Fridge stocked or unstocked - which uses less energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a stocked or unstocked fridge uses less energy to maintain the same temperature when the door is opened and closed the same amount of times. One perspective suggests that an empty fridge would use less energy due to a greater volume of air exchange when the door is opened, while another perspective suggests that a full fridge would use less energy due to a higher heat capacity and less air circulation internally. Ultimately, the consensus is that it depends on the specific fridge and its design, and a test should be conducted to determine the most accurate answer.
engineer888
Hi all,

Bit of a random question but the answer is killing me.
Does a fridge use less energy when it is stocked or unstocked?
For example, you have one fridge full of produce and another fridge completely empty. You open and close the door of both fridges the same amount of times over the course of say a week, which uses less energy to maintain the same temperature inside?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
engineer888 said:
Hi all,

Bit of a random question but the answer is killing me.
Does a fridge use less energy when it is stocked or unstocked?
For example, you have one fridge full of produce and another fridge completely empty. You open and close the door of both fridges the same amount of times over the course of say a week, which uses less energy to maintain the same temperature inside?

Thanks

Which one do you think uses less energy, and why?

eng888: I have not tested this, but let me offer you this: The refrigeration is to remove the heat infiltration through the thermal envelope. On this point, the contents offer no change, either way. HOWEVER, when the door is opened, a massive air exchange takes place, when the envelope is reestablished, the warm air just introduced must be cooled, adding to the heat gain of the system. That being said, there is a greater volume of air exchanged in the empty refrigerator. So, if I had to guess, I'd put my chips on the empty unit. Monitoring energy use, empty vs full. with the same ambient conditions of temp and light exposure should yield you result.

Burnerjack said:
eng888: I have not tested this, but let me offer you this: The refrigeration is to remove the heat infiltration through the thermal envelope. On this point, the contents offer no change, either way. HOWEVER, when the door is opened, a massive air exchange takes place, when the envelope is reestablished, the warm air just introduced must be cooled, adding to the heat gain of the system. That being said, there is a greater volume of air exchanged in the empty refrigerator. So, if I had to guess, I'd put my chips on the empty unit. Monitoring energy use, empty vs full. with the same ambient conditions of temp and light exposure should yield you result.

Thats a good line of thinking. But I think otherwise...

I think the heat capacity of a full fridge is much higher. When you move into a new place and open the fridge, sometimes you wonder if its working because it feels warm as soon as you open it. Similarly, I believe, it would cool down quickly because there is only air to cool down.

A full fridge on the other hand feels cool for a while while open. This is because the food and water continue to absorb heat from the air. Because the food/water/air combo absorbs more heat while open than the empty fridge's air alone it will need to work more to expel that heat once closed.

Modus, after further review, without testing, I must concur. Greater heat absorption with the higher specific density. Good job! Not only greater density but I would suspect greater surface area for said exposure.

A fridge full of food will allow less air circulation internally. This should reduce the rate of heat loss because the outer, slightly warmer, layers of air in the cavity will not reach the core and the thermostat so the compressor should work less frequently. Another way to look at this could be in terms of temperature gradient which will be less near the walls - hence less heat transfer.

A full fridge also has more stored energy (is this the correct way to describe it?), and more surface area. This means that it can potentially lose more energy than an empty fridge. An empty fridge will only lose the energy contained in its cold air. A full fridge can lose much more than that, depending on how long the door is open and how effectively the heat convents from its contents to the outside air. I would therefore say that 1) it depends, and 2) probably a full fridge will cost more to maintain. On review, I think this is inline with Modus's thinking.

On the other hand, an empty fridge allows (maybe) for more losses when the fridge is closed, since the air circulates more freely. These two factors, and probably more, point to an answer of "it depends".

Perhaps a test should be conducted.

When the fridge is switched off, it will stay cold (in the core of the food) longer when full than when it's empty, even with the simplest model. ( more heat energy to disperse from inside with the same temperature difference).
In most designs (with motor running), the heat loss will be less if the fridge is full of food because the cooling panel is at the back and most heat is lost via the door. The intervening food is a thermal barrier.
But it would be possible to arrange for a design with a circulating fan which could have the effect of directing its cooling air right onto the door if the cavity was filled in an unfortunate way.

PS I like the concept of the 'negative Energy' that's stored in a fridge. A bit dodgy, perhaps but it has legs.

1. How does stocking or unstocking my fridge affect its energy usage?

Stocking your fridge with food and beverages actually helps to maintain its temperature more efficiently. When the fridge is full, there is less empty space for cold air to escape and warm air to enter, reducing the amount of work the fridge's compressor has to do to maintain its temperature. This ultimately leads to less energy usage.

2. Does the type or amount of food in my fridge affect its energy usage?

The type of food in your fridge can affect its energy usage, as some foods require more energy to cool and maintain than others. For example, drinks and liquids tend to be easier to cool than solid foods. Additionally, the amount of food in your fridge also plays a role. A full fridge requires less energy to cool than an empty one.

3. How often should I restock my fridge to save energy?

It is not necessary to constantly restock your fridge in order to save energy. As mentioned earlier, a full fridge is more energy efficient, so try to keep it well-stocked but not overcrowded. Additionally, regularly checking the temperature settings and ensuring the seal on the fridge door is tight can also help reduce energy usage.

4. Is it better to turn off my fridge when I go on vacation or leave it stocked?

If you are only going away for a few days, it is generally more energy efficient to keep your fridge running and stocked with food. However, if you will be gone for an extended period of time, it may be more energy efficient to empty and unplug your fridge. Just be sure to properly clean and dry the interior before turning it off.

5. How much energy can I save by keeping my fridge stocked?

The amount of energy saved by keeping your fridge stocked will vary depending on factors such as the size and efficiency of your fridge, the type and amount of food being stored, and how often the fridge is opened. However, studies have shown that keeping your fridge full can save anywhere from 10-25% in energy usage compared to an empty fridge.