Conceptualling understanding transistors

• Thread starter PherricOxide
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistors
In summary, when a forward biased voltage is applied to an NP junction, the electrons get pushed into the positively charged ions and cancel with them, and current flows. When a negative biased voltage is applied to an NP junction, the electrons fill even more of the holes in the P type material and get pulled out of the N type material, so the depletion zone or charged ions grows, as does the resistance, allowing a negligible amount of current to flow.
PherricOxide
Okay, so my basic understanding of an NP junction (diode) is as follows. When no external voltage is applied, some of the electrons in the N type material jump over to the "holes" in the P type material. The holes then end up moving back into the P type material further, and you end up with negatively charged ions in the P type and positively charged ions in the N type. Since there aren't many free electrons around in the depletion zone, it contains a rather high resistance.

When you apply a forward biased voltage to the NP junction, the electrons get pushed into the positively charged ions and cancel with them, and get pulled out of the negatively charged ions, therefore shrinking the depletion zone and lowering the resistance so current flows.

When you apply a negative biased voltage to the NP junction, the electrons fill even more of the holes in the P type material and get pulled out of the N type material, so the depletion zone or charged ions grows, as does the resistance, allowing a negligible amount of current to flow.

Now I'm confused over NPN bipolar junction transistors. In particular, if a forward biased voltage is applied between the base and emitter, and a larger reverse biased voltage is applied between the base and the collector. I understand that the emitter-base depletion zone breaks down and current flows, but I don't understand why the base-collector depletion zone doesn't grow as a reverse biased diode would. Could someone try and explain this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the b e junction is not forward biased, then the c b junction will not pass current and acts just like you say. Forward biasing the b e junction produces carriers in the b layer which prevent the cb depletion layer from forming, I think.

The actual geometry is important if you want a transistor to work best - thickness of the base layer is an important factor. They started off with Betas of less than 1, I believe!
A transistor will actually work (badly, though) connected the other way round.

The reason collector current flows is as follows. When the b-e junction is forward biased, holes are injected from the base to emitter, and electrons from the emitter to base. This is for npn type. The holes from the base recombine in the emitter region. The electrons from the emitter transit through the base, a small fraction recombine in the base, and almost all keep moving into the collector. They are drawn to the collector due to the electric field in the reverse biased c-b junction.

Thus, the emitter current due to forward biasing the b-e junction, consists of electrons from emitter to base, which transit through the base, arrive at the collector, and become collector current. Emitter current charge carriers cross the junction and become collector charge carriers, i.e. collector current. Current is just charge motion.

The math equation for this transistor action is Ic = alpha*Ie. A good device has alpha close to 1, i.e. 0.98-0.998. Did I help?

Claude

Last edited:
Well yes. But the original question was about the possibility formation of a depletion region between n Collector and P Base, though. I think this is what happens without base current.

sophiecentaur said:
Well yes. But the original question was about the possibility formation of a depletion region between n Collector and P Base, though. I think this is what happens without base current.

Yes this does happen, with or without base current. The c-b junction is reverse biased, and a depletion region exists. When the b-e junction is forward biased, the c-b depletion region remains, as the c-b junction is still reverse biased (except if the bjt saturates).

Does this help?

Claude

What is a transistor?

A transistor is a small electronic device that acts as a switch or amplifier for electronic signals. It is made up of semiconductor material, typically silicon, and has three layers: the emitter, base, and collector. By controlling the flow of current between these layers, a transistor can amplify or switch electronic signals.

How does a transistor work?

A transistor works by using a small amount of current to control a larger amount of current. The base layer of the transistor is the control point, and when a small current is applied to it, it allows a larger current to flow between the emitter and the collector. This flow of current can then be used to amplify or switch electronic signals.

What is the importance of transistors in technology?

Transistors are an essential component in modern technology, especially in electronics. They are used in a wide range of devices, from computers and smartphones to televisions and radios. Transistors allow for the miniaturization of electronic components, making devices smaller, faster, and more efficient.

How are transistors made?

Transistors are made through a process called semiconductor fabrication. This involves creating a thin layer of semiconductor material, such as silicon, and using various techniques to add impurities to specific areas of the material. These impurities change the electrical properties of the semiconductor, allowing it to function as a transistor.

What are the different types of transistors?

There are two main types of transistors: bipolar junction transistors (BJTs) and field-effect transistors (FETs). BJTs use both electrons and holes to carry current, while FETs use only one type of charge carrier. Within these two categories, there are various subtypes, such as NPN and PNP BJTs and JFETs and MOSFETs FETs.