Why does Chromium oxide form before ferrous oxide?

• Thread starter HyperSniper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary, Chromium oxide forms on stainless steel at a rate faster than that of rust (ferrous oxide) because Chromium has a better electrode potential and because the reaction is faster than ferrous oxide.
HyperSniper
It's been a while since I've had a Chemistry class, and I've been trying to get a more detailed answer as to how stainless steel works. Specifically, why does Chromium oxide form on stainless steel at a rate faster than that of rust (ferrous oxide)? What determines the rate at which these two reactions take place?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
HyperSniper said:
It's been a while since I've had a Chemistry class, and I've been trying to get a more detailed answer as to how stainless steel works. Specifically, why does Chromium oxide form on stainless steel at a rate faster than that of rust (ferrous oxide)? What determines the rate at which these two reactions take place?
I don't know, but I suspect you have the right words in asking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_rate" explains the difference in the rate of the two reactions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, looks like those two things look like good places to start investigating. Thanks.

If I find come to a good enough answer I'll come back and post it. If I haven't posted anything yet, that probably means I don't know. So if any kind soul would like to enlighten us go ahead an post an explanation in this thread.

Last edited:
Okay, I think I know what the reason is now. The thing I overlooked was the fact that they are both oxidation reactions, so it would be little bit easier to compare them that way.

Chromium oxide forms faster than ferrous oxide is because of Chromium's postion on the electrochemical series. Chromium has an electrode potential of -0.744 while iron has an electrode potential of -0.037, which means Chromium is a better reducing agent. Part of the reason that the electrode potential is greater is because there are less electrons to remove from the outter most energy level. Therefore, the activation energy is far less, which means that the reaction is a lot faster.

Have I overlooked anything or made a mistake in my reasoning?

Last edited:
Chromium is also more reducing than Iron, so its oxidation is favorite energetically.

I don't think it is rate of the reaction that counts here. From what I know once chromium oxide layer covers the steel it isolates it from the atmospheric oxygen, this is called passivation.

No, the rate of the reaction definitely counts for something. If the stainless steel is scratched lightly it still won't develop rust. If you scratch it too much it may rust because there is not enough chromium to prevent it though, depending on what type of stainless steel it is.

When it is first made no passivation layer is put on the metal, it develops on its own. It develops because the reaction is faster than that of ferrous oxide, therefore preventing the iron from oxidizing.

If I've got time later I'll try and get some math and citations up to prove this.

Intuition tells me it doesn't have to be faster to prevent iron oxidation, but if you will find something more reliable than intuition - that's OK with me :wink:

1. Why is Chromium oxide more stable than ferrous oxide?

Chromium oxide (Cr2O3) is more stable than ferrous oxide (FeO) because it has a higher melting point and is less reactive with oxygen. This allows it to form a protective layer on the surface of the metal, preventing further oxidation.

2. How does the formation of Chromium oxide prevent corrosion?

The formation of Chromium oxide prevents corrosion by creating a barrier between the metal and the surrounding environment. This barrier is highly resistant to corrosion and can slow down the rate of oxidation, thus protecting the metal from further damage.

3. What factors influence the formation of Chromium oxide before ferrous oxide?

The formation of Chromium oxide before ferrous oxide is influenced by several factors, such as the chemical composition of the metal, the temperature and pressure of the environment, and the presence of other elements that may catalyze the reaction. These factors can affect the rate of oxidation and the stability of the resulting oxide layers.

4. Can ferrous oxide form before Chromium oxide under certain conditions?

Yes, ferrous oxide can form before Chromium oxide under certain conditions, such as high temperatures and low oxygen levels. In these conditions, ferrous oxide may be more stable and form a protective layer on the surface of the metal before Chromium oxide has a chance to form.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding the formation of Chromium oxide before ferrous oxide?

Understanding the formation of Chromium oxide before ferrous oxide is important in various industries, such as metallurgy, construction, and manufacturing. It can help engineers and scientists develop more corrosion-resistant materials and improve the durability of structures and equipment. This knowledge can also aid in the development of more efficient and cost-effective ways to prevent and control corrosion in various environments.