Can Op Amps be Used for Digital Circuits?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of op amps in digital circuits, specifically in comparison to diodes and transistor-transistor logic. The speaker recalls attempting to create gates with op amps and struggles with understanding ternary logic. They are recommended to read "The Art of Electronics" for further understanding of practical applications of op amps.
PhilosophyofPhysics
I had electronics last semester, and we went over some digital briefly at the end. I think we learned a bit about digital circuits using diodes and something about transitor-transitor logic?

Anyway, at the time I was wondering if there was a way to use Op Amps to create digital circuits.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In TTL, 0 volts = 0 and 5 volts = 1

You can easily achieve various gates with op amps, a combination of window comparators could work.

I remember after the semester ended I was attempting to create gates with op amps and I was getting some 2s in there. I might have then tried to see how it fit in with ternary instead of binary.

but it seems as if too much of my memory has decayed since then. I need to read up on this stuff again.

Last edited:
I'd recommend that you read the intro electronics book "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. In there, you will learn all kinds of practical things, like what it takes to run an opamp with a single supply rail like 5V. You cannot run just any old opamp between those rails and expect to get something useful.

cool my school has a copy

i'll check it out

1. What is an op amp?

An op amp, or operational amplifier, is an electronic component that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It is commonly used in analog circuits to amplify, filter, or compare signals.

2. How can an op amp be used for digital applications?

An op amp can be used in digital circuits as a comparator, which compares two input voltages and outputs a digital signal based on the comparison. It can also be used as a buffer, to maintain a stable output voltage regardless of changes in the input voltage.

3. What are some advantages of using op amps in digital circuits?

Op amps can provide high gain, high input impedance, and low output impedance, making them useful for amplification and signal conditioning in digital circuits. They also have a wide range of voltage supply and can operate at high frequencies.

4. Are there any limitations to using op amps in digital circuits?

One limitation of using op amps in digital circuits is that they can introduce noise and distortion to the output signal. This can be mitigated by using proper circuit design techniques and selecting op amps with low noise and distortion levels.

5. How do I choose the right op amp for my digital circuit?

When choosing an op amp for a digital circuit, consider the required gain, bandwidth, input and output impedance, and voltage supply range. It is also important to consider the op amp's noise and distortion levels and its compatibility with other components in the circuit.