Solving Elliptic Integral: Replacing x with 1/kx

In summary, the conversation discusses a change of variable in an integral and the use of arcsin to map the upper half plane onto a shaded strip. It also mentions how by reflecting in the punctured plane, the target plane can be tiled with congruent images of the upper and lower half-planes. The conversation also includes a request for help and a question about personal preferences.
kexue
When replacing x with 1/kx then

[tex]
\int_{1/k}^\infty {\left[ {\left( {x^2 - 1} \right)\left( {k^2 x^2 - 1} \right)} \right]} ^{ - 1/2} dx = \int\limits_0^1 {\left[ {\left( {\frac{1}{{k^2 x^2 }} - 1} \right)\left( {\frac{1}{{x^2 }} - 1} \right)} \right]} ^{ - 1/2} \frac{{dx}}{{kx^2 }}
[/tex]

I do not see how. Why ranges the LHS integral over infinity, whereas the RHS from 0 to 1?

Any help and hints very much appreciated.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
As x goes from 1/k to infinity, kx goes from 1 to infinity, and 1/kx goes from 1 to 0. Make the change of variable u= 1/kx and then, since both u and x are "dummy variables", replace u with x.

thank you

From the same book, I have the following.

Arcsin (which is given its integral form) maps the upper half plane 1:1 onto the shaded strip |x|<pi/2, y>0.

Now the sentence I don't get. By reflection in the punctured plane (punctured at +1 and -1), it produces a full tiling of the target plane by congruent, nonoverlapping images of the upper and lower half-planes.

So by this reflection we get many strips, that then completely cover the target plane.

But how does that work?

thank you

I have attached a file.

What goes on with 'By reflection in the punctured plane (punctured at +1 and -1), it produces a full tiling of the target plane by congruent, nonoverlapping images of the upper and lower half-planes'.

I do not understand this.

Attachments

• mapping.pdf
    149.6 KB · Views: 209
Hellllooooooooo!

By the way, it is from the book 'Elliptic Curves' by McKean and Moll, p. 71. They call this example simple and a warm up.

Anybody out there that can give a comment?

don't be shy

What is it what you people here don't like about my question?

Please talk to me.

Who do you find hotter, Scarlett Johanson or Jessica Alba?

1. What is an elliptic integral?

An elliptic integral is a type of integral that involves an elliptic function. It is used to solve problems related to the arc length, area, and volume of an ellipse.

2. How is x replaced with 1/kx in solving an elliptic integral?

This substitution is used to simplify the integral and make it solvable by standard methods. It essentially transforms the integral into a form that is easier to work with.

3. What is the significance of the constant k in the substitution?

The constant k represents the ratio of the major and minor axes of the ellipse. It is used to scale the ellipse and is necessary for solving the integral.

4. Can any elliptic integral be solved by replacing x with 1/kx?

No, this substitution method can only be used for certain types of elliptic integrals. It is important to check if the integral can be transformed into a suitable form before using this method.

5. Are there any limitations to using this substitution method?

Yes, this method may not work for all values of the constant k. In some cases, it may result in an unsolvable integral or produce a complex solution.