How to derive the derivative formula of arctan x?

In summary, to derive the formula for the derivative of arctan x, we can use the inverse function theorem and a right triangle to get the result quickly. Using implicit differentiation, we can find that dy/dx = 1/(1+x^2), which is the formula for the derivative of arctan x.
dnt

Homework Statement

basically what the topic states - derive the formula for the derivative of arctan x.

Homework Equations

d/dx (arctan x) = 1/(1+x^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

strange question because we already know the answer. but I am not sure how to start this.

i know arctan x = y

therefore tan y = x

but what can i do with this? do i need to draw a right triangle and label all the sides? can someone help me get started? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the Inverse function theorem? Using it and a right triangle (as you said), gives the result pretty quickly.

You could indeed draw a triangle knowing that the tangent is equal to x. In a triangle, if you're given that the tangent of some angle y is equal to x, what do you know about the lengths of the sides?

the opposite would be x, the adjacent is 1 and the hypoteneuse is the square root of 1+x^2

after that I am stuck.

You got tan y = x, you want dy/dx, so use implicit differentiation.

[tex]y=arctan x[/tex]

Therefore [tex]x=\tan y[/tex], Quite easy to see.

[tex]\frac{dx}{dy}=\sec^2 y[/tex]

Using the Pythagorean Identity [itex]\sec^2 y = \tan^2 y +1[/itex] we can get this: [tex]\frac{dx}{dy}=\tan^2 y +1[/tex].

Flip the fraction since we want dy/dx, not dx/dy. And also, as seen on my second line tan y=x, so tan^2 y = x^2.

Thats how we get

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{x^2+1}[/tex]

Likes Mahathepp
[tex] y=\arctan x [/tex]

[tex] \tan y =x [/tex]

[tex] \frac{d}{dx}\tan y= \frac{1}{\cos^{2}y}\frac{dy}{dx}=1 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} =\cos^{2} y=\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^{2}}}\right)^{2}=\frac{1}{1+x^{2}} [/tex]

1. What is the derivative formula of arctan x?

The derivative formula of arctan x is 1/(1+x^2).

2. How is the derivative formula of arctan x derived?

The derivative formula of arctan x is derived using the quotient rule. The quotient rule states that the derivative of a quotient is equal to the denominator multiplied by the derivative of the numerator minus the numerator multiplied by the derivative of the denominator, all divided by the square of the denominator.

3. What is the proof of the derivative formula of arctan x?

The proof of the derivative formula of arctan x involves using the definition of the derivative and the identity tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x). By using algebraic manipulation and the quotient rule, the derivative formula of arctan x can be derived.

4. Can the derivative formula of arctan x be applied to any value of x?

Yes, the derivative formula of arctan x can be applied to any real number value of x. However, it is important to note that the domain of arctan x is restricted to (-pi/2, pi/2), so the formula may not be applicable for values outside of this range.

5. Are there any alternative ways to derive the derivative formula of arctan x?

Yes, there are alternative ways to derive the derivative formula of arctan x. One method is using the chain rule and the inverse trigonometric identity arctan(x) = arccot(1/x). Another method is using the power series expansion of arctan x and taking the derivative term by term.