Measuring Beauty | Can Beauty be Quantified?

In summary,")In summary, the conversation discusses whether beauty can be measured and if so, in what ways. Some suggest that it can be measured through physical factors such as clear skin and material wealth, while others argue that beauty is subjective and cannot be quantified. Some suggest that measuring reactions, such as pupil dilation or brain patterns, could be a way to gauge beauty. Others mention the idea of beauty being in the eye of the beholder and the difficulty in defining it due to individual interpretations. The conversation also touches on the idea of beauty in non-human things like flowers and rainbows, and the concept of something being the epitome of its kind as a measure of beauty.
Beauty has only one definition...

It is an ability to overcome, or raise oneself above, all causal and relational laws of nature!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wtfc said:
If a catterpillar was not beautiful, how would butterfly trun out to be beautiful.

Is potential for beauty the same as beauty? Is potential for intelligence (foetus) the same as possessing intelligence (adult boffin)?

I've got to be honest, wtfc; if you honestly think - on an emotional level rather than an intellectual level - that a maggot is equal in beauty to a butterfly, I would be very hestitant to see how you decorate your living room. :uhh:

shonagon53 said:
Here's a famous and interesting sociological exercise in measuring "beauty" as it exists as a social fact.

Pierre Bourdieu's "La Distinction" has been translated as "Distinction: A Social Critique of the Judgement of Taste".

... the matter is too complex to be discussed on a message board.]

Hello shonagon
thanks for the title
I went to amazon with your link and read about 10 pages for free

it is certainly a book worth looking at
if one is interested in taste and what underlies it

personally i believe there is a component of the sense of beauty which is genetically programmed because it has evolved
and that there are some survival/reproductive success things connected to being able to spot beauty almost reflexively---without rational or verbal process

of course much much much of one's taste is learned and even trained into one----and undoubtably correlates as Bourdieu says with social class (but I am interested in the evolved/genetically programmed substrate of it, which I think is there before training)

early on in this thread I have tried to introspect and express some of this about the sense of beauty

(sense of beauty seems operationally definable to me, but the abstract idea of "beauty" not so definable or only secondarily definable)

Requisites of measuring beauty

Well the term "MEASURE" lexically mean "...to regulate by a standard..." so i think that if this topic would be the case the closest posibble method is first we must set a certain reference point or a DATUM then set a standard and then postulate a unit of beauty. It is very hard for us to measure something (in this case beauty) in which we don't know where to refer or what is the regulating standard. Then if this requisites could not be satisfied then there would not be any possibility that BEAUTY could be measured--- and thence we could let out the term "BEAUTY" in the world of measurement and just consider it as just a psychological matter on how we evaluate certain things around us...

***KHOULSZZSZ***

marcus said:
personally i believe there is a component of the sense of beauty which is genetically programmed because it has evolved
and that there are some survival/reproductive success things connected to being able to spot beauty almost reflexively---without rational or verbal process

(but I am interested in the evolved/genetically programmed substrate of it, which I think is there before training)

(sense of beauty seems operationally definable to me, but the abstract idea of "beauty" not so definable or only secondarily definable)

Fully agree here. It's just a matter of what interests the researcher most.
I think that for all "cultural" matters, there can be a fundamental "evolutionary" or socio-biological explanation or at least an explanation referring to "subconscious" and non-reflective dynamics.

But then you're saying very universal things: being able to spot beauty serves survival; being able to smell bad things is necessary to spot out bad food and recognize people, etc...

These things are often so universal that they tend to become almost devoid of meaning (all people in all cultures eat food in order to survive).

My interest simply goes out more to how different groups have built different strategies of "organizing" beauty as a social construct. And how "beauty" can be used as a tool to distinguish groups and create boundaries between them.

I know this can be considered to be merely "the surface" on a deep layer of evolutionary processes. Although I think both lines of thought aren't mutually exclusive: distinguishing groups and forging group cohesion (through marks of identity, and culture in general -- which includes notions of beauty), are crucial for the survival of any group.

the number 42 said:
I've got to be honest, wtfc; if you honestly think - on an emotional level rather than an intellectual level - that a maggot is equal in beauty to a butterfly, I would be very hestitant to see how you decorate your living room. :uhh:

See, that's interesting. In this kind of debates, it's always interesting to refer to food preferences in different cultures. You simply can't imagine to eat dogs, horses or insects. And still, billions of people do it every day. And they simply can't imagine you to eat such disgusting things like pigs.

