Which book to read after quantum mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about deciding between two books, one on path integration and the other on QFT, and the speaker is leaning towards the path integration book. The other person suggests comparing the tables of contents and reading a bit of each to see which one is preferred. They also mention considering the writing style and using both books for comparison. The conversation also brings up another book on QFT by Ryder.
captain
i just finished reading j.j. sakurai's qm book and was have two books. one that is about path integration that starts out on a level for advanced undergrads or graduate students and one that is qft in a nutshell by zee. i can't decide which to start first. I am leaning toward the path integration book, but i am still not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know either of them, but it depends on what you want to learn and what your current level is.
You should start by comparing the tables of contents and decide which one gives the information you want to get first, and see if maybe for one you need prerequisite knowledge that the other one covers. If they are (almost) equivalent, you could start by reading a bit, like the first two chapters, in each of them and see which you like best.
Also, sometimes books are very well for looking stuff up, but not so well if you want to learn something from them; sometimes it's the other way around. And then there is the writing style you like best.
I don't think other people can really give you a definitive advise on which one to read first, just browse through them and pick one. Or you could compare the subjects and read about the same subject in both, so you have comparison.

But maybe you can give the title of the other one as well?

By the way, I have a book by Ryder on QFT. Haven't really looked into it much yet, and most of it is outside the range of the course I'm taking at the moment, but by the looks of it it's a solid and well-written book.

Last edited:

I understand the importance of continuously expanding our knowledge and understanding of complex concepts such as quantum mechanics. Congratulations on completing Sakurai's QM book! It seems like you have two great options for your next read: a path integration book and Zee's QFT in a Nutshell.

In my opinion, the best approach would be to start with the path integration book. This topic is closely related to quantum mechanics and will provide a deeper understanding of the mathematical tools used in QM. It is also suitable for advanced undergraduates or graduate students, which aligns with your current level of knowledge.

After gaining a solid foundation in path integration, you can then move on to Zee's QFT book. This will build upon your understanding of QM and introduce you to a new and important concept in theoretical physics. Additionally, Zee's book is known for its clear and concise explanations, making it a great resource for self-study.

Ultimately, the decision is yours and both books will undoubtedly enhance your understanding of quantum mechanics. I encourage you to choose the book that aligns with your personal interests and learning style. Happy reading!

1. What is a good book to read after learning quantum mechanics?

After mastering the fundamentals of quantum mechanics, a great book to delve deeper into the subject is "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell. It provides a comprehensive and accessible introduction to quantum field theory, which is the natural next step in understanding the quantum world.

2. Can you recommend a book for beginners to read after quantum mechanics?

If you are just starting to learn about quantum mechanics, a great book to read next is "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman. It is written in a conversational style and breaks down complex concepts into easy-to-understand explanations.

3. Is there a book that covers the applications of quantum mechanics?

Yes, "Quantum Mechanics and its Applications" by Ajoy Ghatak and S. Lokanathan is a great book that covers the applications of quantum mechanics in various fields such as solid state physics, atomic and molecular physics, and nuclear physics. It also includes exercises and problems to test your understanding of the material.

4. What book should I read after quantum mechanics if I am interested in quantum computing?

If you want to learn about the fascinating field of quantum computing, "Quantum Computing: A Gentle Introduction" by Eleanor Rieffel and Wolfgang Polak is a great choice. It provides a beginner-friendly introduction to the principles and applications of quantum computing.

5. Are there any books that go beyond the basics of quantum mechanics?

For those who want to explore the more advanced topics in quantum mechanics, "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by R. Shankar is an excellent resource. It covers topics such as symmetries and conservation laws, scattering theory, and relativistic wave equations, making it a great book to read after you have a solid understanding of the basics.