Can a nuclear reaction violate the first law of classical thermodynamics?

• Thread starter Felgar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reference
In summary, an expert argues that nuclear reactions break the first law of classical thermodynamics, but because mass-energy is now conserved together, it is not a violation.
Felgar
Hi Guys,

I'm in an argument with someone on another forum (car forum no less) and he refuses to accept that nuclear reactions break the first law of classical thermodynamics. I'm only trying to show him that before energy and mass were shown to be interchangeable, the laws of conservation energy and of conservation of mass is the classical sense are violated by nuclear/radioactive processes. However, it's so commonly accepted now that mass-energy is conserved together rather than seperately, I can't find a valid and credible source that distinguishes between classical and more modern thermodynamics.

Can anyone help with a link? Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not aware of nuclear reactions breaking any laws of thermodynamics.

Just that taken separate from each other, the laws of conservation of mass and conservation of energy don't hold, because we'll lose mass in a nuclear reaction. Not until the revelation that e=mc^2 and the combination of the two laws do we actually get a conservation law that is not broken.

quoted from
Relativity, the Special and General Theory
by Dr. Einstein

"Before the advent of relativity, physics recognized two conservation laws of fundamental importance, namely the law of conservation of energy and the law of the conservation of mass; these laws appeared to be quite independent of each other.
By means of the theory of relativity they have been united into one law... "

You shouldn't see this as a violation of the 1st law of thermodynamics, you should rather consider that in the first law, energy can now (since Einstein) include what is available through E = mc^2 in the case where you have nuclear reactions.

Alrighty then... No wonder it was hard to find that reference. Heh.

And yeah, obviously that's what makes the most sense. But the argument was about the classical definition which I was arguing wuold have to be observed in the strictest sense. But yeah, whatever.

Last edited:

1. What is the importance of using credible references in scientific research?

Credible references are essential in scientific research because they provide evidence and support for your claims and conclusions. They also show that you have conducted thorough research and considered the work of other experts in the field, making your research more valid and trustworthy.

2. How can I determine if a reference is credible?

To determine if a reference is credible, you should consider the author's credentials and expertise in the subject matter, the publication date and relevance of the source, and whether it has been peer-reviewed. Additionally, you can check for bias or conflicts of interest that may affect the credibility of the source.

3. Can I use online sources as credible references?

Yes, online sources can be credible references, but it is important to carefully evaluate them. Consider the author, publisher, and date of publication, as well as the reliability of the website or platform. It's also a good idea to corroborate the information from multiple sources.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when citing references in scientific research?

One common mistake is not citing sources properly or failing to include all necessary information. It's also important to avoid using biased sources or relying too heavily on a single source. Additionally, make sure to use reputable sources that are relevant to your research topic.

5. Are there any consequences for not using credible references in scientific research?

Using non-credible references in scientific research can lead to your work being deemed invalid or unreliable. This can damage your credibility as a scientist and may impact the acceptance and impact of your research. Additionally, it may result in accusations of plagiarism if you fail to properly cite your sources.