What does American mean to you?

• News
  • Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary: I'm ashamed and troubled by the way our political system bestows extreme destructive power into the hands of reckless bullies.When something goes wrong people don't riot and have coups.
Gokul43201 said:
Okay, I have $0 and you have $0. Instead of sleeping all day, I walk down the lane, pick up a rock, and carve it into a statuette of "little green man". I sell you the statuette for $10. Now I have $10, and you have an asset worth $10. Total wealth to the amount of $20 has been created from a rock.
what about markup costs... If only ecconomics was this easy :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
poverty,junk food and cheap fuel

Being American means living in fear that one day you will be desperately poor and if you are already poor that you will become even worse off.Being American means - and it has done for thirty years now - that if terrorists hijack an airplane then they are going to look for US passports first.
But on the positive side you get cheap fuel and can leave your car engines switched on while you are in a shop thus maximising the damage you are doing to the lungs of all your critics in other countries - particularly if you live somewhere near the coast.I'm not American but I love fast food,US television
and most of the stuff that intellectuals label as garbage that comes from the States.Iwould happily become an American citizen and may well do so when
I get to the age where I don't care if nobody takes me seriously.

verdigris said:
Being American means living in fear that one day you will be desperately poor and if you are already poor that you will become even worse off.

Being human means living in fear that one day there'll be a drought that wipes out your food supply, that one day a hurricane or tsunami will wipe out your home, that one day you'll die.

Some people are willing to give up a lot of the good things about being human in an attempt to eliminate the risk of living. Some people aren't.

Being an American has traditionally meant a more grown-up view of taking responsibility for yourself, including accepting some of the risks that go along with living. You reduce risk by sticking together in a group and looking out for one another. That might not be quite so true nowadays. People are more willing to give up anything for the childlike security of having someone else take care of them.

Anttech said:

gokul, (sorry for the indirect index)

actually if you're interested I have a very special collection of pet rocks--now the gal who sold them to my parents, that they might not get along, oddly enough I haven't heard a peep from em in 25 years. Seriously because someone paid x $ is in no way a measure of value. Every w/e I drive past a panhandler with a sign that says "need money for alcohol research", amused I oce stopped and chatted with the guy. Makes on average 75 $/day. Should we franchise his sign?

Ivan Seeking said:
I had considered the idea of wealth created by digging for gold, but that is a matter of converting wealth from a resource to cash, so the wealth still isn't created, but the gold has value added by the work. It would be worth less in a land sale.
Digging for gold is certainly considered wealth creation, by the standard definition. An untapped resource is not considered existing wealth. Or are you going to include He3 on the Moon, and hydrogen on Jupiter, and dilithium in planet 0-sigma as part of our wealth?

Anttech said:
I'm not sure what your point is but what I provided was a simplification. Besides, there was clearly an error in the calculation, correcting which the wealth created is actually $10. Including markups does not change this to $0.

denverdoc said:
gokul, (sorry for the indirect index)

actually if you're interested I have a very special collection of pet rocks--now the gal who sold them to my parents, that they might not get along, oddly enough I haven't heard a peep from em in 25 years. Seriously because someone paid x $ is in no way a measure of value. Every w/e I drive past a panhandler with a sign that says "need money for alcohol research", amused I oce stopped and chatted with the guy. Makes on average 75 $/day. Should we franchise his sign?
Either I'm misunderstanding your post, or you've misunderstood mine. If you don't like stone statuettes, pick something else as the product made.

I can't believe you folks are actually seriously advocating that total wealth is a zero sum game! I thought Adam Smith debunked that myth over 2 centuries ago. The world GDP has increased by at least an order of magnitude over this last century.

PS: This is all really a digression from the thread topic, so I'm stopping here. If it turns out that I'm talking total nonsense, and there really is more to this zero-sum argument, then perhaps the relevant posts could be herded intoa different thread?

