can be figure out.
Does this help at all?

dmoravec said:
ok, i'll try and walk you though the first one.

The first thing we want to figure out is the amount of vanillin that we need to fill the entire hanger. Unfortunatly the units of volume for the hanger are in feet^3 and not liters... a quick look online tells me that 1ft^3=28.32L. So to convert the volume of the hanger to liters it is 3.0 * 10^7 ft^3 * 28.32L = 8.5 * 10^8 L.

Now we can use the threshold limit of 2.0 * 10^-11 g/L of air. We have 8.5 * 10^8 L so we will need 2.0*10^-11 g/L * 8.5 * 10^8 L = X g of Vanillin... once we have that the cost can be figure out.
Does this help at all?
Thanks let me try to work it out now

Last edited by a moderator:
ticklemedammit said:
Sorry about that, feel free to move it over there.
Don't worry about it, just letting you know :smile:. I don't have the privileges to do so, but I'm sure a mentor will move it in due course.

Okay I figured out number 1

1. What types of math are used in chemistry?

In chemistry, you will primarily use algebra, calculus, and statistics. Algebra is used to solve equations and determine unknown variables, while calculus is used to understand rates of change and perform integration and differentiation. Statistics is used to analyze data and make predictions based on experimental results.

2. How do I convert between units in chemistry?

To convert between units in chemistry, you can use dimensional analysis. In this method, you set up a fraction with the desired unit on top and the given unit on the bottom. Then, you multiply by conversion factors, which are ratios that relate the two units. Make sure to cancel out units that appear on both the top and bottom of the fraction to arrive at the correct answer.

3. How do I calculate molar mass?

To calculate the molar mass of a compound, you need to know the atomic mass of each element present in the compound. This can be found on the periodic table. Then, multiply the atomic mass of each element by the number of atoms present in the compound, and add all the values together. The result is the molar mass of the compound, expressed in grams per mole.

4. What is the difference between empirical and molecular formulas?

An empirical formula is the simplest ratio of elements present in a compound. It does not necessarily reflect the actual number of atoms in a molecule. A molecular formula, on the other hand, provides the exact number of each element in a molecule. It is usually a multiple of the empirical formula.

5. How do I balance chemical equations?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to ensure that the number of atoms of each element is equal on both the reactant and product sides. Start by balancing the most complex molecule or the molecule with the most atoms. Then, adjust the coefficients of the other molecules until the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides. Finally, double-check your work to make sure the equation is balanced.