What is the purpose of the NO CHIP pin on a 7 segment display?

• Thread starter phlegmy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pin
In summary: I'm not sure if it's just a one off or if they're all like that, but it's something to keep in mind if you're looking to use a NC pin on a 7 segment display.
phlegmy
7 seg display NO CHIP pin??

hello wise ones.
I've recently taken delivery of some 7 segment led displays
for a small project, (i'm brand new at building electronic ccts)
3 of theese single digit displays will be driven from a microcontroller

the 7 segment display units have a pin labelled "no chip"
from googling all i can figure out is that it likely to be a "no chip select pin"

i will experiment of course to figure this out but forewarned is fore armed!

can i use the "no chip" pin to strobe the displays?
i had planned on using some small transistors to
connect the common cathode of each digit, to ground ,in turn.
this would achive the strobing, but is there some way to make use of this
"no chip pin"?

Any insights appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org

"NO CHIP" doesn't really make sense. Could it be a NC pin, meaning "NO CONNECTION" ?

Have a look at this page:
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...&gbv=2&aq=3&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=7+segment+display

which gives a lot of pinouts for 7 segment displays and how to connect them.

None of them seem to have a NC pin, but it is very common to have a pin like this on an integrated circuit. It just means you should not use this pin for anything as it may have an internal connection that is not part of the output of the chip, or it may just go nowhere.

I know its been a while, but for the sake of anyone else who gets here, the "no chip" pin seems to have been a dummy, i simply clipped it off before soldering the displays to my circuit.

vk6kro said:
"NO CHIP" doesn't really make sense. Could it be a NC pin, meaning "NO CONNECTION" ?

Have a look at this page:
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...&gbv=2&aq=3&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=7+segment+display

which gives a lot of pinouts for 7 segment displays and how to connect them.

None of them seem to have a NC pin, but it is very common to have a pin like this on an integrated circuit. It just means you should not use this pin for anything as it may have an internal connection that is not part of the output of the chip, or it may just go nowhere.
I think MAN72 displays (or something like that) that have 14 pins have a few NC pins. The ones I got from school have a gap where the NC pin would be.

1. What is a 7-segment display NO CHIP pin?

A 7-segment display NO CHIP pin is a type of pin used in 7-segment displays to control the display of numbers and characters.

2. How does a 7-segment display NO CHIP pin work?

A 7-segment display NO CHIP pin works by receiving electrical signals from a microcontroller or other device. These signals control which segments of the display are turned on or off, allowing for the display of different numbers and characters.

3. What is the purpose of a 7-segment display NO CHIP pin?

The purpose of a 7-segment display NO CHIP pin is to provide a simple and efficient way to display numbers and characters. It is often used in electronic devices such as calculators, digital clocks, and measurement instruments.

4. How many pins does a 7-segment display NO CHIP have?

A 7-segment display NO CHIP typically has 7 pins, one for each segment of the display. However, some displays may have an additional 8th pin for a decimal point.

5. Can a 7-segment display NO CHIP pin be controlled by a microcontroller?

Yes, a 7-segment display NO CHIP pin can be controlled by a microcontroller. The microcontroller sends signals to the pins of the display, determining which segments are turned on or off to display the desired number or character.