Quantum Gravity Programme Essentially Complete

In summary: He is doing a really good job so far and I believe he is going to finish it soon.He is working on a thesis on quantum gravity. He is doing a really good job so far and I believe he is going to finish it soon.
Energex42
"the programme for the consistent canonical part of the quantization of four-dimensional Einstein’s general realtivity is essentially complete." Eyo Eyo Ita III

I guess we must be close. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Energex42 said:
By the way, the original quote was taken from Eyo's most recent paper at http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/0706.2702

Thanks for giving the reference, with a link. It is helpful, if any of us wants to track something down.

Eyo is a graduate student at Cambridge working on his PhD. It is too early for a bystander like myself to evaluate his research. Last time I looked it had not been peer-review/published.

BTW Eyo Eyo Ita is a famous name in the Nigerian Independence movement. Perhaps this is the grandson of the GREAT Eyo Eyo Ita who was the aide of a kind of George Washington figure (I forget who it was).

There is so much non-string QG research these days that out of simple practicality I tend to wait until someone has been through the mainstream mill or has some strong established person recommending them. I don't go out ahead of the process and make my own critiques on raw stuff.

marcus said:
Thanks for giving the reference, with a link. It is helpful, if any of us wants to track something down.

Eyo is a graduate student at Cambridge working on his PhD. It is too early for a bystander like myself to evaluate his research. Last time I looked it had not been peer-review/published.

BTW Eyo Eyo Ita is a famous name in the Nigerian Independence movement. Perhaps this is the grandson of the GREAT Eyo Eyo Ita who was the aide of a kind of George Washington figure (I forget who it was).

There is so much non-string QG research these days that out of simple practicality I tend to wait until someone has been through the mainstream mill or has some strong established person recommending them. I don't go out ahead of the process and make my own critiques on raw stuff.

I agree 100% with you Marcus on peer review, is there any LQG-researcher qualified to peer review his works (i.e Lee Smolin, John Baez, Steve Carlip, Carlo Rovelli)?

If Eyo's claims hold up to peer review, then LQG through the Kodama state does give rise to good semiclassical GR with quantum corrections. LQG will have completed a major milestone, that it does reproduce GR in 4D, and the Kodama state is the way it does this.

I haven't read eyo eyo ita's stuff yet.. but his first paper on the subject was in march this year... and as it is not published yet, it is likely it didn't pass the peer-review. Also, Ashtekar didn't cite his work at all in his may review of the LQG field. So if Ita's stuff was so groundbreaking, it would have made it to ashtekar's list, no? But the guy is from Cambridge, so maybe someone should check his work?

etera said:
I haven't read eyo eyo ita's stuff yet.. but his first paper on the subject was in march this year... and as it is not published yet, it is likely it didn't pass the peer-review. Also, Ashtekar didn't cite his work at all in his may review of the LQG field. So if Ita's stuff was so groundbreaking, it would have made it to ashtekar's list, no? But the guy is from Cambridge, so maybe someone should check his work?

As Marcus said, what he is publishing is his phD dissertation research, as he is a grad student. It's possible Ashtekar hasn't had the chance to review Ito's work, although the Kodama state has been known for a long time.

ensabah6 said:
As Marcus said, what he is publishing is his phD dissertation research, as he is a grad student...
Note that he has not published any of his PhD dissertation research yet, he has just posted preprint on the arxiv.
Best for us onlookers to stop discussing Ita's work until he gets his PhD or until he has something accepted for publication. Commenting now will not help him gain recognition and may even be counterproductive.

I have personally met and talked to Eyo Ita at the GR2007 conference in Sydney last year, he seemed like a very nice and intelligent person.

His paths towards a Ph.D. in theoretical physics was quite unconventional. . He finished his tertiary education at a naval college in America before decided to do a Ph.D. in theoretical physics in Cambridge.

What it surprised me is that he is in fact in his forties (if I remembered correctly) which is quite amazing.

I'd be interested to learn your impressions from the Sydney GR 2007 conference sometime. IIRC Renate Loll and Laurent Freidel gave invited talks on QG. Bojowald chaired a session on quantum cosmology.

Incidentally there is a US Naval college at Newport Rhode Island
which has Dan Cartin on the faculty. Cartin has co-authored several QG papers with Martin Bojowald. If someone training for a Navy career came in contact with Dan Cartin, and was so inclined, they could be inspired to take up Quantum Gravity research. Cartin has a respectable list of QG research papers. He ordinarily collaborates with Gaurav Khanna at Dartmouth.

http://arxiv.org/find/gr-qc/1/au:+Cartin_D/0/1/0/all/0/1

Last edited:
http://www.iop.org/EJ/toc/0264-9381/25/12

Eyo has published his first two papers this month.

marcus said:
I'd be interested to learn your impressions from the Sydney GR 2007 conference sometime. IIRC Renate Loll and Laurent Freidel gave invited talks on QG. Bojowald chaired a session on quantum cosmology.

