Hubble's Redshift: Conclusions and Vacuum Solutions

• Thread starter OOO
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Redshift
In summary, the conversation discusses the redshift of far away galaxies and whether it has a gravitational or geometric origin. The sources of energy-momentum distribution and the implications of a vacuum solution of Einstein's equations are also mentioned. There is a discussion on the Robertson-Walker metric and the misconceptions surrounding popular views on cosmology.
OOO
The far away galaxies are moving faster which Hubble concluded from their redshift. Could he also have come to the conclusion that the observed redshift is of gravitational (or more generally: geometrical, as resulting from a "weird" metric) origin ?

Does anybody know what a vacuum solution of Einstein's equations would have to look like in order to attract objects to the outside (if that's possible at all) ? What sources (energy-momentum distribution) would this imply ?

Space news on Phys.org
Thanks, EL,

this clears it up. I've always thought that this was relativistic Doppler redshift. At least it's reassuring to know that Hubble and friends did also think that at first. Of course I've heard the term Robertson-Walker metric before, but as it is, I have not paid much attention to it.

Last edited:
OOO said:
Thanks, EL,

this clears it up. I've always thought that this was relativistic Doppler redshift. At least it's reassuring to know that Hubble and friends did also think that at first. Of course I've heard the term Robertson-Walker metric before, but as it is, I have not paid much attention to it.

As you learn more cosmology, you'll be surprised how many misconceptions there exist in the popular view of the subject. Basically everything is actually quite complex, and when it is popularized a lot of stuff is left out. Unfortunately it's often not just the details, but also important basic concepts, which gets excluded.

1. What is Hubble's Redshift?

Hubble's Redshift refers to the observation that distant galaxies appear to be moving away from us at a faster rate than nearby galaxies. This phenomenon was first discovered by astronomer Edwin Hubble in the 1920s and is a key piece of evidence for the expansion of the universe.

2. How does Hubble's Redshift support the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory states that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since. Hubble's Redshift provides evidence for this expansion by showing that galaxies are moving away from each other, just as the theory predicts. This also supports the idea that the universe was once much smaller and denser.

3. What are the potential implications of Hubble's Redshift?

Hubble's Redshift has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It suggests that the universe is expanding and has been for billions of years. This has led to theories about the origin and fate of the universe, as well as the possibility of other universes existing beyond our own.

4. Are there any alternative explanations for Hubble's Redshift?

While Hubble's Redshift is widely accepted as evidence for the expanding universe, there have been other proposed explanations. Some scientists have suggested that the redshift could be caused by light being absorbed or scattered as it travels through space. However, these alternative explanations have not been supported by extensive evidence.

5. What are vacuum solutions in the context of Hubble's Redshift?

Vacuum solutions refer to mathematical equations that describe the behavior of the universe in the absence of matter or energy. In the context of Hubble's Redshift, vacuum solutions are used to model the expansion of the universe and predict the redshift of distant galaxies. These solutions are important for understanding the implications of Hubble's Redshift on our understanding of the universe.