Last edited:
Anttech said:
FUD... Absolutly nonsense. Yes the taxes are higher here, but there is no upfront costs to starting your own business. I should know, I have my own in 2 different countries here. As for lack of financial aid, you know we also do have banks here too, with rather good Loans. London is actually the Financial Hub of the World, with the likes of HSBC CITIGROUP BARCLAYS having the HQ there. Are you suggesting that in America you get free handouts to get started or something? Very anti-capitalist wouldn't you say?
I have not heard of Composites, Cliff Bar, and Nantucket Nectars. But I can talk about M$ Dell and Apple if you like. M$ wasnt started in a basement a simple look at wikipedia would tell you that. Regardless it was founded around 1978, almost 30 years ago, I am talking current not some history lesson of America. Apple was founded in someones basement over 30 years ago, by Steve Jobs, who is a business genius.

Look if you want a history lesson, I could go through all the things that *we* invented, and the successful companies that *we* have. Do I need to, do you really want to go tick for tack?

You have misconception of Europe, as so many Americans do.

Actually, the upfront costs that I mentioned were in reference to pilot training. Which brings the question:

Do you have any idea how much it costs to produce a properly trained instrument rated jet pilot?

Also, are you saying or even suggesting that there have been no successful business startups in the USA in the past 30 years?

In addition, I have had the opportunity to travel all over western Europe for many years (including the 3 years that I have actually lived there) and have had the opportunity to interact closely with thousands of professional pilots in both the military and civilian sectors. Now if you are so willing to give history lessons, then perhaps there is something that you can explain:

Why is there a greater diversity of national and ethnic origins represented among the American pilots than among pilots from all of the European countries that I have seen combined (especially when you consider the ethnic diversity in the European population)?:confused:

Why is this diversity among the American pilots reflected in pilots that were trained recently if all opportunities ended 30 years ago?

Why were so many of the Europeans so shocked when they found out that I did not have rich parents?

If Europe is so much more socially advanced and full of opportunities than the USA, then the opposite should be true. Should it not?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gokul43201 said:
Digging for gold is certainly considered wealth creation, by the standard definition. An untapped resource is not considered existing wealth. Or are you going to include He3 on the Moon, and hydrogen on Jupiter, and dilithium in planet 0-sigma as part of our wealth?

I'm not sure what your point is but what I provided was a simplification. Besides, there was clearly an error in the calculation, correcting which the wealth created is actually $10. Including markups does not change this to $0.

Either I'm misunderstanding your post, or you've misunderstood mine. If you don't like stone statuettes, pick something else as the product made.

I can't believe you folks are actually seriously advocating that total wealth is a zero sum game! I thought Adam Smith debunked that myth over 2 centuries ago. The world GDP has increased by at least an order of magnitude over this last century.

PS: This is all really a digression from the thread topic, so I'm stopping here. If it turns out that I'm talking total nonsense, and there really is more to this zero-sum argument, then perhaps the relevant posts could be herded intoa different thread?

I'll stop here, as well. I don't know that its a zero sum game, but I think the sum depends on the reference frame. It is easy to take a narrow view, much more difficult to expand the reference frame not only with respect to breadth of geometry but into the future. Someone mentioned Gold, well mining using extant technology has devastated a number of ecosystems with very little payback for the locals involved.

So maybe its more akin to thermodynamics, where its easy to have virtual perpetual motion within one system at the "expense" of another. But the big picture forbids it. Again not stating this as a certainty, just that impact on future generations and other countries be included in any eqn.

denverdoc said:
So maybe its more akin to thermodynamics, where its easy to have virtual perpetual motion within one system at the "expense" of another. But the big picture forbids it. Again not stating this as a certainty, just that impact on future generations and other countries be included in any eqn.
That definitely makes sense in a closed system. However, the Earth is not truly a closed system because we get energy from an outside source (the sun). When farmers harvest crops, they are essentially harvesting energy from the sun which is used to feed people and the economy. So wealth is being created within our system. Conversely, wealth can be destroyed by things such as crimes, wars, natural disasters, etc. So there is a valid point in saying that it is not entirely a zero sum game.:smile:

For non-Americans:

If offered American citizenship, would you take it?

If you can't trust Americans, what foreign power do you put your trust in?

For Americans:

Do you think we offer opportunity without substance?

What responsibilities to the world does one have as an American citizen?

Loren Booda said:
For non-Americans:

For Americans:

Yes, I would accept an American citizenship if I were to live there, because despite the current administration, the US still holds on as the worlds only scientific superpower.

