Find charge distribution of a point charge at origin.

In summary, the author is explaining the problem with finding charge distribution of a point charge at origin. He states that ρ is zero except at the origin, and E can't be. He also states that without stop and think, he just applied the divergence and got the wrong answer.
yungman
This is part of the problem in the exercise to find charge distribution of a point charge at origin. I know [tex]\nabla \cdot \vec E = \frac {\rho}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

[tex] \rho = \epislon \nabla \cdot \hat r \frac q {4\pi\epsilon_0 r^2} \;\hbox { where } \vec r = \hat x x + \hat y y + \hat z z [/tex]

[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec E = \frac q {4\pi\epsilon_0}\left [ \frac {\partial }{\partial x} \left ( \frac x {r^3} \right ) + \frac {\partial }{\partial y} \left ( \frac y {r^3} \right ) + \frac {\partial }{\partial z} \left ( \frac z {r^3} \right ) \right ] [/tex]

[tex]\frac {\partial }{\partial x} \left ( \frac x {r^3} \right ) = \frac { r^3 - x d(r^3)}{r^6} = \frac { r^3 - 6x^2 r^2}{r^6} = \frac 1 {r^3}-\frac {6x^2}{r^4} [/tex]

The other two can be worked out as above for y and z.

[tex]\Rightarrow\; \nabla \cdot \vec E = \frac q {4\pi\epsilon_0} \left [ \frac 3 {r^3} - \frac {6 (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)}{r^4} \right ] = \frac q {4\pi\epsilon_0} \left [ \frac 3 {r^3} - \frac 6 {r^2} \right ] = \frac {\rho}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

[tex] \rho = \frac q {4\pi} \left [ \frac 3 {r^3} - \frac 6 {r^2} \right ] [/tex]

The book gave:

[tex]\rho = q \delta^3(\vec r) [/tex]

I don't know what is [itex]\delta[/itex] in the book!

Can anyone verify my work?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi yungman! :smile:

sorry, that's completely wrong :redface:

ρ is zero except at the origin, where it's infinite

δ is the Dirac delta function (strictly, a distribution rather than a function, since it only "lives" inside integrals), which you'll have to look up :wink:

Last edited:
tiny-tim said:

both ρ and E are zero except at the origin, where they're infinite

[tex]\rho[/tex] is zero except at the origin, but E can't be. Surely it must be the E-field of a point charge, [tex]E=\frac{q}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r^2}[/tex] ?

oops!

oops! I've no idea why i wrote that! :redface:

(i've edited it now)

thanks for the correction, kloptok :smile:

tiny-tim said:

sorry, that's completely wrong :redface:

ρ is zero except at the origin, where it's infinite

δ is the Dirac delta function (strictly, a distribution rather than a function, since it only "lives" inside integrals), which you'll have to look up :wink:

Hi Tiny Tim

I don't know what I am thinking, I should know δ! And I should know that. This is a problem in Gauge Transformation and I never even stop and think! The problem started out as [tex] \vec A = \frac { qt}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r^2} \hat r [/tex]

And asked to find E, B, J and current distribution. I just blindly go through the steps and solve the problem without stop and think! .

How can I avoid making the same mistake because without stop and think, I just apply the divergence and get the wrong answer!??

Thanks! Today is my 58th birthday and I sure acted stupidly!

1. What is a point charge at the origin?

A point charge at the origin is a hypothetical charge that is located at a specific point in space with no dimensions. It is often used as a reference point in calculations and represents a single positive or negative charge.

2. How do you find the charge distribution of a point charge at the origin?

The charge distribution of a point charge at the origin can be found by using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By using this law, the electric field and potential at any point around the point charge can be calculated.

3. What factors affect the charge distribution of a point charge at the origin?

The charge distribution of a point charge at the origin is affected by the magnitude of the charge, the distance from the point charge, and the surrounding medium. The medium can impact the distribution of the charge due to its dielectric constant, which affects the strength of the electric field.

4. Can the charge distribution of a point charge at the origin be negative?

Yes, the charge distribution of a point charge at the origin can be negative if the point charge itself is negative. This means that the electric field around the point charge will point towards it, instead of away from it like it would for a positive charge.

5. How is the charge distribution of a point charge at the origin related to other charges in the surrounding space?

The charge distribution of a point charge at the origin can affect the electric field and potential at other points in space. Other charges in the surrounding space can also affect the distribution of the point charge, as their electric fields can interact and change the overall distribution of charge in the area.