Again, everything from which you don't die when you eat it, can be considered to be "food". But if you say that, you say nothing. The interesting things begin when you start to look at why certain groups eat certain things, and how they use these food habits to distinguish themselves from other groups.

That's my dissatisfaction with mere socio-biological or evolutionary explanations of many things we humans do. We all eat. But that's too basic. That way you state the obvious. To me, socio-biology is often the science of stating the obvious.

Last edited:
shonagon53 said:
Fully agree here. It's just a matter of what interests the researcher most.
I think that for all "cultural" matters, there can be a fundamental "evolutionary" or socio-biological...

My interest simply goes out more to how different groups have built different strategies of "organizing" beauty as a social construct. And how "beauty" can be used as a tool to distinguish groups and create boundaries between them.

you seem to have the discussion well in hand.
I can come in and read a smattering of posts only sporadically
and so cannot contribute much to discussion

I thought Bourdieu was real interesting and hadnt seen it before

Alas, Bourdieu research was with French of 1960s
a culture and society no longer existing
all local cultures are being smashed by globalization
and some traditional people are angry

a friend of mine was invited to a conference about the book "Jihad and McWorld" and spoke with the author. It was a troubling experience and she did not seem entirely happy afterwards.

I love certain mathematics and certain circa 1800 vienna-type choral music.
If a Mullah who liked those things would come, maybe, in desperation, I would join a traditionalist group. We would have a rule against broadcast TV and rightwing Talkshows.

I normally decline to be objective about cultural values
(to do the kind of sociological study that interests you, it may be
necessary to make at least a show of objectivity)

I believe in the reality of beauty
I think the human mind has evolved
and it has evolved with an ability to have a sense of beauty
(the details do not matter to me. it does not matter if
some people love pig-stew and others love cow-stew
as long as they LOVE the food they eat and care about making it delicious)
the differences do not matter and they are sociological
accidents but somehow the human brain has evolved
an ability to thoroughly enjoy singing contrapuntal
4-part sacred choral music from 1750-1850

or 1950 new Jersey doo-wop

or the Paean to Apollo that Xenophon's soldiers sang when they
had to fight the hill-people of the Anabasis.

the amazing thing, the miracle, is that the mind should have
this love of music in the first place

and so on

and the stars

and screw the rest

(so as I say my particpation is extremely sporadic but I think
to discuss beauty and the sense of beauty is to discuss what is
absolutely the most important most essential thing)

shonagon53 said:
You simply can't imagine to eat dogs, horses or insects. And still, billions of people do it every day. And they simply can't imagine you to eat such disgusting things like pigs.

Again, everything from which you don't die when you eat it, can be considered to be "food".

Yes, we all eat food, from bugs to other people. And there are individual and cultural differences in what is preferred. Yet all of this stuff is 'food'. But apart from sideshows, people don't eat glass or metal. A categorical distinction can be made between 'food' and 'non-food'. And I am suggesting that some things can be considered 'pleasing to the eye' (beauty), and others 'unpleasing to the eye'. Of course there are individual and cultural variations, but only the severely disturbed can look at a car wreck or a mutilation and consider it 'beautiful'.

Can someone be sexually attractive yet have minimal beauty? Are beauty and attractiveness different? I guess it depends on whether you're talking about humans or just objects and images in general.

Anything can be beautiful if you look at it in the right way.

The Bob (2004 ©)

You mean when you're on drugs, right? In that case it would also depend on your mood. Plus, when you're drunk, a lot of people look beautiful/attractive that would not suit you on other occasions.

Last edited:
There is a lot of beauty here, this group creates it, free.

http://www.phidelity.com/cms2/index.php?set_albumName=album55&id=DSCF0449&option=com_gallery&Itemid=72&include=view_photo.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Twinbee said:
A
Question: Why is the chord C#, F#, B, Eb, F#, Bb, much, much better than C#, F#, C, Eb, G, Bb ?

