Frequency in an oscilloscope simulation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding frequency, specifically in regards to a simulation. The person shares a picture of the simulation and clarifies that they only want to find frequency, and not the other two confirmed variables. They calculate the frequency based on the image and realize their mistake. The conversation ends with the person thanking another for helping them arrive at the correct answer.
brekfast
Every time I try to find frequency on this problem I get the same answer - and according to the simulation it is incorrect.

Here's a picture of the simulation.

Please note: I am just trying to find frequency. I know the other two variables (.6A and 6V ; these are confirmed correct)

[PLAIN]http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/100/screenshot20110724at104.png

Looking at this image, I see only 2 and 1/4 cycles.

Frequency is, essentially, cycles per second (1/s) and period is the time it takes to complete a single cycle.

Based on the image I attached, I see 2 and 1/4 cycles (9/4) over a time of .5e-6 s. This is the same as dividing (9/4) by (.5e-6).

(9/4) / (.5e-6) = 4.5e6 s^(-1)

I do not understand where my mistake is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The time scale setting for an oscillisope is usually in terms of time/division. 0.5e-6 s would correspond to the distance between vertical lines.

Last edited:
Derp! I knew that but I guess I had a brainfart.

Thanks! I got the correct answer (5e5 s^-1)

One period (minimum to minimum) is 4 units on the time scale. The oscilloscope shows the length of such units, it is 0.5 x 10-6 s.

ehild

It is important to note that in order to accurately measure frequency on an oscilloscope, the signal being measured must be a periodic waveform. If the waveform is not periodic, it may appear to have a certain frequency, but it is actually a combination of multiple frequencies.

In this case, it is possible that the signal being measured is not a pure sine wave, but rather a combination of different frequencies. This could explain why you are getting the same frequency every time, even though it may not be the correct frequency.

I would recommend checking the signal being measured and making sure it is a pure sine wave. If it is not, you may need to use other techniques, such as Fourier analysis, to accurately determine the frequency. Additionally, make sure you are using the correct settings and units on the oscilloscope to measure frequency.

It is also possible that there could be an error in the simulation itself. I would suggest double checking the simulation and its settings to ensure accuracy.

In summary, to accurately measure frequency on an oscilloscope, make sure the signal being measured is a pure sine wave and double check all settings and units. If you are still getting the same incorrect frequency, there may be an error in the simulation or other factors to consider.

What is an oscilloscope simulation?

An oscilloscope simulation is a virtual representation of an oscilloscope, which is a scientific instrument used to display and analyze electronic signals graphically.

How does an oscilloscope simulation work?

An oscilloscope simulation works by taking an input signal, usually an electrical current, and displaying it as a waveform on a screen. The simulation uses algorithms and mathematical calculations to accurately represent the signal.

What is frequency in an oscilloscope simulation?

In an oscilloscope simulation, frequency refers to the number of times a waveform repeats itself in one second. It is usually measured in hertz (Hz) and represents the rate at which the signal is changing.

How is frequency measured in an oscilloscope simulation?

Frequency is measured in an oscilloscope simulation by counting the number of complete cycles of the waveform in one second. This can also be done by measuring the time between two peaks of the waveform and using the formula frequency = 1/time.

What is the importance of frequency in an oscilloscope simulation?

Frequency is an important factor in an oscilloscope simulation as it can provide valuable information about the signal being analyzed. It can help determine the type of signal, its source, and any abnormalities or distortions in the signal. Frequency also plays a crucial role in the design and testing of electronic circuits and systems.