I put my trust into countries with a democracy defined by several sources such as the UN or CIA.

For non-Americans:

Nope I wouldn't take it, I am happy where I live.

Honestly why should I need to trust a foreign power? I live in a secure enough country and region to not need to mull over my security having to be handled by a foreign power. Which foreign power would you trust?

Last edited:
Loren Booda said:
For non-Americans:

I'd have to thoroughly thing about it, but if I got an interesting job opportunity, why not?

Although I'd say the same as Anntech, I'm perfectly happy where I live right now and don't exactly feel and urge to go somewhere else.

grant9076 said:
Actually, the upfront costs that I mentioned were in reference to pilot training. Which brings the question:

Do you have any idea how much it costs to produce a properly trained instrument rated jet pilot?
Nope, but it is irrelevant to what you are asserting
Also, are you saying or even suggesting that there have been no successful business startups in the USA in the past 30 years?
ermm no, you are suggesting that the *only* place on this Earth where you could have done what you have done is in the USA, I am suggesting this is total nonsense.
In addition, I have had the opportunity to travel all over western Europe for many years (including the 3 years that I have actually lived there) and have had the opportunity to interact closely with thousands of professional pilots in both the military and civilian sectors. Now if you are so willing to give history lessons, then perhaps there is something that you can explain:

Why is there a greater diversity of national and ethnic origins represented among the American pilots than among pilots from all of the European countries that I have seen combined (especially when you consider the ethnic diversity in the European population)?:confused:
You seem to be speculating without any data to back it up:

Europe is probably (definetly?) less ethnically dense that America, so it wouldn't surprise me. I also would like to add, that in 3 years I doubt very much you could interact *closely* with thousands (meaning > 1000) of Pilots. You may have seen thousands but to interact closely?
Why is this diversity among the American pilots reflected in pilots that were trained recently if all opportunities ended 30 years ago?
I never said that, you are the one suggesting that you couldn't become a piolt, or start a business in Europe due to the massive tax burden, and start up costs. I am saying you are talking rubbish. I am not suggesting that all opportunities in the USA stopped 30 years ago. However the economy is not so strong in comparisons to other nations now as it was.
Why were so many of the Europeans so shocked when they found out that I did not have rich parents?
No idea. I know lots of contractor pilots here without rich parents, most of them are ex-military, and work for DHL and the likes. Not a big deal, perhaps it was the people you were *hanging out* with?
If Europe is so much more socially advanced and full of opportunities than the USA, then the opposite should be true. Should it not?

Point to me where I was saying Europe was so much more socially advanced, and we can talk about that. But I never did, I was countering your argument and spreading of misinformation regarding Europe.

Loren Booda said:
I think America offers opportunity. Substance is your own lookout.

Loren Booda said:
That's not an easy question. Surely, as Martin Luther King said, we should rise up and live out the true meaning of our creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

Anttech said:
You seem to be speculating without any data to back it up:

Europe is probably (definetly?) less ethnically dense that America, so it wouldn't surprise me. I also would like to add, that in 3 years I doubt very much you could interact *closely* with thousands (meaning > 1000) of Pilots. You may have seen thousands but to interact closely?

To begin with, I define close interaction as an encounter where you can speak face to face.

I am afraid that your doubt here is based on gross ignorance on your part and here is why:

For up to 6 years prior to living in Europe, I have been traveling there as a military pilot to take part in numerous multinational exercises where I often spend months at a time at bases in the United Kindom, France, Italy, and Germany. During any exercise or operation, a great deal of face to face planning occurs. When I lived in Europe, I was a staff instructor and was involved in the planning and flying in many other multinational exercises as well as real operations such as Operation Allied Force. Also, there were the numerous large airshows in which I have participated or attended along with the large social events attended by the pilots from many different countries. None of this includes the 8+ years since I have lived in Europe (but able to still travel to there) or any of my experience outside of Europe. Basically, in my 17+ years as a professional pilot, I have had the opportunity to interact closely with thousands of pilots.

