Hat is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the floor and the box

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a physics problem involving the coefficient of kinetic friction between a 5kg box and the floor. The box slides 3m with an initial speed of 3m/s before coming to rest. Using conservation of energy and the equation for force applied over distance, the coefficient of kinetic friction is calculated to be 0.306. The conversation also requests for the derivation of the equations and values used.
Nayeli MTZ
I have no idea of how to start solving this problem.
A 5kg box slides 3m across the floor before coming to rest. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the floor and the box if the box had an initial speed of 3m/s?
Can somebody please help me solve the problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We respectfully request students to show their work.

Now since the box has an initial velocity, it has kinetic energy. It has mass, and therefore a weight, and therefore a frictional force (in a gravitational field).

Use conservation of energy and the fact that force applied over distance is equivalent to energy. When the box stops, it has not kinetic energy. What happened to the initial kinetic energy?

I have no idea, it is one of my HMK problems from Physics. It is a multiple choice question, the choices are 1.05,0.587,0.153,0.306, and 0.2

Last edited:
I think this is how it is solved.
Fk=mv2/d
Fk=15
[tex]\mu[/tex]=Fk/mg
[tex]\mu[/tex]=0.306

Please show how one derived those relations, particularly Fk=mv2/d. And please show the values one assumes.

There appears to be a factor of 2 missing.

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces when one is moving relative to the other. It is represented by the symbol μ (mu) and is a dimensionless quantity.

How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. This can be represented by the equation μ = Fk/N.

What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by several factors, including the roughness of the surfaces, the materials of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants. It is also dependent on the normal force and the speed of the moving object.

Why is the coefficient of kinetic friction important?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is an important concept in physics and engineering, as it helps us understand and predict the amount of force required to move objects across different surfaces. It is also useful in designing and optimizing machines and structures that involve motion.

How does the coefficient of kinetic friction differ from the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction refers to the resistance between two surfaces when one is in motion, while the coefficient of static friction refers to the resistance between two surfaces when one is at rest. The coefficient of kinetic friction is typically lower than the coefficient of static friction, as it is easier to keep an object in motion than to initiate its motion.