Electrostatic Equilibrium on the x-axis

In summary, the question asks for the placement of a positive charge on the x-axis in order to result in a zero resultant force. After some trial and error and using Coulomb's law, the answer is determined to be 0.571428571 m away from the origin. The calculations were based on the inverse square relationship between the forces and the distances between the charges. The correct answer was confirmed after correcting an algebraic error in the calculations.
kevykevy
Question - Three charges lie along the x acis as shown below. The negative charge q1 = 25 uC is at x = 2.0 m, the negative charge q2 = 6.0 uC is at the origin. Where must a positive charge q3 be placed on the x-axis such that the resultant force on it is zero?

Answer - I was thinking the third charge (q3) would be in the middle of the other two charges, my only doubt is that that would be too easy of an answer seeing how this is supposed to be harder than the normal homework. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
After re-reading the question, I realize that the two negative charges are different. So should I place the q3 6/15 away from q2?

kevykevy said:
After re-reading the question, I realize that the two negative charges are different. So should I place the q3 6/15 away from q2?
Your leaning somewhat in the right direction, but the forces are inversely proportional to the square of the distance betwen charges. Use Coulomb's law to write the forces calling one distance x and the other distance 2m - x and make the magnitudes of the two forces equal.

k so I'll have:

(9x10^9)(6x10^-6)(q3)/x = (9x10^9)(1.5x10^-5)(q3)/2 - x

54000(q3)/x = 135000(q3)/2 - x

54000/x = 135000/2 - x

108000/x = 135000/-x

108000(-x) = 135000(x)

How do I solve from there? Did I make an algebraic error?

I tried again and found my mistake, so my final answer is:

x = 0.571428571 m

Correct?

kevykevy said:
I tried again and found my mistake, so my final answer is:

x = 0.571428571 m

Correct?
I don't know if that is the correct result, but in your previous post the denominators should all have been squared. Did you fix that?

1. What are electrostatic charges?

Electrostatic charges are the imbalanced distribution of electric charge on the surface of an object. This can be caused by the transfer of electrons from one object to another, resulting in one object having a positive charge and the other having a negative charge.

2. How do electrostatic charges behave?

Electrostatic charges follow the principle of like charges repelling and opposite charges attracting. This means that objects with the same type of charge will push away from each other, while objects with opposite charges will be pulled towards each other.

3. What is the difference between static and dynamic charges?

Static charges refer to the accumulation of electric charge on the surface of an object, while dynamic charges refer to the movement of electric charge through a conductor. While static charges remain in one place, dynamic charges can flow and produce an electric current.

4. How is electrostatic charge measured?

Electrostatic charge is measured in units of Coulombs (C) using a device called an electroscope. This device can detect the presence and strength of an electric charge on an object.

5. What are some real-world applications of electrostatic charges?

Electrostatic charges have many practical applications, such as in photocopiers, air purifiers, and spray painting. They are also important in industries such as electronics and printing, where precise control of electrostatic charges is necessary for efficient and accurate processes.