As far as the demographics are concerned, I am sure that there must be some diversity in the European Air Forces. However, after meeting with military pilots from United Kingdom, Netherlands, Italy, Norway, France, Germany, Belgium, Spain, Denmark and Greece, just about every single European military pilot that I have met is male caucasian. Also, after having traveled to London, Cambridge, Oslo, Stavanger, Amsterdam, Marseille, Paris, Vicenza, Udine, and many other cities in Europe, it is clear that it does not represent the demographics of the population. Also, I have only met 2 professional women pilots (although I am sure that there are more than that) from Europe and we have much more than that in an average American flying squadron or airline base. In addition, the only European pilot I have met that was not Caucasian, was an Englishman who is a naturalized American citizen and was flying for the US Air Force.

Now, If Europe presents more opportunities than the USA (as you seem to suggest), then my observations should be quite the opposite. Should they not?

I am afraid that your doubt here is based on gross ignorance on your part and here is why
My doubts are based on ignorance, however the cause of my ignorance is your gross incapability to clearly community
Basically, in my 17+ years as a professional pilot, I have had the opportunity to interact closely with thousands of pilots.
Glad to clear that up. You did indeed infer that in 3 years you had interacted closely with 1000's of European Pilots. 17+ years seems more plausible
As far as the demographics are concerned, I am sure that there must be some diversity in the European Air Forces. However, after meeting with military pilots from United Kingdom, Netherlands, Italy, Norway, France, Germany, Belgium, Spain, Denmark and Greece, just about every single European military pilot that I have met is male caucasian. Also, after having traveled to London, Cambridge, Oslo, Stavanger, Amsterdam, Marseille, Paris, Vicenza, Udine, and many other cities in Europe, it is clear that it does not represent the demographics of the population.
although your life story is indeed an interesting one, why not base this argument on some facts. Perhaps a look on the MOD ww sites would be a good idea?

wikipedia said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_Kingdom
White 92.1% (54.85 million people)
Asian or Asian British 4% (2.38 million people)
Black or Black British 2% (1.19 million people)
Mixed 1.2% (0.71 million people)
Chinese 0.4% (0.24 million people)
Other 0.3% (0.18 million people)
From the 2001 UK Census
So if 92% of all people in the UK are European caucasian then I would suggest that figure to be represented in the MOD. Which it is, and has to be by law. So if there are 100 people in a room at least 92 of them will be Caucasian. 4 of them will be asian 2 of them will be black, 1.2 of them will be mixed .4 of them will be chinese, and .3 of them will be *other*

The same goes for all those other country/Cities you say you have been to. Greece is a interesting one, as the population is >99% Greek so I doubt very very much you will find anything but white caucasian in the MOD there.

The UK is a typical European Country. The USA is far more Ethnically diverse, as it is a land of immigrants.

Now, If Europe presents more opportunities than the USA (as you seem to suggest), then my observations should be quite the opposite. Should they not?
Once again I never said that. I said that you could have done what you did in many other countries and not just America. Is that clear enough for you?

You seem to be inferring that Europe is a place full of Racist, are you?

Last edited:
Correction: I was a pilot for 7 years before living in Europe and 7+ years after.

No. I do not think that Europe is racist and it would be as disingenuous as when people think that USA is evil. Besides, it would be unfair to the people that I befriended there.

More on this later due to lack of time...

So you weren't a Pilot in Europe? You were a piolt before and after living in Europe?

No. I do not think that Europe is racist and it would be as disingenuous as when people think that USA is evil. Besides, it would be unfair to the people that I befriended there.
Yeah it would be, but who is saying the USA is evil?

Just to remind you:

Anttech said:
"ehh, America America" *waves hands*

In Italy if you say that, it is like saying *Yeah right in your dreams* due to the fact once upon a time many many moons ago, America was the place everyone though was the land of opportunities, and new beginnings. That perception is been eroded away day by day
That is what I said.

You then went on to say:
grant9076 said:
I grew up dirt poor (all of my clothes were hand me downs) in a third world country and a typical third world family, and I came to the USA with not much more than the clothes on my back.

Now I am a professional pilot that has traveled all over the world.

One of my brothers is a real estate millionaire.

Another of my brothers has his own successful business.

A third brother is a software engineer.

