Streamer Chamber Particle Detector Info

• Thread starter withStyle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chamber
In summary, the conversation is about the search for information on a Streamer Chamber particle detector. The person has tried googling but couldn't find a good source for their assignment. They mention that the streamer chamber is an improvement of a spark chamber and are looking for a specific article on the topic. Another person suggests using scholar.google.com for the search. The conversation then shifts to discussing a specific paper on the topic by Gerald Eilenberg at the University of Washington Physics Department. The person also mentions the use of different gases and high sensitivity photo detectors in the design of the chamber. They also mention that it was built inside a 10,000 gauss electromagnet.
withStyle
hi there, can someone tell me where can i get a good information for a Streamer Chamber particle detector, i'd tried googling and still can't find a good one for my assignment. thanks in advance :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
withStyle said:
hi there, can someone tell me where can i get a good information for a Streamer Chamber particle detector, i'd tried googling and still can't find a good one for my assignment. thanks in advance :smile:

Do you mean a cloud chamber?

no its not a cloud chamber, i think streamer chamber is an improvement of a spark chamber.

withStyle said:
no its not a cloud chamber, i think streamer chamber is an improvement of a spark chamber.

Check out this paper.http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v25/i10/p635_1

Try scholar.google.com with the search:
"streamer chamber" detector

unfortunately that article you suggested are for sold :frown: and from the looks of it , it must be for an advanced student or a scientist, and I am still an under gradute student right now :smile:,
oh yes, i never knew that there was a scholar.google.com, it must be new , i think i'll search some more using this method, thanks :smile:

http://en.scientificcommons.org/4164757

I was a research assistant on this project by Gerald Eilenberg at the University of Washington Physics Department. The thesis paper fully outlined the design of the entire system including capacitive power supply used to place a high energy charge on the internal plates. Different inert and nobel gasses were used . And how high sensitivity photo dectectors were used to pulse the power supply and operate high speed 35mm cameras.

If my memory is correct, ours was built inside a 10,000 gauss electromagnet.

1. What is a streamer chamber particle detector?

A streamer chamber particle detector is a type of particle detector used in high-energy physics experiments to study subatomic particles. It consists of a gas-filled chamber with an electric field, which causes particles passing through the chamber to ionize the gas and produce streams of charged particles called "streamers." These streamers can be measured and analyzed to determine the properties of the particles that created them.

2. How does a streamer chamber particle detector work?

The streamer chamber particle detector works by using an electric field to ionize the gas inside the chamber. When a high-energy particle passes through the chamber, it knocks electrons off the gas molecules, creating a trail of ionized particles. These ionized particles are then attracted to the oppositely charged electrodes in the chamber, creating visible streamers. The position and characteristics of these streamers can be measured to determine the properties of the particle that created them.

3. What are the advantages of using a streamer chamber particle detector?

One of the main advantages of using a streamer chamber particle detector is its high sensitivity and accuracy in detecting and measuring subatomic particles. It is also relatively inexpensive and easy to construct, compared to other types of particle detectors. Additionally, streamer chambers can handle high particle fluxes, making them suitable for use in high-energy physics experiments.

4. What types of particles can be detected with a streamer chamber particle detector?

A streamer chamber particle detector can detect a wide range of particles, including electrons, protons, neutrons, and other subatomic particles. It can also detect gamma rays and other high-energy photons. However, it is most commonly used to study charged particles, as they create the visible streamers that are measured by the detector.

5. Are there any limitations to using a streamer chamber particle detector?

While streamer chamber particle detectors are highly sensitive and accurate, they do have some limitations. They are most effective at detecting charged particles, so they cannot be used to study neutral particles like neutrinos. The electric field in the chamber can also cause some particles to lose energy, leading to inaccuracies in the measurements. Additionally, streamer chambers may not be suitable for use in experiments that require precise timing measurements, as the streamers can take several microseconds to form.