Origin of Numbers: Pythagorean Theory

In summary: The next is 2 and so on. It's like building a house. All the different rooms, hallways, and balconies are built by adding on to 1. So what does "unity" have to do with it? Presumably, if you can't divide something (ie it's not a number), then it's not part of the set of numbers, and so is not unity.
arivero
Gold Member
In the "origin of zero" thread, I saw the following remark:
strid said:
the thought I'm playing with for the moment is that every rational number has its origin in 1.

I had heard a different story, in a pythagorean mood: The first thing we can say is if a number, a magnitude, a rythm, a length, etc is odd or even, ie if it can be divided or not in equal parts. From this we get the smallest odd quantity, 3, and the smallest even, 2. The unity is not got because it can not be divided after all. So after getting the odd and even numbers, we get the unity, as the difference 3-2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean mathematical origin or philosophical origin?

If you can try and find a book called 'Surreal Numbers' by Donald Knuth. Very enlightening about the importance of what some refer to as 'trivial' properties of numbers.

or cultural origin, or geographical origin, or temporal origin?

arivero said:
I had heard a different story, in a pythagorean mood: The first thing we can say is if a number, a magnitude, a rythm, a length, etc is odd or even, ie if it can be divided or not in equal parts. From this we get the smallest odd quantity, 3, and the smallest even, 2. The unity is not got because it can not be divided after all. So after getting the odd and even numbers, we get the unity, as the difference 3-2.
How do you define the smallest even number without using the concept of unity? Wouldn't the smallest even number be the even number whose parts cannot be further divided (i.e. whose parts are unity)? The concept of the smallest even number would then be derived from the concept of unity.
Also, if an even number is a number which can be divided into equal parts, and an odd number is a number which is not even, then unity is an odd number, as it cannot be divided into equal parts. I can't think of a definition of oddness which excludes unity without using it. Let x and y be individual variables ranging over set S. Say x is even if there exists some y such that (y + y = x). How will you define oddness?

I would define "smallest even number" (of a given set of integers) as the even number, x, in the set such that if y is any even number in the set, then x is less than or equal to y. That doesn't use "unity".

The problem I have with arivero's "...ie if it can be divided or not in equal parts. From this we get the smallest odd quantity, 3, and the smallest even, 2. The unity is not got because it can not be divided after all." (I assume he meant "at all") is that saying "a number is odd if it cannot be divided in equal parts" certainly does apply to 1. If it cannot be divided at all, then it certainly cannot be divided in equal parts and so is odd.

Math is devised into quantities...and from a psychological standpoint the first quantity you recognize is 1.

1. What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is a mathematical principle that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides.

2. Who discovered the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is named after the ancient Greek mathematician Pythagoras, who is credited with discovering it. However, there is evidence that the theorem was known to other ancient civilizations such as the Babylonians and the Chinese.

3. What is the significance of the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is significant because it allows us to calculate the length of any side of a right triangle given the lengths of the other two sides. It is also a fundamental principle in geometry and has numerous real-world applications in fields such as architecture, engineering, and physics.

4. How is the Pythagorean theorem related to the origin of numbers?

The Pythagorean theorem is related to the origin of numbers because it is based on the concept of squares and square roots, which are fundamental to the study of numbers. It also played a role in the discovery of irrational numbers, as the length of the hypotenuse in some right triangles cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers.

5. Can the Pythagorean theorem be proven?

Yes, the Pythagorean theorem can be proven using various methods, such as algebraic, geometric, and trigonometric proofs. The most commonly used proof is the geometric proof, which involves drawing squares on each side of a right triangle and showing that the areas of the squares follow the same relationship as the sides of the triangle.