Is tension really just a matter of perspective?

• Thread starter serverxeon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary: For example, when we say "the rope is under tension", we mean that the gravitational force is not the only force acting on the rope. The tension in the rope is the result of the other forces acting on it.
serverxeon
I am asked by my student this seemingly easy question.

I searched on the net on got two answers.
1) tension is the pulling force exerted by a string, cable, chain, or similar solid object on another object
2) tension is the pulling force in a material under stretchingPicture a rope suspending a weight...

My personal opinion is that,
Tension is defined as the 'Force on rope by weight'
and because 'Force on weight by rope' equals numerically to 'Force on rope by weight', we loosely call both 'tension'.

Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The language on this is confusing; but I think '2' is the better definition. Tension is not the force on the rope by the weight---thats just gravitational force. Tension is the resulting internal force in the rope, and from the rope onto the weight.

It sounds like you're not a native english speaker, but people often use the phrase 'under tension' (e.g. the rope/beam/table is 'under tension') --- which means that it is in a situation in which there is an internal tension force. In this way, you could say that 'the rope is under tension from the weight'---but this means something slightly different, it means that 'the rope is under tension' because of the weight. The tension force itself would be the reactionary force acting on the weight.

Tension is caused by intermolecular forces which are fundamentally electrodynamic in nature. When you pull on something that is bolted down, it pulls back (as opposed to shattering to a million pieces) because the of the material's bonds. This pulling back is what we call tension. Whether the original pull is caused by the object's own weight or the object's own weight plus something else is irrelevant. All the object sees is some total external force pulling it apart and it resists. For instance, guitar strings are pulled apart by the bridge and tightened screws at top, and they pull pack (instead of snapping or stretching indefinitely) on the bridge and screws. But the weight of the guitar strings does not have much role in creating the initial pulling because they are so light. So the word "tension" actually means three things going on all at once in a given system:
1) The original external force pulling an object apart (You provide tension to the guitar strings)
2) The internal state of an object when pulled (The guitar string are under tension)
3) The response force the object supplies externally against the original force (The guitar string exerts tension on the guitar).

These multiple meanings can lead to confusion. As usual, its best to use more math and diagrams, and less words to make clear what forces exist in a given problem.

I also didn't know how the forces will look like last time. Imagine a box connected to another box by a rope. There will be a backwards on the box from the rope (in front) and a forward force on the box at the back. These two forces are equal and opposite.

serverxeon said:
I am asked by my student this seemingly easy question.

I searched on the net on got two answers.
1) tension is the pulling force exerted by a string, cable, chain, or similar solid object on another object
2) tension is the pulling force in a material under stretching

Picture a rope suspending a weight...

My personal opinion is that,
Tension is defined as the 'Force on rope by weight'
and because 'Force on weight by rope' equals numerically to 'Force on rope by weight', we loosely call both 'tension'.

Is that right?
Tension, of course, results from a whole lot of competing electromagnetic and gravitational forces. It is a macroscopic concept. It does not really exist at the atomic level: if you are looking at those forces at the atomic level, then you are not going to need to bother about "tension".

I would say that tension is what is left over you have accounted for the net force ie. the mass x net acceleration. In the interaction of macroscopic bodies you have the net force on each body + a lot of tensions within the bodies (including bodies that connect other bodies such as ropes).

Rope tension can be confusing because it is necessarily the result of (at least) two bodies applying force to each other, and very often the other body is ignored. If you are looking only at one body and the tension force of the rope, you are only looking at part of the picture.

AM

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is created when an object is pulled in opposite directions. It is a result of the internal resistance of an object to external forces.

2. How is tension different from compression?

Tension and compression are both types of forces that act on objects, but they are opposite in direction. Tension pulls an object apart, while compression pushes an object together.

3. What causes tension?

Tension is caused by external forces acting on an object, such as pulling, stretching, or twisting. It can also be caused by the weight of an object hanging from a support, creating tension in the support.

4. What are some real-world examples of tension?

Some common examples of tension include the tension in a rope or cable used for lifting heavy objects, the tension in guitar strings that produces sound, and the tension in muscles that allow us to move our bodies.

5. How is tension measured?

Tension is typically measured in units of force, such as newtons (N) or pounds (lbs). It can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as a spring scale or a dynamometer, which can measure the amount of force required to stretch or pull an object.