My sister is a business executive with her degree from Cornell.

My nephew (who grew up in the same household) is an orthopedic surgeon.
I then said:
Anttech said:
You equally could have migrated to any Developed country and done the exact same thing. The perception throught the developed world of America has changed over the years, now it is not looked at as a shining example of how a country should be run. It is not the *land of oppertunity* it once was. In fact I know in my industry (IT/Telecoms) you will get paid better in Europe than in the USA, for an equal skillset.

Regardless Success is not measured by your bank ballance, and to think so, is as shallow as an environment which nurtures that ideal, IMHO

Now, can you or can't you handle some critisim? Just because I am criticizing your country doesn't mean I think you are all evil, does it now?

Two people on this thread, and you are included seem so arrogant of your own country you find it hard to believe that other places are equally as nice, and as prosperous as your country. You can't believe that your story could have come from the lips of a Jamaican 1st generation City Merchant Banker in London for example. And the other person seems to think, Ireland is some sort of poor country like it was 50 years ago. Both are false and both to me wreak of preprogrammed misconceptions.

denverdoc said:
Jimmy, who hates us? Its my experience americans (except in maybe France) are generally pretty well thought of around the world.
:rofl:

That's a joke right ? If not, i would suggest to open your eyes and look beyond your nation's borders.

marlon

Anttech said:
Two people on this thread, and you are included seem so arrogant of your own country you find it hard to believe that other places are equally as nice, and as prosperous as your country. You can't believe that your story could have come from the lips of a Jamaican 1st generation City Merchant Banker in London for example. And the other person seems to think, Ireland is some sort of poor country like it was 50 years ago. Both are false and both to me wreak of preprogrammed misconceptions.

Thats what I don't like about Americans.
If they actually tried to experience other countries and cultures they could learn a lot, but their arrogance prevents them from learning and they therefore make the same mistakes time and time again.
When traveling it is interesting to talk about different cultures and how the local people see them. There are a lot of cultural idiosyncrasies, but the Americans are always considered arrogant and afraid to experience anything new.
Just because some American did it doesn't make it right or better than what the rest of the world did.

Loren Booda said:
For non-Americans:

As a non-american...

I would probably not take a american citizenship. There is nothing I can do in america that I can't in sweden or the other EU countries. Someone mentioned that USA is the only science superpower. But what about CERN, ITER, The Max Planck Institutes, ESA ect...

I don't put my trust in any foreign power. Why should I??:confused:

About equal oppertunity, in sweden anyone(with good enough grades offcourse) can attend any university education without ever having to pay a dime and acctualy beeing paid to do so...

I would not take american citizenship as I have all the oppourtunity I need where I am.

Selfishness is what I think of when I see the word American. A desire to only progress American values and ideals at seemingly any cost. If the US operated a foreign policy of non-interference I suspect they would have a lot more respect throughout the world.

Panda said:
Thats what I don't like about Americans.
If they actually tried to experience other countries and cultures they could learn a lot, but their arrogance prevents them from learning and they therefore make the same mistakes time and time again.
When traveling it is interesting to talk about different cultures and how the local people see them. There are a lot of cultural idiosyncrasies, but the Americans are always considered arrogant and afraid to experience anything new.
Just because some American did it doesn't make it right or better than what the rest of the world did.

This notion of the "Ugly American" isn't new. I entirely agree with the sentiment above, that it depends on ones attitude while traveling--if one has to stay at the local plastic palace and eat at US franchises, all the while holding the local culture in disdain for being so well, "uncivilized"... Contempt prior to investigation at times seems like an American mantra.

OTOH, my mom with her great love of life and insatiable curiosity traveled well and made dozens of friends everywhere she went. She didn't have a great education, but always left more learned, than my dad, the scholar.

To be fair DenverDoc...
When I was last in Florence stuck in a really grotty hotel with broken Air-Con in the hottest August on record, there was an American woman there with two teenage sons who were very understanding about the fact that you couldn't get an Air-Con engineer in Europe during August. They were trying to learn the basics of Italian and ate in a different local restaurant. We had a really nice time chatting over breakfast...
...Compared to the really annoying American who was in my local pub being really loud and saying how quaint everything was but why was this 250 year old building so primative. She sadly was my Aunt who was born in the East End of London, but moved to Kansas 30 odd years ago.
So it seems that being "American" can be both Learnt and Unlearnt (Unless you come from Alabama of course then your a lost cause :-) )

In Utah, the term for unlearnt is "ignert," which is a synonym for rude as well. I had to bite my tongue the first few times I heard this idiom.

