Looking for a more constructive way to waste my time.

• Thread starter Willowz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: Try the technology section of the http://www.instructables.com/tag/type-id/category-technology/" site. There are lots of step-by-step projects for different levels of expertise.
Willowz
Usually when I get bored I play some games and roam around youtube or look around PF. I'm interested in engineering and am wondering if there is a more constructive way to waste time that would be oriented towards engineering? I wish I had the interest to take motors apart and understand each component and such. Is there anything you would recommend from your experience?

Physics news on Phys.org
Willowz said:
Usually when I get bored I play some games and roam around youtube or look around PF. I'm interested in engineering and am wondering if there is a more constructive way to waste time that would be oriented towards engineering? I wish I had the interest to take motors apart and understand each component and such. Is there anything you would recommend from your experience?

these two statements don't jibe

Proton Soup said:
these two statements don't jibe
Well I don't think engineering actually means taking motors apart. But, doing so sure would be a more 'constructive' way at wasting time.

Last edited:
Willowz said:
Well I don't think engineering actually means taking motors apart.

it's often considered a common trait of those that enter, tho. taking things apart is an effort to learn how they work. putting them back together is often even more challenging. dead equipment can also be a good source of cheap parts for any projects you might want to build.

--

edit - do you have interest in fixing things ?

Last edited:
Proton Soup said:
edit - do you have interest in fixing things ?
Oh yes, very much so. I really like fixing things if I know how to.

The above should read: I really like fixing things even if I don't know how to. :(

Willowz said:
Oh yes, very much so. I really like fixing things if I know how to.

The above should read: I really like fixing things even if I don't know how to. :(

ah, i see. so you need that sense of purpose when disassembling things. maybe all you need is a big pile of broken stuff. :wink:

build shorty's 18" at pdracer.com

It's just a bunch of square cuts. The fun part is the sailing

Read an engineering book.

Currently a friend of mine is attempting to engage himself with simple mechanical projects. He said he found a plan for building a boiler out of a soup can. He wants to try this and then try building it on a larger scale. I think he also wants to build a steam engine and maybe make a steam powered generator.

Play FoldIt, a fun game about protein folding (it's more like a spatial puzzle than anything)? Bonus points because solved "puzzles" are actually scientifically useful.

1. What are some productive ways to spend my free time?

Some productive ways to spend free time include learning a new skill or language, volunteering, exercising, reading, or pursuing a hobby or passion.

2. How can I turn my time-wasting habits into more constructive ones?

One way to turn time-wasting habits into more constructive ones is to set specific goals and priorities for your free time. This can help you focus on activities that align with your values and bring fulfillment.

3. Is it okay to take breaks and relax during my free time?

Yes, it is important to take breaks and relax during free time, as this can help improve productivity and prevent burnout. However, it is also important to balance leisure activities with productive ones.

4. How can I make sure I am not wasting my time on unproductive activities?

One way to ensure you are not wasting time on unproductive activities is to track how you spend your time. This can help you identify patterns and make adjustments to prioritize more constructive activities.

5. Are there any apps or tools that can help me manage my free time more effectively?

Yes, there are many apps and tools available that can help you manage your free time more effectively. Some options include productivity planners, goal-setting apps, and time-tracking tools.