What drives the magnetic field of Earth and how does gravity play a role?

In summary: The magnetic field is generated by a dynamo process in the core. Liquid outer core + solid inner core + convection = magnetic field. The rotation of Earth also has it's fair share of duties for MF production. Gravity effects your model by causing the liquid outer core to become solid. This in turn would stop the dynamo process from generating the magnetic field.
jontyjashan
What would happen to the magnetic field of Earth if the planet suddenly freezes?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Um...the planet is pretty solid already. What do you mean by "suddenly freezes".

jontyjashan said:
What would happen to the magnetic field of Earth if the planet suddenly freezes?

If the molten core were to become solid, I'd expect the magnetic field to be drastically smaller.

jontyjashan said:

Not to be rude, and I'm glad you have an interest in the field of physics and astronomy, but you've posted an awful lot of weird topics on the matter.

Are you a physics student?

The magnetic field is generated by a dynamo process in the core. Liquid outer core + solid inner core + convection = magnetic field.

If by freezes you mean everything including the cores of the Earth become solid, then we won't have a magnetic field.

If you mean freeze by on the surface (crust) freezing, with snow and ice and what have you. Then nothing would happen.

protonchain said:
Not to be rude, and I'm glad you have an interest in the field of physics and astronomy, but you've posted an awful lot of weird topics on the matter.

Are you a physics student?

The magnetic field is generated by a dynamo process in the core. Liquid outer core + solid inner core + convection = magnetic field.

If by freezes you mean everything including the cores of the Earth become solid, then we won't have a magnetic field.

If you mean freeze by on the surface (crust) freezing, with snow and ice and what have you. Then nothing would happen.

Wouldnt the Earth spinning on its axis create a very small magnetic field because it is spinning the large solid core? I know if you turn the solid metal within an electric engine it creates a magnetic field similar to the one that creates its spin with electircity. Or is the spin of the Earth to slow to do something of that nature? Also i know if the Earth itself stopped spinning we would have no definate north and south fields on our planet

d0wnl0w said:
Wouldnt the Earth spinning on its axis create a very small magnetic field because it is spinning the large solid core? I know if you turn the solid metal within an electric engine it creates a magnetic field similar to the one that creates its spin with electircity. Or is the spin of the Earth to slow to do something of that nature? Also i know if the Earth itself stopped spinning we would have no definate north and south fields on our planet

Indeed, the rotation of Earth also has it's fair share of duties for MF production

protonchain said:

In the above model I don't see any driving force. Process- yes, state of matter- yes . How does gravity effect your model? And if you separate it out, How and why do you do it?

1. What is the magnetic field of the Earth?

The magnetic field of the Earth is a powerful force that surrounds our planet and extends into space. It is generated by the movement of molten iron in the Earth's outer core.

2. How does the magnetic field protect the Earth?

The magnetic field acts as a shield, deflecting harmful solar wind and cosmic rays away from the Earth's surface. This protects our planet and its inhabitants from potentially damaging radiation.

3. Can the magnetic field of the Earth change?

Yes, the magnetic field of the Earth is constantly changing. In fact, it has reversed direction many times in the past, with the North and South magnetic poles switching places. This process is known as geomagnetic reversal.

4. How is the magnetic field of the Earth measured?

The strength and direction of the Earth's magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This can be done on the Earth's surface or from space using satellites.

5. What impact does the magnetic field have on our daily lives?

The magnetic field of the Earth has a significant impact on our daily lives. It allows us to use compasses for navigation, protects our technology from solar storms, and even plays a role in the migration patterns of animals such as birds and sea turtles.