Contravariant components to covariant

In summary, the speaker was discussing their difficulties with coordinate transformations and metric tensors. They defined a new coordinate system (s,t) and its inverse transformation, but had trouble finding the covariant coordinates of a point in this system. After seeking help, they were advised that their metric tensor was incorrect and should have a different value for the mixed components.
cavus
Hi, everyone

I was playing with the coordinate transformations and metric tensors to get a feeling of how it all behaves, and got stuck with some basic problem I am hoping you can help me with.

So, I have defined a coordinate system (s,t), with the s axis going along the x-axis in the cartesian coordinates, and t axis going along the y=x line:
s = x-y
t = y*sqrt(2)

with inverse transformation:

x = s + t/sqrt(2)
y = t/sqrt(2)

If I am differentiating correctly, the metric tensor in these coordinates looks like:
1 (2+sqrt(2))/2
(2+sqrt(2))/2 1

g11 = g22 = 1,
g21=g12 = (2+sqrt(2))/2

Now, I pick a point (3,1) in cartesian coordinates, and transform it to my new frame, and get the contravariant coordinates as (2, sqrt(2)).
So far so good. What I am trying to do is find out what its covariant coordinates are going to be. I think, that covariant coordinates are supposed to be the lengths of orthogonal projections of the vector on the respective axes. From basic geometry, I get (3, 2*sqrt(2)).

The problem is that when I try to multiply my metric tensor by the contravariant vector, I get a different answer - (3+sqrt(2), 2+2*sqrt(2))
Clearly, there is something I am doing wrong here, but I can't figure out what it is :( Can somebody please help me spot the problem?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your metric is wrong. The mixed components (g12 and g21) should be 1/sqrt(2).
Because you did not show how you got your metric tensor, I can't say where you went wrong, but if your check your index dropping with the correct metric, you'll see that it fits.

Hope, it helps ...

1. What is the difference between contravariant and covariant components?

Contravariant and covariant components are two types of mathematical transformations used to describe the behavior of vectors and tensors in a particular coordinate system. In simple terms, contravariant components describe how the vector or tensor changes as the coordinate system is changed, while covariant components describe how the coordinate system itself changes.

2. How are contravariant components and covariant components related?

Contravariant and covariant components are related through a mathematical operation known as the metric tensor. The metric tensor is a mathematical object that connects the two types of components, allowing for easy conversion between them.

3. Why are contravariant components and covariant components important in physics?

Contravariant and covariant components are important in physics because they allow us to accurately describe the behavior of vectors and tensors in different coordinate systems. This is crucial for understanding physical phenomena that involve multiple reference frames, such as special relativity and general relativity.

4. How do contravariant components and covariant components affect the calculation of physical quantities?

The choice of using either contravariant or covariant components can affect the calculation of physical quantities, as they may require different mathematical operations to convert between the two. For example, the dot product between two vectors would involve the contravariant components in one coordinate system and the covariant components in another coordinate system.

5. Can you provide an example of where understanding contravariant and covariant components is important?

One example of where understanding contravariant and covariant components is important is in the study of black holes. In general relativity, the equations for black hole solutions are written in terms of covariant components, making it necessary to convert to contravariant components in order to calculate physical quantities such as the black hole's mass and angular momentum.