Getting a Master's in science or engineering with a business degree

In summary: Maybe you can shed some light on this for me. nanotechnology experts' backgrounds?I think that it is helpful because you have a strong foundation in engineering and physics. This can help you understand the nanotechnology research that you are doing and the physics behind it.A few nanotechnology experts I know have backgrounds in engineering and physics.
Abu-Adel
Greetings all...I hope everyone is doing fine :)

I was wondering if there are any universities in the USA or Europe that accept people with a BS in business administration into a science, or an engineering, graduate program.

Physics news on Phys.org
The actual major doesn't matter as much as your coursework. To get into a graduate program in science or engineering, you need a background - the courses start at an advanced level and assume that you spent 4 years studying the basics. If you didn't, you'll have some catching up to do before you bother applying. Figure out which degree you're interested in and find a school that offers it - and look up their admissions requirements.

Thanks for the reply eri :)

Well I have kind of a high aim, I want get into nanotechnology :approve: I know it's hard but hey, it's worth a shot to see if it's possible.

I'm thinking that I should continue my Master's in chemistry, mechanical, or materials engineering to be good enough for a PhD program in nanotechnology.

As for coursework, that's out of the question now :D. I have 3 terms left and I have exhausted all my electives on history courses :redface: one of them is a history of science course :approve:

What would a university with a science or engineering graduate program do to someone in my situation if it accepts them? Would they require me to take certain tests? Would it require me to take some undergraduate courses before I go deep?

You're making the leap from a non-science degree into a science/engineering graduate program. Given that it is highly unlikely you have studied anything required for a science degree pre-reqs, you would most likely have to take all those 2-4th year science/engine classes before you can start.

One way or another, you're going to have to catch up before you can start taking graduate-level classes. You could take classes as a non-degree student somewhere and pay by the credit. You might be able to convince a grad program to take you in, but you'd have to spend at least the first year, if not more, taking undergraduate classes - and that will be expensive, since they are unlikely to offer you a teaching or research assistantship with no background in the field.

The one program I had heard about earlier here is Boston University's LEAP program: http://www.bu.edu/eng/leap/.

Again, not cheap, but...

Defennder

I guess I didn't give you all complete information. I have some engineering background. I won't go into detail. But in math, I have got up to Diff. Eq., and I have passed physics and chemistry.

eri

Thank you very much, you give a lot of important points :)

TMFKAN64

Thank you very much! I checked out the site and it was simply wonderful! Does anyone else know of any similar programs?

Abu-Adel said:
I guess I didn't give you all complete information. I have some engineering background. I won't go into detail. But in math, I have got up to Diff. Eq., and I have passed physics and chemistry.

That's not an adequate background for graduate study. You will have to catch up somehow.

Vanadium 50 said:
That's not an adequate background for graduate study. You will have to catch up somehow.

I think the LEAP program that TMFKAN64 suggested in his post will be very good...check out their program on the link..

http://www.bu.edu/eng/leap/

Abu-Adel said:
I think the LEAP program that TMFKAN64 suggested in his post will be very good...check out their program on the link..

If you want to study for a PhD in nanotechnology, then it will most likely benefit you to obtain a masters degree in either physics or chemistry (or some combination of the two). That course you link to appears to be mainly focused on engineering...

Phase I of LEAP consists of a core set of about ten to twelve disclipline-related undergraduate courses. Credit is given for prior equivalent coursework. These courses do not lead to a BS degree , but will qualify you for entry into the graduate phase of LEAP.

Phase 1 is pretty much the same as just getting your Bachelors in Engineering. If I were why not just go for your Bachelors in Engineering altogether first, after that you'll have a better chance getting into Graduate school in Engineering?

To be honest, this sounds strange!

I mean it is even nearly impossible to get a Master degree in mechanical engineering with a Bachelor in physics.

And now you come up with business bachelor...

cristo said:
If you want to study for a PhD in nanotechnology, then it will most likely benefit you to obtain a masters degree in either physics or chemistry (or some combination of the two). That course you link to appears to be mainly focused on engineering...

I have read some nanotechnology experts' CV's and found that many of them also come from engineering backgrounds.

Maybe you can shed some light on another alternative, can someone get a Master's in physics or chemistry with a BS in business?

Hippo said:
Phase 1 is pretty much the same as just getting your Bachelors in Engineering. If I were why not just go for your Bachelors in Engineering altogether first, after that you'll have a better chance getting into Graduate school in Engineering?

Actually it's shorter and doesn't include English and elective courses.

Future-boy said:
To be honest, this sounds strange!

I mean it is even nearly impossible to get a Master degree in mechanical engineering with a Bachelor in physics.

And now you come up with business bachelor...

I know it's strange. Have you ever heard of Dr. Klaus Schwab? He's the founder of the World Economic Forum. He has a Master's in Public Administration, a PhD in Mechanical Engineering, and another PhD in Economics. So, I'm guessing it can be done.

We keep trying to tell you the same thing, and I am not sure why you aren't buying it.

Graduate school builds on what they teach you in your undergraduate years. You either need an undergraduate degree, or you need to invest the time to catch up and learn what you would have getting an undergraduate degree.

Vanadium 50 said:
We keep trying to tell you the same thing, and I am not sure why you aren't buying it.

Graduate school builds on what they teach you in your undergraduate years. You either need an undergraduate degree, or you need to invest the time to catch up and learn what you would have getting an undergraduate degree.

Bro, I think we already have that down. Do you care to add anything else? :rolleyes:

Abu-Adel said:
Bro, I think we already have that down. Do you care to add anything else? :rolleyes:

Where do you plan to Apply and Study? And also, have you considered other places where you can find the knowledge besides Europe and America?

There is also Russia, Canada, Mexico, China, Taiwan, Singapore, maybe even Japan?

Last edited:
Hippo said:
Where do you plan to Apply and Study? And also, have you considered other places where you can find the knowledge besides Europe and America?

There is also Russia, Canada, Mexico, China, Taiwan, Singapore, maybe even Japan?

Well I would like to study in a university where the language of instruction is English. As far as I know, that's available in NORTH America, including Canada, and Europe. I guess Singapore would have that too...right? Don't know about the other countries you've mentioned..

1. What is the benefit of getting a Master's in science or engineering with a business degree?

One of the main benefits of this combination is that it prepares individuals for leadership roles in industries where scientific or technical knowledge is crucial but business expertise is also necessary. This can open up job opportunities in a variety of fields, including technology, healthcare, and energy.

2. Can I specialize in a specific area within the science or engineering field while also obtaining a business degree?

Yes, many universities offer specialized programs that allow students to focus on a particular area of science or engineering while also completing coursework in business. This can be a great way to develop a unique skill set that is in high demand in today's job market.

3. Is it necessary to have a science or engineering background to pursue a Master's in science or engineering with a business degree?

No, some programs may have prerequisites in certain science or math courses, but a background in business or another field is also valuable. Many individuals with non-technical backgrounds choose to pursue this type of degree to gain a deeper understanding of the scientific or engineering industry.

4. Will I be able to apply my business knowledge to my work in the science or engineering field?

Yes, having a business degree can give you a unique perspective and skill set that can be applied to various aspects of the science or engineering industry. This can include budget management, project management, and strategic planning, among others.

5. How does a Master's in science or engineering with a business degree differ from a traditional MBA program?

A Master's in science or engineering with a business degree is more focused on the intersection of science or engineering and business, while a traditional MBA program covers a broader range of business topics. Additionally, this type of degree may have more technical coursework and may be more applicable to specific industries or roles.