Here are some more bad chords: C#, F, C, Eb, F#, Bb, ...or this one... D, F#, B, Eb, F, C
Here are some more good chords: C (in the bass followed by) Bb C D F G and A ... or: C Bb C# E G and A

Chords are good or bad depending on their context, how they are voiced, and how they are used -- in fast passages, or slow ones, how are they resolved etc. Your first example of a "bad" chord, could be used effectively in arpeggiated form -- you can hear dissonances like this in Charles Ive's works.I'm not so sure it's necessarily bad.

Actually, your next two "bad" chords are used in jazz music. The C# F C... can be thought of as a C# major 7 with an Eb minor on top, something you can find in Herbie Hancock's music. The D, F# etc is a D dominant 7 with a flat nine (Eb), a sharp 9(F) and a 13th(B) -- putting a natural 13th with flat/sharp ninths is somewhat unusual, but you can certainly hear it in Thelonius Monk's music.

It all depends.

As far as measuring beauty or other highly subjective matters, statisticians have developed some powerful techniques generally known as perceptual mapping and multidimensional scaling. They are often used in marketing -- largely developed at the University of Pennsylvania -- to get at such questions as how to balance sweetness vs. packaging -- the red or the blue -- and price -- and. Or, they have been used, sometime ago to find the characteristics of the "ideal" political candidate. The techniques are highly sophisticated and very mathematical, and, generally work with appropriate survey data.They are used fairly widely in market research, often with considerable success.

Years ago, I and some colleagues applied multidimensional scaling to see if we could discern what made a pop hit, and to learn how to use the technique. As best as I can remember, "the beat" was primary, and I don't recall what else.

But, these techniques could be use to try to measure beauty, and probably have been so used. This stuff is for real. Do a GOOGLE if you want to learn more.

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

I have only read a few recent posts so repeating, i apologize, but some may be interested in the following fact:

If many people of one sex selected at random have photos taken of their faces and these photos are the data base shown to many other people (usually only of the opposite sex, in most such psychological tests) and they rate the "beauty" of the faces, one that always rates very high is not any of the original photos, but a computer generated image that is effectively the average of the entire data base.

I think about this demonstrated result in the following terms: Cows are very different from humans (my group :smile: ) and none appear particularly beautiful to me. They differ in appearance too much from my group. Likewise any face that differs greatly from the average of all faces I see will be "ugly" (mouth not centered under the nose, etc.)

Conversely a face which is very typical will never be considered "ugly" so when its scores are added up in the test, it will rate well above average, if not "highly". Each individual making ratings of the faces will rarely select the same face as "most beautiful" (once mass culture effects are removed - no recognizable "models" in the data set etc.).

If the rating group is segregated into different ethic groups during the data analysis, their set of highly rated faces will tend to have characteristic of their ethnic group.

Not much surprizing in all this, but in some sense, beauty is like I have seen often and never far from the average.

Two words:

Beauty is relative. :biggrin: :tongue: :biggrin:

heh, i think i'd forgotten about this thread... lots of replies. thanks...

But really, i think people are focussing on people mostly. I'm really curious how it is that we all seem to be able to really appreciate rainbows or the stars. is it intrinsic? A lot of things in nature are generally agreed upon to be beautiful.

But anyways, i liked the thing about how when you look at something longer, it becomes more beautiful. I find that true in personal experience at least. Perhaps everything is beautiful then, but somethings take more time to appreciate? Also, about beauty being what is average... i think that's sort of true as well. At least perhaps, the most easily appreciated beauty tend to be most normal.

I think there's a ****load amount of nonsensical speculation in this thread...:yuck:

Daniel.

P.S.Ooops,it's in the phylosophy forum.It think that figures...:rolleyes:

Billy T
and they rate the "beauty" of the faces, one that always rates very high is not any of the original photos, but a computer generated image that is effectively the average of the entire data base.
A virtual digital inbreeding!