The same responsibilities as every other human being on this planet.

Anttech said:
So you weren't a Pilot in Europe? You were a piolt before and after living in Europe?

Yeah it would be, but who is saying the USA is evil?

Just to remind you:

That is what I said.

You then went on to say:

I then said:

Now, can you or can't you handle some critisim? Just because I am criticizing your country doesn't mean I think you are all evil, does it now?

With all due respect. I was a pilot for 7 years prior to living in Europe, 3 years while living in Europe, and 7+ years after. That is 17+ years total (please do the math). The correction was only for the periods before and after living in Europe.

What I observed was also pointed out to me by an RAF Pilot who was puzzled by the same observation. He did not think that his country is racist and neither do I. The only logical explanation that I can think of is that most countries (Whether in Europe or anywhere else) will give first priority (officially or unofficially) to people who are actually born there for certain positions. And frankly, I don't blame them for doing so. If you can come up with a better explanation for what I observed, then I am very interested in finding it out.

Needless to say, the USA did the following for me (and many others):

Extended an invitation for me to live there

A few years later, granted me citizenship

Accept me into one of the top military academies

Spent well in excess of $1,000,000 to ensure that I had some of the best possible pilot training available

Unless you can provide me with a better explanation for what I observed, I am not convinced that many countries (Europe or elsewhere) would be willing to do all of this for an immigrant. And I am not blaming them.

Oh, BTW, I never accused you or anyone else here of calling America evil.

Kurdt said:
I would not take american citizenship as I have all the oppourtunity I need where I am.

Selfishness is what I think of when I see the word American. A desire to only progress American values and ideals at seemingly any cost. If the US operated a foreign policy of non-interference I suspect they would have a lot more respect throughout the world.

I have to agree. It's our way or the highway. If it were only about peaceful self-governance and adherance to some least common denominator of human conduct, there would be no argument. America show us the way the world said, and in response, it became more about what can you do for us economically? We have shown support for everything from despotism to martial law, meanwhile freely overthrowing legitimate democracies wherever there is economic self-interest or its first derivative, strategic military advantage at grabs. Which can be defended strenuously, but don't be a hypocrite in the process.

Just an exercise, no need to buy into the assumptions or details:

George enters stage right. Says on TV, my fellow americans, we got a problem. This oil which brought this country to its present greatness is running out. We face two alternatives. We either exploit our advantage now--unopposed by any superpower and basically able to loot the world at small cost, or we wait for the stuff to hit the fan--by then it may well be a free for all, and the costs in american lives much higher--to say nothing of th real risk of hitting a trip wire for a nuclear war.

Or we dramatically reduce consumption and we all suffer severe privation? Even then we still need the stuff to feed us, and the economic consequences in the meantime, disastrous. American's I ask your support in voting for A.

Loren Booda said:
For non-Americans:

No way!

In the front of my passport, it says something along the lines of the Queen wishing the holder have freedom to go where ever they want, unhindered - that's a high recommendation :rofl:

Loren Booda said:
For non-Americans:

I don't know, it would depend on the occasion. For instance, though I live for about 10 years in France, and could, if I wanted, acquire French nationality, I don't, for a very silly reason: if I do, I loose my original nationality (it's the law in my country), which I won't (for several reasons, one is rather cute: I get extra money because I'm working in a country which is not my native country :smile: ).

But if required for some or other opportunity, I wouldn't say no up front, it would depend on the situation.

