Register to reply

Calculate velocity of a 1MeV Neutron

by rem45
Tags: 1mev, neutron, velocity
Share this thread:
rem45
Aug26-14, 05:35 PM
P: 13
How would one calculate the velocity of a 1MeV neutron??

I tried the following the attached formula for V/C but E is less than the rest mass which yields the square root of a negative number. Not sure what to do for this
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 6.33.32 PM.png  
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Team finds elusive quantum transformations near absolute zero
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
jtbell
Aug26-14, 05:40 PM
Mentor
P: 11,862
1 MeV here is surely the kinetic energy, not the total (rest plus kinetic) energy.
rem45
Aug26-14, 05:43 PM
P: 13
It doesn't say. I guess that I will assume such. Is the 'E' in the equation I am using for the rest mass energy plus the kinetic energy?

Matterwave
Aug26-14, 08:51 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,951
Calculate velocity of a 1MeV Neutron

Since a neutron has a higher rest mass than 1MeV, then one should safely assume that kinetic energy is what is meant here.

The E in that equation is indeed the rest+kinetic energy.
mathman
Aug27-14, 03:57 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,104
Since the neutron rest mass is approximately 940 Mev, you probably could use E=(mv^2)/2 to get v. (v=c/22?).
mfb
Aug27-14, 05:03 PM
Mentor
P: 12,037
Quote Quote by mathman View Post
Since the neutron rest mass is approximately 940 Mev, you probably could use E=(mv^2)/2 to get v. (v=c/22?).
I agree that a nonrelativistic approach should be fine - it is a very good approximation.

Register to reply