Graduate Programs (applied math) for Non-Math Majors

In summary, a little over a year ago, a Western Michigan University graduate with a double major in Film and Archeology started studying math on her own and placed into a pre calculus class. This summer she started tutoring for algebra students at a city college, and she is considering applying to an applied math masters program. She recommends taking the necessary classes, the gre subject and quantitative and applying. If a second bachelor's degree is a deal breaker, she could try a bridge program.
fadeout
A little over a year ago I graduated from a state school (Western Michigan University) with a double major in Film and Archeology. I have always liked math but was more focused on film. This summer I started studying math on my own and placed into a pre calculus class at a city college. I am doing very well in this class and would like to continue studying math. Next semester I will be taking calc 1 and I was asked to TA for a college algebra class at the city college. All this semester I have been a tutor for algebra students. I am wondering what plan of action I should take to get accepted into an applied math masters program. I am not too keen on getting a second bachelor’s degree, but I would if that was a deal breaker. Are there any sort of “bridge programs" to get student’s ready for grad school in an unrelated major or should I just tough out a second degree?

Physics news on Phys.org
at calc 1 you're still a long way from enough coursework to be a math grad student. take the necessary classes, the gre subject and quantitative and apply. someone will take you.

Math I needed for my physics degree:

Calc 1-3 (limits, derivatives, integrals, sequences, and series)
Multivariable calculus
Linear Algebra (similar to the algebra you did, but not the same, although you could handle it at this point)
Differential equations

And then I picked up a lot of math along the way in various physics classes, like learning complex analysis, Fourier tranforms/series, crap, I don't even remember all of it now.

And you'll need a few more for a math degree. So you've got a long way to go. ;)

Just keep at it. I took most of that math at community college before transferring to a university. You could also ask the math professors at your college what they did and what you should do.

Thanks for the help. It looks like it's time for another degree. Hopefully I won't have to retake all my gen-eds.

1. What is a graduate program in applied math for non-math majors?

A graduate program in applied math for non-math majors is a graduate-level program that focuses on the practical application of mathematical principles to real-world problems. It is designed for students who have a background in a non-mathematical field but are interested in utilizing mathematical tools and techniques in their career.

2. What are the requirements for admission to a graduate program in applied math for non-math majors?

The specific requirements may vary depending on the university, but most programs require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in a relevant field, such as engineering, computer science, or economics. Some programs may also require applicants to have completed specific math courses or have a certain level of proficiency in mathematics.

3. What can I expect to learn in a graduate program in applied math for non-math majors?

In this program, you can expect to learn advanced mathematical concepts and techniques that are applicable to real-world problems. You may also learn how to use computer software and programming languages to solve complex mathematical problems. Additionally, you may have the opportunity to work on research projects and gain practical experience.

4. What career opportunities are available for graduates of a graduate program in applied math for non-math majors?

Graduates of this program can pursue a variety of careers in fields such as data science, finance, engineering, and economics. They may work as data analysts, financial analysts, risk managers, or operations researchers, among other roles. The skills and knowledge gained in this program can also be applied to other industries, making graduates versatile and in-demand.

5. Are there any scholarships or financial aid options available for graduate programs in applied math for non-math majors?

Yes, many universities offer scholarships and financial aid options for graduate students in applied math for non-math majors. It is recommended to research and apply for these opportunities early on in the application process. Additionally, some employers may offer tuition reimbursement programs for employees pursuing a graduate degree in a relevant field.