Solid Mechanics: Calculating Stress for Aluminium & Steel

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the stress (\sigma) for aluminum and steel materials, taking into account their elasticity and volume. Hooke's law is mentioned as a potential aid, but the strains and volume are not fully understood. The discussion also touches on relating the forces to the applied load and determining the ratio of forces for each material. The idea that the stress may not be affected by the height of the element is also mentioned.
Dell
Capture.JPG

now i am looking for the stress [tex]\sigma[/tex] for the aluminium and for the steel
i would want to say simply [tex]\sigma[/tex]=F/A but i need to somehow take into account the types of materials and their elasticity,
i think that hookes law could help me here but i don't know the strains
also how do i take the volume into account? the only equation i have for volume is [tex]\Delta[/tex]=[tex]\epsilon[/tex]x + [tex]\epsilon[/tex]y + [tex]\epsilon[/tex]z, but i doubt that's going to help

Physics news on Phys.org
You know a little about the strains, since the rigid top plate supplies a constraint on the components' deformation. What can you say about the strain of the steel and aluminum?

Each component will have its own stress, cross-sectional area, and force. Can you relate the forces to the applied load?

i would think that the aluminium and steel have the same strains.
i can find the ratio of forces on each material as their area of the rigid plate? is this correct?

F(Al) = 4P/7
F(Steel)= 3P/7

-------------

can i say that since i only have forces on the y axis

[tex]\sigma[/tex]=[tex]\epsilon[/tex]*E

now since the strains are the same

[tex]\sigma[/tex]Al=[tex]\epsilon[/tex]*70*109
[tex]\sigma[/tex]Steel=[tex]\epsilon[/tex]*200*109

now i have t equations and 3 unknowns, but i know

[tex]\sigma[/tex]Al*2*10-3 + [tex]\sigma[/tex]Steel*1.5*10-3=385*103

thanks for the help

does that mean that the stress has nothing to do with the height of the element

That's what it looks like.

What is solid mechanics?

Solid mechanics is a branch of mechanics that studies the behavior of solid materials under external forces, such as stress, strain, and deformation.

What is stress?

Stress is a measure of the internal forces acting within a material, caused by external forces. It is expressed as force per unit area and can cause a material to deform or break.

How is stress calculated for aluminium and steel?

The stress for aluminium and steel is calculated using the formula: stress = force / area. The force is the external force applied to the material, and the area is the cross-sectional area of the material.

What factors can affect stress in aluminium and steel?

The stress in aluminium and steel can be affected by various factors, including the type and magnitude of the external force, the geometry of the material, and the material's properties such as yield strength and Young's modulus.

Why is it important to calculate stress in aluminium and steel?

Calculating stress in aluminium and steel is important because it helps engineers and scientists understand how a material will behave under different external forces. This information is crucial in designing structures and machines that can withstand these forces without failing.