The temperature dependence of target ionization(Z(T))

In summary, Z(T) is obtained sloving the equation of state (EOS)based on the Thomas -fermi model. The equation of state is not correct for low temperature.
leila8061
i am studying on heavy ion fusion, i need to know about the temperature dependece of target ionization,Z(T)is obtained sloving the equation of state (EOS)based on the Thomas -fermi model. Also,More(1981) is derived an equation to Z(T),but this relation is not correct to low temperature. i studied this model but i could not slove these equations and derive a equation for all temperatue ranges, please guide me about this topic,how can i derive a equation to Z(T)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What does one consider 'heavy ion'? Si, Ca, Fe or heavier?

What temperature range?

Is one thinking of stellar fusion?

Last edited:
hello.Heavy ion beams of Pb, Cs, are suitable for inertial confinement fusion.
Temperature range is from zero to about thousand eV. ( from beginning time of deposition energy of heavy ion beam on the pellet surface to fusion time). i want Z(T) to different pellet such as: Carbon, Diamond , Al, Au,Pb,...
Z(T) is used in stopping power formula.

Thank you for clarifying the application.

The Z(T) will actually become Z(T, t) or Z(T(t)) because the cryogenic target will be rapidly changing temperature with energy deposition. So the problem goes from cryogenic temperature, not really 0 K, but probably starting near 10-14 K, melting/freezing point of hydrogen, to plasma temperatures ~ 1000 eV (~11,600,000 K) in a short time, perhaps on the order of 1 ms or less.

This might provide some background - http://scitation.aip.org/getpdf/servlet/GetPDFServlet?filetype=pdf&id=PHPAEN000002000011003933000001&idtype=cvips&prog=normal&bypassSSO=1

I'll have to look for other resources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your attention and help. Please guide me about equation of state of plasma fusion, how do I derive Z(T) from Thomas-Fermi equations . I read the book of “The physics of inertial fusion” STEFANO ATZENI and JÜRGEN MEYER-TER-VEHN, page 320 to up about hot dense matter, but only a relation for Z(T(More, 1981)) that it is not correct in low temperature, it need to binding corrections.Also i work on direct drive only.

Last edited:

1. What is the significance of studying the temperature dependence of target ionization?

The temperature dependence of target ionization, also known as Z(T), is an important factor in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in various environments. It helps us understand how different temperatures affect the ionization of particles, which in turn affects the chemical and physical properties of materials.

2. How does the temperature affect the ionization of target particles?

The temperature dependence of target ionization is described by a mathematical relationship known as the Saha equation. This equation shows that as the temperature increases, the number of particles that are ionized also increases. This is because higher temperatures provide the necessary energy for particles to overcome their ionization energy and become ionized.

3. What factors can influence the temperature dependence of target ionization?

Aside from temperature, other factors that can affect Z(T) include the type of target material, the composition of the surrounding environment, and the intensity of radiation or electric field. The chemical and physical properties of the target material can also play a role in determining its ionization behavior.

4. How is the temperature dependence of target ionization measured?

The temperature dependence of target ionization can be measured through various experimental techniques such as spectroscopy, mass spectrometry, and laser-induced fluorescence. These methods allow scientists to observe the changes in ionization as temperature is varied and determine the Z(T) values for different materials.

5. What applications does the temperature dependence of target ionization have?

The temperature dependence of target ionization has many practical applications, including in plasma physics, astrophysics, and materials science. It is also important in understanding the behavior of gases in combustion processes and in the development of new technologies such as plasma-based energy sources and laser-driven particle accelerators.