Kant measured beauty something along these lines- from prettyness through to sublime, and the sublime is perceived by the emotions it arouses of inadequacy and morality, negative emotions that when we realize we are actually the same as ever, we feel relief and joy.
I think the german idealists were the last to take this sort of study of beauty seriously- rather than as a call to justice, I remain pretty inadequate and immoral despite having this feeling quite a lot, and their ideals of attaining a notion of universal beauty were replaced (Adorno) by admittion of individual suffering- I think.

dextercioby said:
I think there's a ****load amount of nonsensical speculation in this thread...:yuck:

P.S.Ooops,it's in the phylosophy forum.It think that figures...:rolleyes:

Actually, I think this is one of those areas in which philosophy has rather serious practical implications. The way we view beauty will likely impact the way we approach many problems in our political, personal, and even scientific lives. And, of course, our view of beauty will influence that of others.

In our personal lives, the implications are obvious. If we want long-term happiness, should we focus primarily on superficial biological drivers, like physical appearance, or should we be looking for something deeper? I'm pretty curious about the answer to that question myself.

In the political realm, think of the current question of gay rights. Our cultural conception of the "beauty" behind a gay relationship will undoubtedly impact the decision we make about its legality.

Finally, there are many books on how scientists view the "beauty" of their work and how it impacts their opinions about new theories. I think most scientists would agree that relativity is a "beautiful" theory and they will likely use it as a standard for comparison to new ones. Why do they view it this way and is it really appropriate for them to do so?

It's my opinion that everybody should be at least a part-time philosopher because it's their responsibility to understand the guts of what they've devoted their lives to doing, whatever it may be. In particular, ethics are crucial. I think every physicist, in order to earn a Ph.D., should be required to have thought about potential ethical consequences of their work. In particular, we should all be thinking hard about Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Last edited:
fi said:
Kant measured beauty something along these lines- from prettyness through to sublime, and the sublime is perceived by the emotions it arouses of inadequacy and morality, negative emotions that when we realize we are actually the same as ever, we feel relief and joy.
I think the german idealists were the last to take this sort of study of beauty seriously- rather than as a call to justice, I remain pretty inadequate and immoral despite having this feeling quite a lot, and their ideals of attaining a notion of universal beauty were replaced (Adorno) by admittion of individual suffering- I think.

Jaspers thought much like Kant, but beleived that it wasn't the subleme. but he did think the rest.

That's interesting, Guille, I wasn't aware there was much existential dealing with beauty, may I have some more information to look it up? Is it to do with his transcendental cyphers?

wasteofo2 said:
"You can monitor someone's reaction, when sitting in a monitored environment, and relate that to perceived beauty. Dilatation of the pupil, sweating, smiling, maybe certain brain patterns."

If you really want to gague reaction to beauty, at least in men, there's a pretty obvious thing you can monitor that you left out...

Actually they have a device to measure stimulation in women as well. It looks like a tube with a little light in it that measures the flow of blood... well, you can guess the rest. I saw it on a show a few weeks ago. I believe it was called "Anatomy of Sex".

There have been studies done on what people find beautiful. It seems that we are generally attracted to overall symmetry. Ofcourse, the statistics only work over a large population. Individuals still refuse to cooperate. :rofl:

fi said:
That's interesting, Guille, I wasn't aware there was much existential dealing with beauty, may I have some more information to look it up? Is it to do with his transcendental cyphers?

Actually I don't have more info now. I will have it further in time, after reading more about Jaspers, its because I'm reading right now some of his lectures and, I mean, he didn't speak much about beauty, only a little, but didn't dedicate time to it. When he mentions beauty he doesn't speak about existence, well, now I just find something: "the nearest an object gets to the encompassing, the more it shows itself and how it is, and the reality of it's appearence creates increasingly more douptfullnes about it's beauty" and more things...I do know that Kant and Kierkegaard were the most inportant philosofers in Jaspers... haven't reach any place were he talks about "trascendental cyphers". When I get to know more, I will post it

Last edited:
Gale17 said:
well again, i suppose i rather think of people as sort of exceptions, and i really don't mean human beauty. what makes certain flowers beautiful? or paths? or things like that. i don't have an opinion yet on forms, but if such things were true, then it'd seem that it'd make sense that beauty could be based on somethings resemblance of a form. Perhaps forms have more aspects than even just physical ones. I'm not even sure what the textbook definition of forms would be.

and as far as socrates being a saint... pfft...

