Help Two fused semi-infinite rods - hard integral

In summary, a fused semi-infinite rod is created by joining two semi-infinite rods together, appearing to have no end in one direction. The integral is used to calculate the total length of the rod, which is useful in understanding heat and electricity transfer. Studying fused semi-infinite rods can have practical applications in industries such as thermal insulation, electrical conductivity, and material design. They can also be found in nature, particularly in crystals and minerals. Real-world applications for fused semi-infinite rods include thermal insulation in buildings, electrical wiring, heat transfer in engines and machinery, and material property studies.
ab959

Homework Statement

The problem is to find an function that describes the tempurate variation with time and position of an infinitely long heated rod that is made by fusing together two semi infinite rods at x=0. They have perfect thermal contact but are made of two different materials and have different conductivity coefficients ([tex]K_1[/tex], [tex]K_2[/tex]).

Homework Equations

[tex]u_t=K u_{xx}[/tex]
u(x,0)=f(x)

for x>=0:
[tex]u=u_1[/tex].
for x<0:
[tex]u=u_2[/tex].

at x=0:
[tex]u_1=u_2=g(t)[/tex]
[tex]K_1 u_{1x}=K_2 u_{2x}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Once I created the equations above I tried to solve each case separately for two semi infinite rods and then impose the boundary conditions to so I can give the function g(t) a value that will properly govern the join.

I derive:
[tex]u_1(x,t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi K_1 t}} \int_0^{inf}exp(\frac{-(x+y)^2}{4\pi K_1 t}-exp\frac{-(x-y)^2}{4\pi K_1 t}) f(s)ds + \int_0^t\frac{x}{\sqrt{4\pi K\1 (t-s)^3}}exp\frac{-x^2}{4\pi K_1 (t-s)} g(s)ds [/tex]

[tex]u_2(x,t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi K_2 t}} \int_0^{inf}exp(\frac{-(x+y)^2}{4\pi K_2 t}-exp\frac{-(x-y)^2}{4\pi K_2 t}) f(s)ds - \int_0^t\frac{x}{\sqrt{4\pi K_2(t-s)^3}}exp\frac{-x^2}{4\pi K_2 (t-s)} g(s)ds [/tex]

but get stuck when I set [tex]u_1=u_2[/tex] at x=0 it doesn't work out to give anything (i.e. u=0). So I was thinking of trying to evaluate the integral before setting x=0 but I get stuck!

I end up reducing the problem to something like this:

[tex]\int_0^t\frac{x}{\sqrt{4\pi K_2(t-s)^3}}exp\frac{-x^2}{4\pi K_2 (t-s)} g(s)ds+\int_0^t\frac{x}{\sqrt{4\pi K_2(t-s)^3}}exp\frac{-x^2}{4\pi K_2 (t-s)} g(s)ds =0[/tex]

Any suggestions on how to simplify this further and climb this hurdle would be appreciated. Do you think this is the correct approach? I was also considering using the technique of images which is used to derive the semi infinite rod equation but I thought this would be easier.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your problem. It seems like you are on the right track, but there are a few things that could be improved in your approach.

Firstly, when setting u_1=u_2 at x=0, you need to also ensure that the derivatives of u_1 and u_2 are equal at x=0. This means that you need to set K_1 u_{1x}=K_2 u_{2x} at x=0 as well. This should help you to get a non-zero solution.

Secondly, when evaluating the integrals, it may be helpful to use variable substitutions to simplify the expressions. For example, for the first integral, you could use the substitution u=x+y and v=x-y, which would simplify the integrand to exp(-u^2/4piK_1t) and exp(-v^2/4piK_1t). This could help to simplify the expression and make it easier to evaluate.

Lastly, it may also be helpful to check your work and make sure that the final solution satisfies all of the given boundary conditions and equations. If it does not, then there may be a mistake somewhere in your calculations.

Overall, using the technique of images may also be a valid approach to solving this problem. It may be worth exploring both approaches to see which one yields a simpler solution.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem!

1. What is a fused semi-infinite rod?

A fused semi-infinite rod is a type of rod that is made by joining two semi-infinite rods together. This creates a single rod that appears to have no end or boundary in one direction.

2. How is the integral related to fused semi-infinite rods?

The integral is a mathematical tool that is used to calculate the area under a curve. In the case of fused semi-infinite rods, the integral is used to determine the total length of the rod by adding together the lengths of the two semi-infinite rods.

3. What is the purpose of studying fused semi-infinite rods?

Studying fused semi-infinite rods can help scientists and engineers understand how heat and electricity are transferred through different materials. This knowledge can be applied to various industries such as thermal insulation, electrical conductivity, and material design.

4. Can fused semi-infinite rods be found in nature?

Although fused semi-infinite rods are often used in scientific and engineering applications, they can also be found in nature. For example, some types of crystals and minerals have a crystal structure that resembles a fused semi-infinite rod.

5. Are there any real-world applications for fused semi-infinite rods?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for fused semi-infinite rods. Some examples include thermal insulation in buildings, electrical wiring in electronics, and heat transfer in engines and machinery. Fused semi-infinite rods also play a role in heat conduction experiments and studies of material properties.