Samsung DVD/Home Theater Systems: USB Input for Any Device!

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
In summary, Samsung is starting to sell DVD/Home Theater systems with a USB input for pretty much any device that complies with the USB mass storage standard. The systems include support for most popular media formats, and some systems are the world's first to feature a USB Plug and Play port. The systems are relatively cheap, and digital sound and video is still transmitted from the streaming media device to the receiver.
russ_watters
Mentor
Samsung is starting to sell DVD/Home Theater systems with a USB input for pretty much any device that complies with the USB mass storage standard: flash disks, external hard drives, cameras, Ipods, etc. I'm actually not convinced about the Ipod/mp3 player thing though - they usually have proprietary software on top of the USB mass storage standard. I'll need to double-check that. Still, it is extremely cool. It plays most popular media formats: mpg, divx, wmv, mp3, jpg, etc.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/HomeTheater/HomeTheaterSystem/HT_P38THXAA.asp
Samsung has raised the convergence bar again with a host of new five-disc DVD-receiver systems, some of which are the world's first to feature a USB Plug and Play port so users can listen to music from their MP3/WMA devices.
It's cheap, too - I'm so excited, I'm going to buy one right now even though I don't move into my new townhouse for another 2 weeks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Thats cool... you could do that anyway if you were using Windows Media center.. or something like this

Cool and all, but think carefully, there are other options out there if you want this sort of functionality. Have you considered a streaming media center ? This basically uses a network connection to your PC to stream media (video/audio/photos) to your TV/AV setup. It also allows you to surf the Net from the TV as a bonus (though without a keyboard, this is crappy). Both wireless and wired setups can be used and USB is often supported (it has a port behind for direct connection).

This is the one I'm using : http://www.neuston.com/en/mc500.php Designed and made in Singapore. Works on Win/Mac/linux (I've tested Windows and Linux personally).

There are other units of the sort available.

The thing is, one way or another, I need the receiver, so that piece of equipment may as well have as many features as possible. Ie, instead of plugging a media center pc or network device into the receiver, now I plug the media itself directly into the receiver.

Plus, unless you have a really high-end receiver, you're getting analog sound and video from the streaming media device to the receiver. With mine, it stays digital a while longer, since the mp3/avi/etc decoding is done inside the receiver.

Still, it might be nice to have my media accessable from the network and directly by the receiver at the same time. I wonder if network hard drives can do simultaneous usb access...

Last edited:
Weak - I just found out that it only reads audio and photos off the USB interface - not videos. I don't see why they would do that, but damn, that sucks. I can still play divx on cd's though.

1. What is the USB input used for on Samsung DVD/Home Theater Systems?

The USB input on Samsung DVD/Home Theater Systems allows users to connect a variety of devices, such as smartphones, tablets, and laptops, to the system. This allows for playback of media files stored on these devices, providing a convenient way to enjoy content on a larger screen or with better sound quality.

2. Can any device be connected to the USB input?

Yes, as long as the device has a USB port and is compatible with the Samsung DVD/Home Theater System, it can be connected to the USB input. This includes devices such as cameras, MP3 players, and gaming consoles.

3. Are there any limitations to the types of media files that can be played through the USB input?

The Samsung DVD/Home Theater System is compatible with a wide range of media file formats, including MP3, WMA, JPEG, and DivX. However, it may not support certain formats or codecs, so it is recommended to check the user manual for a list of supported file types.

4. How do I access the USB input on the Samsung DVD/Home Theater System?

To access the USB input, simply plug in your device to the USB port on the system. Then, using the remote control, select the USB option from the source menu. You should now be able to navigate through the files on your device and play them on the Samsung DVD/Home Theater System.

5. Can I charge my device while it is connected to the USB input?

Yes, the USB input on Samsung DVD/Home Theater Systems can also be used to charge devices that are connected. This is especially useful for smartphones or tablets that may have low battery while playing media files through the system.

Back