Radiation Exposure - Safe Working Distance

• Thread starter quicknote
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radiation
In summary: The intensity decreases as the square of the distance. So if you are 1 meter away from the source, the intensity is 1/4 of the intensity if you are 2 meters away, and 1/2 of the intensity if you are 3 meters away. Intensity would be 5 rem (50 mSv) if you were 1 meter away from the source and 0.800 rem (8 mSv) if you were 3 meters away.
quicknote
The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission sets upper limits on the amounts of radiation allowable in the workplace. The maximum permissible dose for radiation workers is 5 rem (50 mSv) per year. Cobalt-60 is a radioisotope whose gamma rays are sometimes used in radiation treatment.
What is the safe working distance from an unshielded 60Co source that produces 0.800 rad per hour at a distance of 1m?

Quote your answer in metres.

Assume a 40 hour week, with a three-week holiday period per year. You will need to think about how the intensity falls off with distance; you may assume that the 60Co is a point source, and that the radiation is emitted isotropically.

I'm totally stumped with this question. I have no idea how to approach it.
I know that I have to get the units to match:
1 rad = 0.01 Gy

The equivalent dose of 50mSv per year would be 50mGy per year (assuming that the weight factor equals 1).

A friend of mine told me that the intensity is proportional to the 1/ (distance squared)... but how do I get the intensity?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
exposure also follows the inverse square law

Intensity is defined as the power radiated over a given area and as imabug says follows the inverse square law. Mathematically intesity can be defined as;

[tex]\left| I \right| = \frac{I_0}{r^2} = \frac{P}{4\pi r^2}[/tex]

Where I is instensity at a point r displaced from the source. [itex]I_0[/itex] is the intensity at the source, P is the power of the source. This formula assumes that no energy is lost to the medium through which the radiation is travelling.

Hope this helps
-Hoot :smile:

Perhaps the easiest way to approach it is to calculate the total exposure over the course of a year (in mrem). This gives exposure at 1 meter distance. Since exposure falls off at 1/r^2, just calculate the distance that would be required to reduce the exposure to the 5000 mrem limit. You can ignore the effects of decay since Co-60 has half life of 5.27 years (OK, you could be more precise by correcting for decay, but it would only decay a little over 12% by the time the year ended).

Thanks for the help!
I understand it a bit better now.

1. What is considered a safe working distance for radiation exposure?

The safe working distance for radiation exposure can vary depending on the type and strength of the radiation source. Generally, it is recommended to maintain a distance of at least 6 feet from a radiation source. However, for more intense sources, such as medical equipment or nuclear reactors, a larger distance may be necessary.

2. How do I determine the safe working distance for a specific radiation source?

The safe working distance can be determined by consulting the radiation safety guidelines provided by regulatory agencies, such as the Nuclear Regulatory Commission or the International Atomic Energy Agency. These guidelines take into account the type of radiation, its strength, and the duration of exposure to calculate a safe distance.

3. Can radiation exposure occur at a safe working distance?

Yes, radiation exposure can still occur at a safe working distance, but the risk is significantly reduced. The closer you are to a radiation source, the greater the exposure. However, even at a safe distance, it is important to follow all safety protocols and wear appropriate protective equipment.

4. How can I protect myself from radiation exposure at a safe working distance?

In addition to maintaining a safe distance, you can also protect yourself from radiation exposure by wearing appropriate protective gear, such as lead aprons or gloves. It is also important to follow all safety procedures and guidelines when working with radiation sources.

5. Are there different safe working distances for different types of radiation?

Yes, there are different safe working distances for different types of radiation. For example, the safe working distance for alpha radiation may be shorter than that for beta or gamma radiation. This is because the type of radiation and its energy level can affect its ability to penetrate and cause harm.