The Sydney GR 2007 in my opinion was very well organised. Unfortunately I was only a graduate student and did not understand most of the talks at all. The highlight of the conference for me was probably the public talk given by Kip Thorne and Roger Penrose. Renate Loll's talk was quite interesting too. I also found the talk on analogue gravity to be very intriguing.

marcus said:
Incidentally there is a US Naval college at Newport Rhode Island
which has Dan Cartin on the faculty. Cartin has co-authored several QG papers with Martin Bojowald. If someone training for a Navy career came in contact with Dan Cartin, and was so inclined, they could be inspired to take up Quantum Gravity research. Cartin has a respectable list of QG research papers. He ordinarily collaborates with Gaurav Khanna at Dartmouth.

Umm, I also remembered Eyo told me how one particular person at Cambridge looked at him with disbelieve when he expressed his ambition to pursue a Ph.D. in theoretical physics. I guess he's proved them wrong.

Well, Eyo Eyo Ita III has now several peer review papers publishes. He writes articles like crazy. And it seems his approach offer clues on how to show that LQG is related to M-Theory, IMHO. I sent him an email... But no answer yet. :eek: Damn. Well, I sent yesterday. Perhaps I am too anxious.

Hyperreality said:
The Sydney GR 2007 in my opinion was very well organised.

Really? I thought the organization of it was appalling, as did most of the people I know. Certainly it was terribly poor in comparison to the previous two, particularly GR17 in Dublin, which was an excellent conference.

Hyperreality said:
The Sydney GR 2007 in my opinion was very well organised. ... Renate Loll's talk was quite interesting too...

shoehorn said:
Really? I thought the organization of it was appalling, as did most of the people I know. Certainly it was terribly poor in comparison to the previous two, particularly GR17 in Dublin, which was an excellent conference.

Hyperreality and Shoehorn, thanks for your comments on the GR18 (Sydney 2007).
As a retired person who doesn't travel much, I greatly appreciate direct report on major GR and QG conferences, and others here may as well!

I wish we could have a thread on your reactions to GR18.

Shoehorn was one of the things that appalled you about GR18 the organizer's choice of invited plenary speakers?

Of course GR17 Dublin had that much-publicized appearance by Hawking, but what else made it seem so much better to hyou?

I take it you attended all three GR16 (2001) and GR17 (2004) and GR18 (2007). At least I hope you did. And I hope very much you will also be at GR19 (2010) next year in Mexico City. Please pass on any reactions.

Marcus, are you retired. I thought you were 23 or 24, lol!

marcus said:
Note that he has not published any of his PhD dissertation research yet, he has just posted preprint on the arxiv.
Best for us onlookers to stop discussing Ita's work until he gets his PhD or until he has something accepted for publication. Commenting now will not help him gain recognition and may even be counterproductive.

Cambridge just awarded Eyo his PhD

M-tron said:
Cambridge just awarded Eyo his PhD

Bravo Eyo! Some of us here may have been in email contact. Please relay my congratulations, if you write.

Among other things it is an emblem of courage and determination that someone in his 40s would enter the PhD program at Cambridge and carry through to a degree in theoretical physics, especially in a comparatively new field like Loop quantum gravity.

I hope those here who have noticed and discussed his research from time to time join in congratulating and wishing him the best!

M-tron let us know of any details you think particularly interesting.

1. What is the Quantum Gravity Programme Essentially Complete?

The Quantum Gravity Programme Essentially Complete refers to the scientific effort to develop a unified theory that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity. It aims to explain the fundamental nature of space, time, and gravity at a microscopic level.

2. Why is the Quantum Gravity Programme Essentially Complete important?

The Quantum Gravity Programme Essentially Complete is important because it seeks to resolve one of the biggest challenges in modern physics - the unification of the two most successful theories, quantum mechanics and general relativity. It could potentially lead to a better understanding of the universe and open up new avenues for scientific exploration.

3. How close are we to achieving a complete Quantum Gravity Programme?

While significant progress has been made in the field of quantum gravity, a complete theory has not yet been achieved. However, many scientists believe that we are closer than ever before, with various promising approaches being explored, such as string theory, loop quantum gravity, and causal dynamical triangulation.

4. What are the challenges in developing a complete Quantum Gravity Programme?

One of the biggest challenges in developing a complete Quantum Gravity Programme is reconciling the seemingly incompatible principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity. Additionally, testing and verifying any proposed theories is also a major challenge, as it requires advanced technology and experiments that are beyond our current capabilities.

5. What are the potential implications of a complete Quantum Gravity Programme?

If a complete Quantum Gravity Programme is achieved, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe, from the behavior of subatomic particles to the structure of space and time. It could also have practical applications, such as improving our understanding of black holes and potentially leading to the development of new technologies.