I would say that beauty depends entirely on a persons aesthetic values. When a person looks at something and it pleases them then it is beautiful. One person could look at a flower and think it beautiful because it fits into some symbolic image they have of what the world should be. Another person might step carelessly all over your petunias without a second though because flowers have no signifigance in their personal ideology.

Ancient greeks had a thing similar to this concept. Hmm, what was it called? I think they called it archetypes. An archetype was a perfect example of whatever it represented. These things could not exist in reality because they were just so perfect. So somewhere there was a perfect chair that exemplified every idea of what a chair should be. Substitute chair with whatever you like and you got the idea.

The concept of beauty is connected to the concepts of good and evil.

What was the question again?
Huck

Last edited:
If my girlfriend thinks a flower is beautiful, and I don't, is it because she is equipped with special sensors to "see the beauty," and I am not? Or perhaps, I have not opened my beauty sensors sufficiently?

Lots of Buddhist and Hindu traditions stress that it is possible to "see the beauty" in rocks and in the face of your enemy, etc... in everything, because it's everywhere. I guess the Christians say the same, for the kingdom of heaven is everywhere, and all that.

So, it's up to you. You bend and twist your mind through meditation in order to think that everything is beautiful, putting on your "beauty glasses" as it were, or you can go the western route and either follow the social fashions or explore your own uncertain subconscious recreations.

Whatever you do, I guess one thing is for certain - it's not advisable to go through life thinking nothing is beautiful.

Thanks, Guille, I will keep a look out for your post. Its a nice thought that there is something more to beauty, that Plato, Kant, Jaspers may share. Would be nice to think there was something in it.

one word i know will answer the question--- postmoderism ---

it is when a society has no set absolute truth, one thing may appear to one person one way, and to another another way.

in my opion, everyone should see themselves as beutiful, and if they do not, it is due to believing someone telling them they are not. And if eveyone can see themselves as beutiful, then everyone is beutiful.

And to end,
Huckleberry, you need to watch more family movies.
Just from the title i can tell it must be dirty,
and that is one reason why people think
'if I am not caught, then what i do is not illeagal'

lawtonfogle said:
And to end,
Huckleberry, you need to watch more family movies.
Just from the title i can tell it must be dirty,
and that is one reason why people think
'if I am not caught, then what i do is not illeagal'

I'm not certain what you are trying to say. Do I really want to know?

ok, from the title, the movie sounds like something i would not watch at home, school, or church. It sounds like a NR-Mature rated, or at least a R rating.

At school, many people who break the law, form speeding to doing drugs, say they are not breaking the law because they have not been caught. In other words, what i do is fine and not wrong unless I am caught, is how they think. An R-rated movie is not something that will change this. It encourages this, some R-rated movies say sex out side of marriage is ok. Others say killing someone is ok. And even if the bad guy is punished in the end, there always seems to be someone who is killed or hurt. If you like watching this watch the news. (which i think should become R-rated because of the things they show.)

Anyways, i looked up a family friendly reveiw of the movie, and it is something that i think should be a crime to film. You can do something better with your time than this. Try watching the Sci channel.

Huckleberry said:
I'm not certain what you are trying to say. Do I really want to know?

What i mean is not something nasty. I am a Christian and not one of those hipporcrits ones people seem to stereotype nowa days.

I really have no idea what you are talking about. I didn't mention any movies. I mentioned a show, and it was a scientific show measuring sexual stimulation, which is related to physical beauty. I think we are talking about two entirely different things here.

well, i did not see the show, and what i heard about it said it was sexual show

i thought it meant a movie, like lord of the rings, sherk, ect.
which led me to think it was something like a waterdown playboy show

sorry, i just know it is something i do not need to watch.

anything on that subject ill learn when i get married, besides for what your parents tell you

I believe there is already something about it.

It is about feeling, it is about golden ratio as somebody says...
I believe it is a Vector/Tensor of requirement...
:biggrin:
Here is the link I wanted to share:--
http://tlc.discovery.com/convergence/humanface/articles/mask.html
So, ask the comp guys write a program...that is it, and you are done...
Even if you want, build own mask based upon requirement...it is all in the face-space.
:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think anybody mentioned anything about this, but... symmetries in nature are naturally beautiful.