Unprecedented Diversity of Marine Bacteria Discovered

In summary: Woese theory is that there are three domains of life: the prokaryotes, the eukaryotes, and the archaea. The prokaryotes are the smallest and simplest life form, and they include all the bacteria and archaea. The eukaryotes are the largest and most complex life form, and they include plants, animals, and fungi. The archaea are the most primitive life form, and they don't have cells and they don't have DNA.
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
New finds from (aquatic) microbial cataloguing studies show that there's way more kinds of bacterial life in seawater than previously estimated.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5232928.stm

One litre of seawater can contain more than 20,000 different types of bacteria, scientists have found.

The extraordinary number has been established by an international project attempting to catalogue all ocean life.

It suggests microbial biodiversity is much greater than previously thought, say Mitchell Sogin and colleagues.
Couldn't easily find the original source. Maybe it's not made it's way out yet?

Related article :
https://darchive.mblwhoilibrary.org/bitstream/1912/867/1/3846.pdf

Biology news on Phys.org
Great information gokul!

Cool article! I just want to make sure, if I'm missing something, how is that related article, well, related? :smile:

It says that the researchers found more archaea than bacteria in sediments, which I find interesting, because in intro-biology I wasn't taught that there was a difference. I remember learning that all eukaryotes were basically called bacteria and that there were some called "archaebacteria," but that's it. We focused on the eukaryotic/prokaryotic distinction.

The BBC article on the other hand doesn't mention archaea.

Also, here's an interesting Wiki article I found while trying to learn more. It looked like this distinction was controversial for a little while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-domain_system

Last edited:
Mickey said:
It says that the researchers found more archaea than bacteria in sediments, which I find interesting, because in intro-biology I wasn't taught that there was a difference. I remember learning that all eukaryotes were basically called bacteria and that there were some called "archaebacteria," but that's it. We focused on the eukaryotic/prokaryotic distinction.

Most textbook don't change and a lot of Prof don't want to change. My intro the micro prof did not like the new classification system because it uses DNA sequence rather than morphology and physiology of organism.

The eukaryotes and prokaryotes is still used because most people are ignorant of the work by Woese et al. or argue for the dichonomy system (i.e. Ford Doolittle) and there still is argument about it

http://scienceblogs.com/aetiology/2006/05/are_we_teaching_a_wrong_idea.php

I made a review of Woese theory
http://www.physicspost.com/articles.php?articleId=175

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How was the unprecedented diversity of marine bacteria discovered?

The unprecedented diversity of marine bacteria was discovered through the use of advanced DNA sequencing techniques and bioinformatics analysis. Researchers collected water samples from various marine environments, isolated DNA from the bacteria present in the samples, and then sequenced and analyzed the DNA to identify and classify the different types of bacteria present.

2. What makes this discovery of marine bacteria diversity significant?

This discovery is significant because it reveals that the diversity of marine bacteria is far greater than previously thought. It also highlights the importance of studying and understanding the role of these bacteria in marine ecosystems and their potential for biotechnological applications.

3. What types of environments were the marine bacteria found in?

The marine bacteria were found in a wide range of environments, including open ocean waters, coastal areas, deep sea hydrothermal vents, and even in sediments and ice samples from polar regions. This demonstrates the widespread distribution of marine bacteria and their ability to thrive in diverse conditions.

4. How does the discovery of this unprecedented diversity of marine bacteria impact our understanding of marine ecosystems?

This discovery significantly expands our understanding of marine ecosystems and the role that bacteria play in them. The vast diversity of bacteria found suggests that they play a crucial role in maintaining the health and balance of these ecosystems, and further research is needed to fully understand their impact.

5. What are the potential applications of this discovery?

The discovery of unprecedented diversity of marine bacteria has potential applications in biotechnology, such as the production of new antibiotics, enzymes, and other bioactive compounds. It also has implications for understanding and mitigating the effects of climate change on marine ecosystems, as bacteria play a crucial role in nutrient cycling and other important processes.

Back