Extending Newton's Law to real life. No more ideal systems

In summary, the conversation discusses extending Newton's Laws to real life situations and the concept of "ideal systems." The specific scenario being discussed involves a block of mass m hanging on a pulley connected to another block of mass M on a table, with friction and the mass of the pulley being taken into consideration. By using the equations F=ma and Ffric=uFnormal, it is determined that in order for the hanging mass to drop to the ground and the block on the table to follow, the friction must be greater than the ratio of m/M. The friction of the pulley also affects the tension on either side of the pulley, with the tension being greater on the side where the hanging mass is located.
flyingpig
Extending Newton's Law to real life. No more "ideal systems"!

Homework Statement

Newton's Laws in reality, applying all forces 10 pts?
A block of mass m is hung on a pulley that is at the end of a table. The pulley connects the hanging block m and another block M that is on the table. The friction between the block and the surface is u. In this system, the pulley has a mass and there is friction in the pulley. The mass of the pulley is unknown, but it is assumed to be smaller than the blocks.

In this question, assume that the hanging mass m < M, the block on the table. As the hanging mass is let go, the hanging mass drops to the ground and the block on the table follows. Using your knowledge of physics, explain how the pulley's mass, friction, can make this unideal situation possible?

Homework Equations

F = ma

Ffric = uFnormal

The Attempt at a Solution

I used M as the heavy mass and m as the lighter mass

(1) mg - T = ma

(2) T - uMg = Ma

(1) + (2)

g(uM - m) = a(M + m)

g(uM - m)/(M + m) = a

For a to go downwards, then a>0

g(uM - m)/(M + m) > 0

g(uM + m) > 0

uM - m > 0

u > m/M

Is this right? But even so, how do i account for the friction and mass of the pulley? I need to explain this "nonideal system"

Physics news on Phys.org

flyingpig said:
Is this right? But even so, how do i account for the friction and mass of the pulley? I need to explain this "nonideal system"

The way than I imagine the whole system, the friction of pulley means that tension isn't T
the same on both sides of the pulley. The equations I would use are:(1) mg - T1 = ma => T1 = mg - ma

(2) T2 - uMg = Ma => T2 = Ma +uMg

Since it's moving at the side where m mass is hanging, it must be T1 > T2...

Last edited:

1. How does Newton's law apply to real-life situations?

Newton's law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In real-life situations, this law applies to the movement of objects on Earth, such as the motion of a car or a ball rolling down a hill. It also applies to larger scale phenomena, such as the motion of planets and galaxies.

2. What are some examples of non-ideal systems where Newton's law may not apply?

Newton's law is based on idealized situations and may not fully apply in non-ideal systems. Examples of non-ideal systems include objects moving through fluids, such as air resistance affecting the motion of a falling object, or objects moving at high speeds, where relativistic effects come into play.

3. How does friction affect the application of Newton's law in real life?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. In real-life situations, friction is present and can significantly affect the application of Newton's law. For example, when a car is driving on a road, friction between the tires and the road is necessary to provide the necessary force for the car to accelerate and maintain motion.

4. Can Newton's law be applied to objects with varying mass?

Yes, Newton's law can be applied to objects with varying mass. The law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a larger force is required to accelerate an object with a larger mass compared to an object with a smaller mass.

5. How does Newton's law apply to objects in non-uniform motion?

Newtons's law can still be applied to objects in non-uniform motion, as long as the net external force acting on the object is known. In these cases, the acceleration of the object may vary, but the law still holds true that the acceleration is directly proportional to the net force. This can be seen in the motion of a pendulum, where the acceleration changes at different points in its swing, but the force acting on the pendulum remains constant.