My own :tongue2:

Some well deserved stereotypes of Americans (represented by a minority):

xenophobes

country music morals

NASCAR dads

Manifest Destiny

cowboys

military solution - bullies

"world leaders"

"representative government"

some more equal than others

"holier than thou"

Loren Booda said:
Some well deserved stereotypes of Americans (represented by a minority):

xenophobes

country music morals

NASCAR dads

Manifest Destiny

cowboys

military solution - bullies

"world leaders"

"representative government"

some more equal than others

"holier than thou"

Holier than thou, and thou is an infidel--certain symmetry there in the eqn. The part that didn't get quite captured is the bizarre paranioa of the right:
http://enews.earthlink.net/article/nat?guid=20070218/45d7dd50_3ca6_15526200702181480790370

jimmysnyder said:
For my family, I can say without fear of contradiction that we are much better off than the average Belarusian. I think for instance that the average Irish-American is better off than the average Irish, etc. Can you think of a country where the average person is doing better than the average among the immigrants and their decendants in the US from that country?
jimmysnyder said:
I'm basing it on this. I did not base my view of the national average by visiting the capital.
http://www.worldfactsandfigures.com/gdp_country_desc.php
Your data is out of date. Latest figures are

Ireland GDP per capita = $43,600; GDP growth rate = 5.2%; Unemployment = 4.3%

USA GDP per capita = $43,500; GDP growth rate = 3.2%; Unemployment = 4.6%

source https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html

Thus as you can see amongst other superior measures the Irish have a higher average GDP than the US. We also have far better social welfare programs which improve the overall standard of living; oh and nice scenery too :wink:

Although there were strong protests against Bush when he visited here we certainly do not hate (or envy) Americans as I am sure the many thousands who visit our shores each year will testify not least because many of them are our relatives. :biggrin:

:eek: :bugeye: :rofl: Gottcha Art!

I am American. It is a word I now fear. Only because there are some who would kill me just for the word.

I am an individual. I am not a politician, nor do I have much say over our international affairs and policies. But I would be held guilty anyways by those who are hurt by my government's actions.

I wish I could make things better. But I think I can say that we all have faults. I won't point my finger at yours if you don't point yours at mine. Deal?

I am afraid for my country's future, my posterity, my work. I have some ambition, plans to study science, to help make a better world. But my resources are limited now. So it's all a matter of hope and will.

<h2>1. What is the definition of "American"?</h2><p>The term "American" refers to a citizen or inhabitant of the United States of America. It can also be used to describe anything related to the United States, such as its culture, language, or government.</p><h2>2. What are the values that define being "American"?</h2><p>Some commonly cited values that define being American include freedom, equality, individualism, hard work, and patriotism. However, these values may vary among individuals and are not exclusive to Americans.</p><h2>3. How has the meaning of being "American" changed over time?</h2><p>The meaning of being American has evolved over time, reflecting the changing social, political, and cultural landscape of the country. For example, the definition of who is considered an American has expanded to include people of diverse backgrounds, and the values associated with being American have also shifted.</p><h2>4. Is there a single definition of being "American"?</h2><p>No, there is no single definition of being American. The term can have different meanings to different people, and it can also be influenced by factors such as race, ethnicity, gender, and socio-economic status.</p><h2>5. How does being "American" influence one's identity?</h2><p>Being American can play a significant role in shaping one's identity, as it encompasses various aspects such as nationality, culture, and values. However, being American is just one aspect of a person's identity, and it can be influenced by other factors as well.</p>

1. What is the definition of "American"?

The term "American" refers to a citizen or inhabitant of the United States of America. It can also be used to describe anything related to the United States, such as its culture, language, or government.

2. What are the values that define being "American"?

Some commonly cited values that define being American include freedom, equality, individualism, hard work, and patriotism. However, these values may vary among individuals and are not exclusive to Americans.

3. How has the meaning of being "American" changed over time?

The meaning of being American has evolved over time, reflecting the changing social, political, and cultural landscape of the country. For example, the definition of who is considered an American has expanded to include people of diverse backgrounds, and the values associated with being American have also shifted.

4. Is there a single definition of being "American"?

No, there is no single definition of being American. The term can have different meanings to different people, and it can also be influenced by factors such as race, ethnicity, gender, and socio-economic status.

5. How does being "American" influence one's identity?

Being American can play a significant role in shaping one's identity, as it encompasses various aspects such as nationality, culture, and values. However, being American is just one aspect of a person's identity, and it can be influenced by other factors as well.