Can I Pursue a Career in EE with a Bachelor's Degree in Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing electrical engineering as a graduate student with a Bachelor of Science degree in physics. The speaker is concerned about employability with a physics major and mentions the option of changing faculties, but it seems unlikely at this point. The speaker also shares their experience of working with engineers and physicists at their current and previous companies, and believes that a physics major can still be successful in the field of engineering.
under_par_00
I am entering my first year of physics as an undergrad next month and I was wondering, with a BSc in physics, is it possibly to pursue EE as a graduate student, and then get employed in that field. I realize that with a physics major, I will not be very employable and will likely have to go to school for 5+ more years to get a decent job.

My university doesn't seem like they would allow me to take any EE courses unless I am in the Faculty of Engineering. It is too late to change my first year classes (and faculty for that matter), and the engineering first year is generic for all engineering students, so I don't think it is possible for me to jump in second year.

Physics news on Phys.org
From my experience, I would say yes. I am currently working with engineers and physicists at my current company, albeit I believe some are engineer physics majors (not sure of the difference).

At a previous company, the Physicist I had the opportunity to work with IMO was impressive to watch. Take it for what its worth, my experience, and again I believe you will be fine!

Yes, it is possible to pursue a career in EE with a BSc in physics. In fact, many graduate programs in EE accept students with undergraduate degrees in physics. However, it may require some additional coursework or self-study to bridge any knowledge gaps between the two fields. It is also important to note that the job market for EE graduates is highly competitive, so it is important to gain practical experience through internships or research projects during your studies.

As for your concern about not being employable with a physics major, it is important to remember that a degree in physics provides a strong foundation in problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills that are highly valued in many industries. You may also consider pursuing a minor or double major in a related field, such as computer science or mathematics, to broaden your skill set and increase your employability.

Regarding your university's policy on taking EE courses, it is best to speak with an academic advisor or the EE department to see if there are any options for non-engineering students to take these courses. If not, you may consider taking online courses or attending workshops to gain some introductory knowledge in EE.

Overall, it is possible to pursue a career in EE with a physics degree, but it may require some additional effort and dedication. It is important to explore your options and seek guidance from your academic advisors to make the best decisions for your academic and career goals.

1. What is the difference between a Physics undergraduate degree and an Electrical Engineering graduate degree?

A Physics undergraduate degree focuses on the fundamentals of physics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics. On the other hand, an Electrical Engineering graduate degree builds upon these fundamentals and applies them to the field of electrical engineering, which includes topics such as circuit design, signal processing, and electronics.

2. Can a Physics undergraduate student pursue a graduate degree in Electrical Engineering?

Yes, a Physics undergraduate student can pursue a graduate degree in Electrical Engineering. However, they may need to take additional courses to fulfill the necessary prerequisites for the graduate program.

3. Is a background in both Physics and Electrical Engineering necessary for a successful career in a related field?

No, it is not necessary to have a background in both Physics and Electrical Engineering for a successful career in a related field. Many individuals have successful careers in either physics or electrical engineering without a background in the other. However, having knowledge in both fields can be beneficial in certain roles.

4. What career opportunities are available for those with a Physics undergraduate degree and an Electrical Engineering graduate degree?

Individuals with a Physics undergraduate degree and an Electrical Engineering graduate degree have a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research and development, electronics, telecommunications, renewable energy, and aerospace, among others.

5. Can a Physics undergraduate student switch to an Electrical Engineering program for their graduate studies?

Yes, a Physics undergraduate student can switch to an Electrical Engineering program for their graduate studies. However, they may need to take additional courses to fulfill the necessary prerequisites for the graduate program.